Home
Posted By: msuhunter VX1 vs vari x II - 07/05/12
Are the newer model VX 1 just the old Vari x II or is that just a rumor. If they are not how do they compare to the Vari X II
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: VX1 vs vari x II - 07/05/12
The VXI is the old Vari-XII. The VX1 is supposedly the "old" VXII. Clear as mud?..
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: VX1 vs vari x II - 07/05/12
Leupold says that the Rifleman is equal to the old Vari-X II.

Cut & pasted from the FAQ under Resources on the Leupold site:

VX-II:

The VX-II line (2003 and older) uses a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II (discontinued) technology. VX-II�s also utilize �-MOA click adjustments, but the lens coatings are unique. The external lenses are coated with Multicoat 4 and the internal lenses are coated with magnesium fluoride.

Beginning in 2004, the VX-II line is fully multicoated (Mulitcoat 4?) and will perform comparably to the discontinued Vari-X III line.

VX-I:

The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing �-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride.

Rifleman :

Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (�-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II that helped build the Leupold reputation. It is important to note that Custom Shop options (reticle changes, target adjustment installation, etc.) are not available for the Rifleman line of scopes.

Jeff
Posted By: TJAY Re: VX1 vs vari x II - 07/05/12
I have read that the the new VX-I scope has click adjustments.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: VX1 vs vari x II - 07/06/12
VX-I or VX-1?

Do you think that Leupold could have done a better job of differentiating the scopes such that when changes were made the designation would have been obvious? They changed the VX-II in 2004, different/better/improved lens coating, but the name remained the same. Naming the different/better/improved scopes the VX-IIc, as they did when they upgraded the Vari-X II to Vari-X IIc might have been helpful.

Jeff
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: VX1 vs vari x II - 07/06/12
Check here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/timeline-...32452_post463142.html?KW=flagship#463142
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: VX1 vs vari x II - 07/06/12
I wonder where that matrix came from?

I didn't see it on the Leupold site.

The only flaw that I see is that it doesn't differentiate the early, thru 2003, VX-II from the later, 2004-2011, VX-II.

Jeff
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: VX1 vs vari x II - 07/06/12
It's from the Optics Talk Forum (SWFA).

Editied to add:

Oops, misunderstood your question. I'm quite sure SWFA is one of Leupold's largest retailers so it probably came from Leupy indirectly.
© 24hourcampfire