Home
Posted By: SoonerWing Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/03/13
Santa brought my son (9 years old) his first rifle for Christmas. It is a youth Marlin in .243 and I need to get his scope mounted to it. I purchase him a Sightron SI 3x9 40mm scope for it. By no means top of the line but not a $30 scope either. What cheap rings will give me the best value for my money?
Weaver
Check on eBay. Lots of inexpensive rings, both new and used.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/03/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Weaver

+1
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Weaver

+1

+2
Weavers are currently holding down both the 2.5x Leupolds on my 12 ga. 870 slug gun and 12 ga. Mossberg turkey gun. Also the Redfield on my sporterized #4 Mk I Lee-Enfield and the Burris on my 22-250 and even the BSA on my 10/22. No problems; no complaints. I have other more expensive rings on other things but for the money it's tough to beat those old time proven Weavers.
These. Light, strong, inexpensive:

http://swfa.com/Weaver-Quad-Lock-Detachable-Aluminum-1-Rings-C1348.aspx
Posted By: TDN Re: Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/04/13
I have had the Weaver Quadlocks on a few slug guns and a 223 that rode in the truck a lot and never had a problem.
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
Weaver

+1

+2

+3
Millet has some nice verticle split rings.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/04/13
+4 on the Weaver.
Especially so since the X rifles come with a Weaver base.
Burris Zees on ebay.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/04/13
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Burris Zees on ebay.

You're freaking nuts Swampy!!!

Just kidding!!! grin

I just wanted to interject a bit of acrimony to give the new member the true flavor of the Optics Forum at 24HCF.
I keep a couple of spare sets of Weaver Quad Locks on the shelf just in case. They only run $11-$12 at WalMart.
Posted By: bcraig Re: Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/04/13
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
Weaver

+1

+2

+3

+4 Weaver originals

Craig
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Burris Zees on ebay.

You're freaking nuts Swampy!!!

Just kidding!!! grin

I just wanted to interject a bit of acrimony to give the new member the true flavor of the Optics Forum at 24HCF.

$24.99 with free shipping.
Hate to agree with swampy but I would pick the Burris Zee rings also over the Weaver!
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/04/13

I've got two sets of the old Weaver rings I use regularly but have also had good results with the Leupold Rifleman series of rings. Lots of them over the yrs.
I normally use the zee rings that run $30-$40 delivered but as has already been mentioned the quad locks have been good for me too and for $15 they are a steal
Originally Posted by Ringman
Millet has some nice verticle split rings.

Millets are garbage, they are made out of very soft aluminum that will strip their threads with very little torque applied to the bolts.

Another vote for weavers, they are a pain to get the reticle properly aligned as it keeps rotating as you tighten the screws, but as far as a rock solid simple inexspensive mount they can't be beat.

That said if you can find talley lw's on sale they really aren't much more expensive than weaver bases and rigs.
Kill it with Millet.....laughing
Posted By: TA243 Re: Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/10/13
I've always had good luck with Burris Zee rings.
Posted By: KDK Re: Solid cheap(er) scope rings - 01/10/13
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
[quote=Ringman]That said if you can find talley lw's on sale they really aren't much more expensive than weaver bases and rigs.

That's what I was thinking. I really don't like Weavers....
So I ordered him a set of the Weaver Quad locks and I can not get them mounted without there being some wiggle in the base. I put some signature Zee's on mine and they mounted like a charm but the Quad locks have some wiggle in them at the base. All of the screws tighten down good and tight but no matter how tight i get them there is still some wiggle. Any thoughts?
Havent checked to make sure the base it tight yet. Hopefully that is it. I will check that tonight.
© 24hourcampfire