Home
Posted By: Zs84 Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/08/12
Is anybody else unimpressed with this scope? I understand its practicality on long actions, durability and simplicity. I guess for the price I thought it would be way better than the old m8 3x, but I personally can't see it.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/08/12
I haven't tried the FXII, but if its the same scope as my M8 I'd have zero complaints.
Posted By: timbo762 Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/09/12
Given the relative simplicity of a fixed power design, there's not much in the way of improvements to a 3x scope you could see with the naked eye unless the one you're comparing it to is really inferior. In this case, the old M8 version was a pretty good scope and I owned one myself back in the day. I would imagine any changes were to make the features more in line with other FXII scopes, such as 1/4 moa adjustments and multi coating. I'm surprised they still offer a 3x fixed scope at all.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/09/12
Zs84,

You can definitely see the optical difference between the FX-II 3x20 and the M8 in dim light.

The big reason Leupold started making a 3x after an absence of over 20 years, however, was demand from hunters who really like 'em, especially on dangerous game rifles with longer actions. Leupold figured they might as well update the optics and adjustments while they were at it.
Posted By: chas05 Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/09/12
how was your hunt?
It was excellent! I got a decent 6x6 bull elk, and all three of my companions did as well. Got to spend several days with new and old friends as well, all of them a lot of fun.

Just cut a shoulder steak off the carcass of my bull and cooked it up this evening to see how tender and tasty it might be. After aging almost a week it was excellent in both regards. It's always nice to kill a big elk and end up with a lot of good meat!
I think good elk is the best red meat there is. Bon appetit.
Posted By: Zs84 Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/09/12
I guess the slightly smaller field of view and the slightly higher magnification kind of turned me off a little given the applications I would use a fixed 3x. I should note that I will be keeping mine. I was just really excited when I ordered it. When in use the two aforementioned traits were noticeable.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/09/12
The FXII 3x20 is one of those sliced bread, hallelujah things for me. Real-world, what else would one want for eastern hunting (only thing I know)? It's 3x (3.4x), lots of length/adjustability, and weighs nothing. Reticle choices/custom. Compact overall dimentions. If shoot it side by side with high-end glass, I notice the modest image, but that matters not in the end. Really like a conquest 4x, too, but that's honking and heavy in comparison. Have the Leup on a M70 FWT and Husky 1640 - made to be there.
I actually like the slightly higher magnification, after having taken two of the new scopes to Africa. Plus I've found field of view is one of the most over-rated aspects of scopes. Probably the most extreme example was killing a big wild boar at 10 yards with a 6x--and the boar was running.

Have killed around 15 African animals with the new 3x, ranging from bushbuck at 250 yards to a Cape buffalo at 30-35 as he was standing in deep shadow. There was plenty of FOV both above and below his chest, and I appreciated the little bit of extra brightness when aiming at a black animal in shadow.

I've used two of the new 3x's, on two trips to Africa, one with a standard Duplex and one with the Heavy Duplex. Both worked great, but I tend to prefer the HD. YMMV...
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/09/12
thanks for head up.

now if one day we re able to get those in Canada ... i know we can dream .... i like my "old" M8 ...
Plus, they are one of the few scopes that look like they actually "belong" on a big game rifle.
Posted By: battue Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/09/12
Have two of the new ones and like them more than a little. Image is sharp on both. Only thing I notice is that it appears a little flat. Not sure how else to describe it.

However, when it comes using time I don't notice it.
Posted By: chas05 Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/09/12
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It was excellent! I got a decent 6x6 bull elk, and all three of my companions did as well. Got to spend several days with new and old friends as well, all of them a lot of fun.

Just cut a shoulder steak off the carcass of my bull and cooked it up this evening to see how tender and tasty it might be. After aging almost a week it was excellent in both regards. It's always nice to kill a big elk and end up with a lot of good meat!

Very cool, I just finished my last course of tag soup...delicious...my son has a couple more servings set aside for me. blush

Charlie
Posted By: jt402 Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/10/12
Back when I was a young buck, scopes in 2.5, 3, and 4 powers were what hunters used. We killed lots of stuff with them, and we still can!

Love my M8 3X, but think it needs a German #1 reticle for my Ruger No. 1SC. I think I will lay in a new version also. They might go away again. jack
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/10/12
JB - congrats on your nice bull sir.

I am w/JB on the 3.4x and the FOV, I'd want the new FXII. I had a 4x33 - FOV 24ft at 100 yds, and PLENTY, the 3.4 has 30! Not bad at all....

As to FOV, if one REALLY needs a larger FOV, then I'd opt for a 2.5x (40ft fov) or Irons - just me.

Re: G1, I had one in a 4x33 and it's a GREAT set up for fast shots wink I used it on a 357 lever and talk about quick to POA!
Posted By: VernAK Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/10/12
I like mine a lot but would like it more if they had offered a post reticle and the windage knob on the left side instead of right side.
Posted By: battue Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/11/12
You can rotate it to make it so. It will work, except your directions will be reversed. Top will adjust windage and left side will adjust elevation.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/11/12
Very aware of rotating scope but that only works with duplex or crosshairs. The German reticles would cause me to want to twist my head 90.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/11/12
Battue, I was almost going to post the same thing! No doubt if Vern does a G reticle that option is off the table.

I wonder how often is one going to use the windage after sight in?
Posted By: Zs84 Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/12/12
Well my fxii 3x20 is growing on me. The more I use it the more I like it. I had a shot at a little spike horn the other evening in fading light under similar conditions the m8 3x might have left a little to be desired. I passed on the deer but the traits that I expressed disappointment with my new 3x may have been an over reaction on my part. I noticed that the 3.4x would be just the ticket for threading shots through the bushes in the country I hunt. cut me some slack I'm new here and in my 20's. i have a lot to learn yet. At least I didn't spend that $300 on a down payment for a scope that weighs two pounds and is Internet ready.
Posted By: battue Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/12/12
Glad it is working out. They are a great little wood/semi-open area scope and I really like them.

Now, if you want to spend some money grin take a look at the Leupold 1.5-5 and you may see another scope that just fits on rifles that get carried a lot along with being a great all-rounder that will not break the bank.

Bottom rifle is wearing one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/13/12
Zs84 - you are doing fine, stick around, much to share and learn here.

Welcome to the fire.
Posted By: NH_Sharpshooter Re: Leupold fxii 3x20 - 11/15/12
Originally Posted by Zs84
Well my fxii 3x20 is growing on me. The more I use it the more I like it. I had a shot at a little spike horn the other evening in fading light under similar conditions the m8 3x might have left a little to be desired. I passed on the deer but the traits that I expressed disappointment with my new 3x may have been an over reaction on my part. I noticed that the 3.4x would be just the ticket for threading shots through the bushes in the country I hunt. cut me some slack I'm new here and in my 20's. i have a lot to learn yet. At least I didn't spend that $300 on a down payment for a scope that weighs two pounds and is Internet ready.

Give it time. I am in my 20's as well and am slowly moving over the fixed power scopes, and I am definitely a fan now. It is great not having a power ring for my ADD to fiddle around with.
© 24hourcampfire