Home
So I shot a buck last year with my Weatherby Ultra Lightweight .30-06 topped with a 2001 DOM Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40. The picture shows a fatal gunshot wound to the neck.

[Linked Image]

The only problem was, I was aiming low behind the shoulder. And yes, I had a good rest over my hunting pack, not a hard surface. Breathe, sight picture, squeeeeeze...That was the most recent time I fired the rifle.
I took the scope off recently to swap it with another scope and lo and behold it feels as if something is broken inside, near the power ring. When I shake the scope (gently) back and forth something is clearly moving inside the tube. I can feel it as well as hear it.
I've moved the power ring, the eyepiece, and the lock ring but they aren't the problem. Since I haven't fired the rifle since deer season I don't know how it groups. I did not drop the rifle or bang the scope on anything.
Has this happened to anyone else?

P
I didn't have anything break lose that I could physically hear or feel, but I've had two that have failed and quit holding zero. I'd send it in for repair. About the only positive thing I have to say about the Leupolds I've owned is that they do fix it for you.
"Broken Leupold - diagnose, please".

Its broken.
Well since you are right up near Potland.... just zing it over to Beaverton and the factory will clear up the mystery.... while repairing it at no charge or just replacing the scope...

shouldn't be an issue...
I happened to my old m8 4x before I bought it, which is why it was so cheap. I sent it to Leupold for repair and it has been fine since then (about 20 yrs ago).
I've sent scopes in before, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced the same symptoms.

P
Same thing happened to me, with a Swaro A 3-10x42. I couldn't hear rattling, but it wouldn't/couldn't hold zero, or anywhere close to it.
There was a post from 2010 asking how do you know when your scope took a dump?

Originally Posted by pigster
When you aim for a clean heart/lung shot and the deer drops dead of a neck shot, close to his head. Happened to me a few years back, ripped the scope off and tossed it without investigating.

It wasn't a Leupold though.
I'll expand on JSTUART's concise post: Something inside is broken.
Genius!
That's exactly what Jerry at Leupold said this morning!

P
© 24hourcampfire