Home
I have a kimber 8400 classic 270 wsm....want to scope it with a swaro av 40mm obj. What ring height do I need to clear the ocular in the one piece talley rings?

Thanks,
Mike
My 8400 with VXIII 2.5-8 liked the Talley lows. The Swaro may have a larger ocular. Measure the required clearance and call Talley. They're good folks and ready with advice.
low Talley's is your huckleberry wink
Thanks for the info
Not familiar with your Swaro but I've got a Kimber 8400 Classic in 300WSM and using Talley LW Lows my Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 ocular bell clears by maybe a mm, no more. Hope that helps...
Never Seen a 40MM Swarovski. Most are 36mm, 42mm, 50mm, Or 56MM. But The Lows Will Still Work With The 42mm..
I think I'm using Mediums on my 8400 Whizzum and a 40mm Leup.
I'm using lows on my 8400 WSM with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold
The OP's question went to the ocular clearance.
Thanks for the info guys....gonna order the lows and see what happens...thanks again
Originally Posted by masrx
I have a kimber 8400 classic 270 wsm....want to scope it with a swaro av 40mm obj. What ring height do I need to clear the ocular in the one piece talley rings?

Thanks,
Mike

Which AV has a 40mm objective?

Do you mean clears the objective, or ocular?

Anyway, you want Talley LW low's. They aren't as low as most low's and are perfect on an 8400.

I have a 3-10x42mm Swaro AV on mine and it clears fine. If you meant to address the ocular, I've also mounted a 3-9x40 Conquest, which has a much bigger ocular, and it was also fine.
Upon further review it is the 3x10x42 swaro av. Sorry, originally posted from work.....thanks for the info...think I will order the lows tonite.
I wish I had a pic showing clearances (I'm away from my guns) but here's my 8400 with a 3-10x42 AV in Talley LW low's.

[Linked Image]

I hesitate to offer mounting advice because I am, as mathman puts it, a statistical outlier with how I mount scopes. I like them back towards me. With that said, I did switch to the extension Talley LW's and that makes the AV really work great for me. That looks like THIS. Hope the paint job doesn't cost you your lunch..... grin....

[Linked Image]
Thanks a lot Jeff, I just got beaten up for looking at such gay schit on my computer!
I find it helps to emphatically howl to the heavens that you aren't gay. Constantly.

You might try that?
I think that might give people the wrong idea....
Well, to each his own when it comes to scope mounting....thanks for the pics...looks like the lows will work, no matter where my scope is mounted!
I thought about mounting it to work better for others than for me, but luckily my GAF kicked in. smile

My AV has been a really great scope on that rifle. I spin the turret on it and shoot out to 700 or so yards all the time. Excellent tracking and repeatability (if that matters for your intended use).
i ordered lows last nite...i cant wait to put everything together and see how things go...
© 24hourcampfire