Home
I'm doing the shooting, he is tagging along, we have been hiking and working out and doing "test drives"

We feel he is ready, and Im prepared to take it slow

These are free range aoudad hunts in west texas, drive truck close to little mountains (rugged but not super big) and walk and glass all day...go back to truck and drive back to camp for the night...

I need a pair of binos that can take some heat, bumps, and 6yr old care, that are "cheap", light, but that he won't miss the actual hunt experience...at the end of the day he will be only looking.

Hate tascos and bushnells (unless really recommended) looking at leupold yosemites or leupold compacts, but lost on the other options....please no high end swaros, leicas...

He will have to carry binos and a small backpack with a radio and one backup water. He will not be out of my sight.

This won't be the only recommendation these get. Leupold Yosemite 6x30. These were designed for kids. They need a binocular they can use first. 6x is plenty for a 6 yr old.
How about a Nitrex Tr-One Compact 8x25? Natchez has them on closeout for $70...awful hard to beat for the price.
I've seen the Leupold Yosemites recommended so many times for kids that I'm ordering my grandaughter a pair tonight.
Originally Posted by SteveC99
This won't be the only recommendation these get. Leupold Yosemite 6x30. These were designed for kids. They need a binocular they can use first. 6x is plenty for a 6 yr old.

+1 ^^^^^ Good advice ^^^^^
The Yosemite as good glass, not very big and does not cost a ton. Sounds like a good match.
You migt talk to Cameraland about Pentax 6X30 Papilio. Doug has em', my grandchildren really like em'. They are small for small hand and pretty good optics...maybe a little more than $100
Correction...I just looked at my papilios, they are 6.5X21, $120 at Cameraland..work fine from sunup till sundown. Congrats on taking your son, I killed my first deer in the Davis mts in 1949...I've killed lots of stuff since...I still remember what I had for breakfast that morning..
Yosemite's 6X30 and yes take a kid hunting.
Thnks guys found some well priced yosemites, good idea going to 6x instead of 8x
© 24hourcampfire