Home
Posted By: timbo762 Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32 - 10/14/12
Has anyone here had any experience with the Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32?
Writing Frog, Dom in France, wrote a piece about that scope some time back. I tried to pull it up but the Fire search engine lacks horsepower. Or maybe I'm not using it correctly... crazy

Anyway, his report wasn't that 6500 1.25-8x32 friendly.

Maybe someone can chime in, or maybe Dom will answer your question.

I wrote this scope off my wish list.

DF

I have one on a 375 Ruger

The scope is clear and rugged and does what I expect it to

The one thing you need to consider is the 6" eye relief. I had to get a picatinny rail in order to get it far enough forward

[Linked Image]
Maybe it would work well on a #1 Ruger. To me, the rings on that gun are too far forward for me, as I like my scopes mounted in a more rearward position. The long ER may work very well there.

IIRC, Dom was complaining about FOV. Long ER cuts into FOV.

How is your experience with that issue?

DF
I am aware of the narrower field of view due to long eye relief. Damn those laws of physics, they sure get in the way.
With a lower power of 1.25 and a FOV of 60' at that power level, the FOV is not an issue

However there is some "tunnel vision" where the outside of the sight picture is thicker than it should be, IMO

And the "eye box" (head alignment in order to get sight picture) is a little tricky
I have two on 375HH's and one on 416RemMag. I carry them on low power then go up as needed for the situation. I shoot them with both eyes open low power. Works well. I like the scopes very much.
Have any of you guys examined the VX-6 1-6x24?

DF
How in the hell does Leupold get 223" of FOV out of that VX-6????
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Maybe it would work well on a #1 Ruger. To me, the rings on that gun are too far forward for me, as I like my scopes mounted in a more rearward position. The long ER may work very well there.

IIRC, Dom was complaining about FOV. Long ER cuts into FOV.

How is your experience with that issue?

DF

Regarding it's use on a Number 1, I was thinking the same thing.
The eye relief on the VX-6 is only 3.8".
3.8" is PLENTY of ER and you get an ASTONISHING 223" FOV!!!

I need one of these scopes.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
How in the hell does Leupold get 223" of FOV out of that VX-6????

It is a great scope with one of the best eyeboxes I've seen. The glass is super and I think the VX-6 series represents one of the best buys for high end quality scopes on the market.

I had posted those VX-6 1-6x24 FOV values earlier and FOsteology let me know they weren't correct, supplying the right numbers. I don't know where Leupold came up with those "Disney" numbers... blush

BTW. I did some trading with FOst, ending up with his Zeiss Victory Diavari 1.5-6x42 T*. That scope is amazing. My VX-6 1-6x24 isn't far behind. The glass is pretty close and the German #4, Illuminated reticle is just what I was looking for.

DF
Hence my question of how the hell Leupold gets that FOV number.

It's in both their catalog and on their website though.

Love to know the real numbers.

I know the 3.3" ER 1.25-4 Elite has a FOV of 81'.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Hence my question of how the hell Leupold gets that FOV number.

It's in both their catalog and on their website though.

Love to know the real numbers.

I know the 3.3" ER 1.25-4 Elite has a FOV of 81'.

I saw photos of your 1.25-4 when you got it.

What's it mounted on these days?

DF
It's going to go on a Savage 99 I haven't received yet.
How about posting a photo when you get it put together.

That should be a nice rig.

DF
Will do.
The 223' FOV is obviously a misprint. I just looked and Leupold says the same scope with the illuminated reticle has a more believable 115' FOV. Anyway, I realize there are many great scopes starting between 1x and 1.5x and ending at 6x with a 3.5" to 4" eye relief. What attracted me to the 6500 is that it ends up at 8x with a 6" eye relief and doesn't cost a $1,000.00 or more.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32 - 10/18/12
Fixed 4 and 6x works great on Ruger #1s, and surely a 2-7, 2-8 and others will.

I like Elite glass, but at a price point. If it's higher than other comparable scopes of other brands by a big margin, it's a deal breaker for me.

You can find alot of scopes, w/QUALITY from 200-400 dollars...w/good ER. What rifle are you mounting?
The Elites are great buys, especially with the close out on the 4200's. Some of those went pretty cheap, for their quality of glass.

nsaqam put me onto a special deal for the Chinese version, which I bought for a friend. That's a nice scope for the buck, too. It seems about as nice as the Japanese version, but I'll let time decide that.

DF
How well do these 6500's track BTW?
Originally Posted by woods
I have one on a 375 Ruger

The scope is clear and rugged and does what I expect it to

The one thing you need to consider is the 6" eye relief. I had to get a picatinny rail in order to get it far enough forward

[Linked Image]

Are the turrets identical to the 2.5-16 model?
Originally Posted by Fotis
How well do these 6500's track BTW?

No problems, although I haven't done a lot of testing of my 2.5-16.

DF
Originally Posted by Fotis

Are the turrets identical to the 2.5-16 model?

Don't know

Here are the turrets on the 1.25x8

[Linked Image]

the turret caps pull up and disengage to reset to zero
Identical Thank you!
I came across this old post as I was considering putting one up for sale. This is a great big bore scope. If anyone is interested, I have one that I’ll sell for $425, shipped. I can email pictures. Thanks, Bob
© 24hourcampfire