Home
Posted By: NTG Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/09/12
I am hoping to get a "packable" spotting scope for $400 max, closer to $300 would be better (yes, clearly, I'm on a tighter budget than some; 5 kids at home still, etc). I've had the Nomad, the Ventana, and the Prostaff (65mm) on my list. IMO, most 80 plus mm scopes are going to be too heavy to pack around for miles on foot every day. I like the comfort of a good warranty too!

Also, I was talking to someone that hunts mulies a lot and he said a real good pair of binoculars would be a better investment for starts. I do have some Nikon travelites III 8x23 that were given to me and they actually do pretty good for what they are. I have looked through better binos and know there are better out there. He got me thinking a little...what say ye?

Any input on these scopes mentioned or other good options would be appreciated. I'd like to be able to be able to see mulies enought to see the rack at 1600yrds. Thanks for any additional input.
Take a look at the Theron Sakar. Both straight and angled well under $300.00.
Posted By: SteveWM Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/09/12
Theron Saker spotter

I ended up with a Nikon 60ED used spotter I bought off a fellow on Long Range Hunting. I also bought a Nikon 50ED and love it.
Originally Posted by timbo762
Take a look at the Theron Sakar. Both straight and angled well under $300.00.
That's a great option if, they were ever in stock!!!
Posted By: NTG Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/09/12
Thanks Steve, I'm over there at LRH too. I'm also trying to keep my eye out for good used deals. The Nikon ED's are out of my price range when new.

Thanks Timbo for the tip on the Saker. Where are they in stock? I really only see them at Predator online?
If all I had was $300-$400, I'd buy a quality 10X40 binocular like the Zen Rays or the Kruger and make sure I rested it on something as steady as a tripod.
With the sun low and behind you, you should be able to get some idea how good a muley's rack is up to 1600 yds. But, more important, a good binocular will really help you find them in the first place. Muleys tend not to stand out much. So they are much harder to see than say elk or pronghorn. E
Thanks for your input Eremicus. The more I've thought about it that's the way I'm leaning. Plus, right now the Legend Ultra HDs (10x42)are about $235 and have a $50 rebate. I've looked through these months ago and remember them being pretty good.
Posted By: Royce Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/09/12
NTG
Look for a used Leupold 20X spotting scope- You can find them well within your budget on here if you are patient. They are sharp, light and hold their value well.

Fred
OK, Royce. Are you talking a 10-20x40mm Compact, or is there an older model that's a fixed 20 power?
Good 10's work alot better if they are on a tripod or something similar. Particularly if the subject(s) are some distance out. E
Thanks, E. This is why I'm leaning to a really good pair of binos. I don't need to see the hair on the south end of a north-bound gnat at 1000 yards, but the question remains will they tell me if there's antlers at 1600 yards? And, yes, I know if there's mirage issues it probably won't matter what optics I have...although a 100mm spotting scope may help some, but I don't want to pack one!

I really do appreciate your input.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/09/12
Eremicus advise is really good. A good set of binoculars for $300-400 is going to outdo a spotter of the same price, unless you run into a deal.
Compact binos will not offer the detail you demand, and might not show the muley's in the first place, plus they will tire your eyes faster due to low exit pupil and FOV.
I have 10x43mm Pentax DCF SP's I got on ebay for around $300 (supposedly wrongly packaged or something, but were NIB with everything)
I am saving money for a spotter to try and get in the 500-600 range, there are some nice HD deals out there every now and then.
Posted By: Hawker Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/09/12
My buddy has one of these.
http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/spottingscopes/ridgefield-straight.html

It is not Vortex Razor. But does its job well
Thanks Hawker...it is a little heavier than some in its class.

I'm still thinking more of getting a real good pair of binos, but undecided still.
Any opinions on using monoculars: http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/spotting-scopes/legend-ultra-hd-monocular. A number of companies make them.
Posted By: Mcseal2 Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/09/12
I'd definitely upgrade binos first, probably to a Zen Ray or used Vortex or Minox. You can always get the spotter later. For 90% of my hunting I use Zeiss 10x42's and a Nikon ED50 but I'd take the binos if I could only have one. Better binos will gather more light and help you in the critical low light minutes when big bucks move.
A good spotting scope is nice, but you really NEED a good pair of binoculars.

I agree. Upgrade the bins first then watch for sales on quality spotters. When getting a spotter, don't be afraid of a fixed - I bought a quality 25x fixed spotter and have never looked back.
Posted By: lucznik Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/10/12
Overstock.com has some Bushnell Elite EDs (not the less-than-stellar "E2"s) for $449 right now. Modt places sell yhese for around $520. Throw in Bushnelll's current $75 rebate and the final cost comes to a mere $375. That's well within the Max budget you indicated and you get a really great binocular rather than a just-OK one.

Posted By: jt402 Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/10/12
A good spotter compliments a binocular. IMHO a spotter will never replace a binocular. As has been suggested, go for the binocular first. When funds allow add a spotter. jack
My experience is that you will use binoculars more often than a spotting scope. Get a good pair of binos and look for a good rugged spotter [used if possible] as a compliment. Remember that the spotter will be used to identify points or the size of game at long distance so buy a spotter that is capable of counting points at let's say 400+ yds in fair weather. I just ordersd a spotter for my backpack after years of using binos.I ordered a kowa 66mm prominar that should be good enough for me.
You really need both- a good pair of binos and a good spotter. You find game with the binos, you judge game with a spotter.

For your budget, the older style 25x Leupold fixed power straight spotters are great and you can find them in your price range in the classifieds quite often. I just picked one up for $275 and it is in like new condition.

Bob
Posted By: NTG Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/11/12
lucznik, Great find. It's about $25 less if you don't mind waiting for it to get back in stock at B&H Photo. I'd have to wait for Chiristmas money and saving to buy in this price range. I'm still leaning toward the 10x42 Legend Ultra HDs...and then I'll be closer to getting a spotting scope as well. Has anyone have comparisons of these to Elite, or some of the Nikons?
Also, I'm curious has an opinion on using a "doubler" (example: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/bushnell.pl?page=bushnellelitedoubler) especially if you have used on in the field?
The problem with doublers is that they cut down on alot of light, and they tend to loose the image sharpness you must have with additional magnification. That's why very few use them. E
Posted By: Royce Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/11/12
NTG
The older model- I have no experience with the newer model.

Fred
Thanks Royce.
Any one have experience with these: Vanguard Endeavor.

I played with the 10x42 version in the store last night and looked every bit as good as Monarchs and Leupolds. Store didn't have Busnell's to compare. These Vanguards will run $280 after rebate or $270 for the 10x40s. Seems like a pretty good deal for ED glass.
The Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's are ED glass and me and my son compared them to just about everything in their price range, including the Nikons and the Leupolds. They beat the Leupolds hands down and were slightly better in contrast and color rendition than the Nikons, IMHO. My son bought a pair last year and then my nephew bought a pair soon after using his.
Great glass for the money, in fact- great glass for twice the money in my opinion.

Bob
Posted By: NTG Re: Best Spotting Scope for... - 11/12/12
Thanks for that helpful report, Bob.
They are still on my list.
Get some switch power binoculars. You will have them with you and use them.

I got a couple of them and the Leupold 7X to 12X, in particular, are outstanding.

Do a search here on switch power and dual power binoculars.

Dual Power
© 24hourcampfire