Home
If this was posted prior, I missed it.

The 3-9x40 Conquest is no longer listed on the Zeiss website. They offer a 50mm, but no 40mm. There is also a new scope I have not heard of that I suspect is taking its place, the Zeiss Terra 3-9x42.

What a bummer if so, I suspect that is why they have been on sale on and off for the last year.
Why are so many of these listed in the used section for sale? Are they not what people expect or whats the deal. Quality not there? ED K
There were a lot of sales on them within the last year, I suspect people bought low and are looking to sell high. I have a couple and think they are the best scope in their price range right now.
Yeah, I'm interested in how the Terra 3-9x42 stacks up to the Conquest 3-9X40.
I wonder if you can get a turret on the Terra? You cannot get one installed on the new Duralytes according to Zeiss.
Camerland no long sells the Conquest in 3-9x40 either. I'm glad I bought 2 from Cabelas last year for $279.99 each. Great glass IMO.
Here it is folks. The 3-9x40 is no more. frown

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss.

"Yes the Conquest 3-9x40 has been discontinued as of January 1.

Hoping to be of service to you we kindly ask you to contact us again should you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Zeiss"
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have a couple and think they are the best scope in their price range right now.

Yep! I just horse traded into one with the Z-Plex reticle, top notch!

It is much more clear than any leupold I have used. About the same as any night-force I've looked through.
Here it is folks. The 3-9x40 is no more. frown

Dear Andrew,

"Yes the Conquest 3-9x40 has been discontinued as of January 1.

Hoping to be of service to you we kindly ask you to contact us again should you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Zeiss"

yep, thats been old news for months now, the conquest is gone, and Terra replaces. Similar pricing. Not sure on the quality until I see one.

Turret wise, RE comments, I've used not turret ones for years as turrets, they have a zero mark you can adjust, and then count clicks from there. You simply then do as we always did in competition, as soon as you are done with that shot or yard line you count back to zero to confirm...
I hope someone on the 'fire buys a Terra soon, would like to see the reviews. I will say this though, i will not buy another big game scope that does not have a turret as an option though.
Hate to see the Conquest go away. Definitely one of the better optics for the money. I also took advantage of Cabela's recent and I think ongoing sale of these.
I wonder if you can get a turret on the Terra? You cannot get one installed on the new Duralytes according to Zeiss.
That sucks on the Duralytes. They had a couple of models I was interested in.
The 3x9x40 Conquest is an outstanding scope, especially for the price,,even here in Canada. I have two, mounted on a pair of Brno 21/22 series rifles, in highend synthetics, re-chambered from 7x57 to .280Rem.

I find these about the "best" scopes for getting a fast, total, bright "picture" and only the Conquest 4x, also, sadly, now gone, is a bit better in this respect. I have three of these 4xs on my Brno ZGs in 9,3x62 and wish I could buy several more for my various "medium bores".

I also have a Conquest 4.5x14 on my P-64 "Westerner" in .264WM, a rifle I put together about 15 years ago and then bought this for a few years ago. It is a "drill" and more accurate than I can now shoot, but, I don't like the scope as well and do not find it as comfortable to use in the field as I do the 3x9.

All in all, except for the lightest "mountain rifle" and the serious, working "DGR" applications, I consider the Conquest 3x9x40 to be the "best" hunting scope for most uses that I have owned, used or seen in my 55 years of shooting. I am very impressed that Zeiss can/has offered a scope this good at the price they ask for it.

I also have and have had scores of Leupies, several 2.5x8. 1.75x6, 3.5x10 and Swaro Z3-3x9 scopes. I consider the Zeiss better in almost every respect than any of these and I LIKE all of these very much...it is or has been just one of those really sound items of gear that one finds every so often and my only issue with it is the substantial weight.
That Zeiss #20 reticle is also a winner.
I hope someone on the 'fire buys a Terra soon, would like to see the reviews. I will say this though, i will not buy another big game scope that does not have a turret as an option though.

I'd suspect someone will come up with that option for those that can't use a zero mark, a cheat sheet and count up and down in a hunting situation.

BTW from what I've heard, Terra won't be around till April, and since we are now in April it should be getting close. The dealer I check with has not had em in yet.
Optics Planet has the Terra with Z20 reticle for $399, the Rapid Z is $449 and they are showing a hunter turret.
It looks like they are using the 42mm to replace both 40mm & 44mm Conquests, I'm wondering if they are assembled in U.S. or Germany?
Anyone know why the change? The conquest is one hell of a scope. Hope they are not going to screw it up.
I agree. For a hunting scope the Conquest is the best way to go imo if you can swing it. Now once you get into tactical scopes that's a whole different ball game. I absolutely love the Conquests and I can't believe you can get a scope that great for the price.

I knew something was up when they started running them for $299-$350 everywhere. I don't pretend to know the real reason, but I think the giant leap in Leupold quality over the last year or so had to play a part. I have a 5-6 year old Conquest bought when they were $500-$550. I bought one of the new production VX-2's in a 3-9X40 with dots for $330 about a year ago. As good as the Conquest is, the new VX-2 equals it and beats a 5 year old VX-3 I own. Given a choice between a $300 VX-2 and a $500 Conquest that is 1/4 lb heavier I'd buy the VX-2 every time. (new production only) Just a SWAG, but they may have had to offer something in the same price range and quality of the new VX-2's to stay competetive.
Has anyone asked Doug why Zeiss discontinued the Conquest line?

This seems rather odd but I'm certain they have a reason. I've had two, the mentioned 3-9x40 and a 3.5-10, both with the Z-plex 600 reticles and they have both been among the brightest and clearest scopes I've ever had.
Originally Posted by JMR40
I knew something was up when they started running them for $299-$350 everywhere. I don't pretend to know the real reason, but I think the giant leap in Leupold quality over the last year or so had to play a part. I have a 5-6 year old Conquest bought when they were $500-$550. I bought one of the new production VX-2's in a 3-9X40 with dots for $330 about a year ago. As good as the Conquest is, the new VX-2 equals it and beats a 5 year old VX-3 I own. Given a choice between a $300 VX-2 and a $500 Conquest that is 1/4 lb heavier I'd buy the VX-2 every time. (new production only) Just a SWAG, but they may have had to offer something in the same price range and quality of the new VX-2's to stay competetive.

Agreed on the new production VX-2's. They are mighty impressive regardless of price and a superb value when the price is factored in.
Dam, that sucks! I love my Conquests. Kutenay pretty much nailed it, that is how I feel about them.
Say it ain't so, Joe!
Wonder if the Terra ditches the uber-cheap plastic turret caps?
The "hunter" turret is just a fancy name for finger adjustable. They do not have numbers, and they are not large enough. The Target turret is where it is at.
The "hunter" turret is just a fancy name for finger adjustable. They do not have numbers, and they are not large enough. The Target turret is where it is at.

I have very few target turrets and have done very well on out to about 800 yards on game with standard turrets and knowledge.

For probably target use or lots of rounds varmint use or tactical matches yes, targets would be a better way.

But as long as clicks are firm enough, there is a zero mark, and the adj are repeatable, they work fine as is. Lots of dead things and witnesses can attest to this. Even with shots folks were laughing at me trying over the years....
And thank the Lord the knobs are bigger and easier than those on my service rifle AR15 that I've shot so much I"ve lost count of how many I have and how many barrels I"ve shot out.

I'd take bigger knobs on teh windage of those any day but its not in the rules...
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Wonder if the Terra ditches the uber-cheap plastic turret caps?

Couldn't say for sure, but I do know if a scope had what I was looking for, them caps wouldn't be the deciding factor for me buying/not buying it.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
if a scope had what I was looking for, them caps wouldn't be the deciding factor for me buying/not buying it.

Agreed.
The new terras will shure have big shoes to fill!!!!
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I'm wondering if they are assembled in U.S. or Germany?

Think CHINA....
Originally Posted by Wbypoor
I'm wondering if they are assembled in U.S. or Germany?

Think CHINA....

Do you know this for certain?
The way I understand it, the Terra binos = China, the Terra riflescopes = japan.
Yup. The Terra scopes are made in Japan.

A GERMAN scope made in japan?? The world is coming to an end!!!!
I would have no problem buying a Jap Zeiss. Would have issues buying a Chicom Zeiss.
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
I have a couple and think they are the best scope in their price range right now.

It is much more clear than any leupold I have used. About the same as any night-force I've looked through.

They are not better than the new VX-2. I have both.
You have a new Jap made Terra Mark ?
No, I have the Conquest and a VX-2.
Originally Posted by Swampman700

The conquest is better to my eyes.
Originally Posted by hclark

A GERMAN scope made in japan?? The world is coming to an end!!!!

I would be OK with a Japanese Zeiss, Japan has been making good sport optics for a long time.

I have two U.S. assembled Conquests and the power selection ring on the 2011 model feels a little bound or stiff, not smooth like my 2005 purchase.

I'm not needing a new scope anytime soon, but if I did I would want to compare the new Conquest HD and the Terra side by side.
Those that liked the Conquests would be wise to look at the Meopta MeoPro lineup. I promise you won't be disappointed. I have 2 of them in 3-9x42, and love them.

I agree 100%, the newer Leupolds are pretty darn good. I compared my Conquest 3-9x40 to a new VX-2 at the range and there wasn't much difference in clarity or brightness. Now the older model Leupold VX-II, Vari-X II and even the Vari-X III, didnt have the best glass IMO. The biggest issue I have always had the with the conquest is having to mount em higher than most other scopes.
Originally Posted by Alex38
Those that liked the Conquests would be wise to look at the Meopta MeoPro lineup. I promise you won't be disappointed. I have 2 of them in 3-9x42, and love them.

One of the things I really like about the Conquest is their Duplex reticle is perfect to me. I have not looked through a Meopro, but their web literature seems to have the wider portions of the reticle closing in on the center cross hair, not leaving much of a gap, is this an accurate impression?
My hunting partner and I have gone to the Conquest after many years of using Vari X IIIs. Comparing the two at dusk and later reveals how much light the Conquest brings to your eye. Hearing that the new VX2 may be equal has me interested now that the Conquest is no more. Just bought a Conquest here about a week ago, nice and bright and just missed buying another one that sold pretty fast. I will look at the new Leupie.
People are lying to themselves if they think a VX2 is even close to a Zeiss.

The Meopro and Conquest are about identical in clarity etc, but once again...you cannot get an elevation turret on the Meopro. frown

How many of the NEW VX-2's have you tried out DC?

Comparing them side by side there isn't a dimes worth of difference between them.
At least to my eye and those of AC and Swampy among others.

The NEW VX-2's are darn impressive in the glass department and much lighter, better looking, and sleeker than the 3-9 Conquest.

Hell, my three NEW VX-2's are at least as good as my brand new 2.5-8x36 VX-3.

I'll not be buying more Conquests but you can bet I'll be buying more VX-2's. But ONLY the new production ones.
And you have a wide selection of turret options to choose from with the VX-2. Not just one like the Conquest.

Not to mention the reasonably priced reticle choices available. Again unlike the BIG premium Zeiss charged for anything other than the 20 reticle.

I see that Meopta just introduced a 3.5-10x44 in the line up also and it has slightly over 4 inches of eye relief. Maybe Meopta had some of the old Zeiss Conquest hardware for that one. Now this model has my attention. With or without illuminated reticles, one of which is a Z-Plex reticle.

One of the things I really like about the Conquest is their Duplex reticle is perfect to me. I have not looked through a Meopro, but their web literature seems to have the wider portions of the reticle closing in on the center cross hair, not leaving much of a gap, is this an accurate impression?

Mine both have the BDC reticle, so I'm unable to give you a good assessment of the standard Duplex reticle. Sorry!!
Doug told me Terra scopes were Chicom. Perhaps he was mistaken. RIP Zeiss.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
How many of the NEW VX-2's have you tried out DC?

Comparing them side by side there isn't a dimes worth of difference between them.
At least to my eye and those of AC and Swampy among others.

The NEW VX-2's are darn impressive in the glass department and much lighter, better looking, and sleeker than the 3-9 Conquest.

Hell, my three NEW VX-2's are at least as good as my brand new 2.5-8x36 VX-3.

I'll not be buying more Conquests but you can bet I'll be buying more VX-2's. But ONLY the new production ones.

I dunno, I have a new VX-2 (33mm), new VX-3 (36mm), and two NOS 32mm conquests, and while I really like the Leupy's (the prices can't be beat if you know where to buy) the Conquests have simply better glass and reticle to my tired eyes.
I went to the 32mms to save two ounces over the 40mm Conquest.
They are getting scarce now, especially around $350 or so. I lucked out and found two here basically new in box.

I also dig the eye relief on the Conquest, really forgiving for a staunch caliber.
This is an uneducated opinion, but I suspect Leupold's fascination with being lightweight is a trade off in the inability to track correctly dept.
I'll grant the etched reticle in the Conquests is better and more defined than the Leupold reticle.
The glass, to me at least, is very comparable.
I will also grant that the ER of the 33mm VX-2 is short but the ER of the 40mm VX-2 is just about the equal of the 3-9 Conquest.

broomd, I'm not overly impressed with the vaunted 2.5-8x36 VX-3. Don't get me wrong they are great scopes but in the glass department they don't blow me away. no better to my eyes than the new VX-2 glass.
The zeiss is definetly better to my eyes than the new vx2. I will say this though, I've been a zeiss guy for a long time. If the terra's are china made, I'll never own one. It will be leupold for me from now on.
Originally Posted by jimone
Doug told me Terra scopes were Chicom. Perhaps he was mistaken. RIP Zeiss.

Dear xxxxx,

The new Terra line of rifle scopes will be assembled in Japan. These scopes are not contracted out to the lowest bidder. We gave them our specifications and tolerances, and they are building them to our specs, using our parts.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXX

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you.

Best Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX
Customer Care Representative
Carl Zeiss Sports Optics, LLC
711 Moorefield Park Drive, Building E
North Chesterfield, VA 23236 USA
800-441-3005 ext XXXX
804-425-XXXX direct
804-530-8333 fax
[email protected]
www.zeiss.com/sports
Thats good. I'll take Japan any day over China
Good news on not being built in China.
I would consider a Leupy again, but I much prefer the Rapid-Z reticles over Leupold's offerings.
No more Zeiss scopes for me. I'll stick with Leupold.
What turret did you use with the Conquest scopes?

Thanks,

ddj
I second what Alex38 recommends. The Meopros work well for me. I have two, both are 4x12x50s and have the #4 reticle. The fine lines on these may be a tad too fine. Don't know how that compares to the thickness on a duplex version. I also have a couple of Zeiss conquests. These two product lines are very similar. I'd have to give the edge to Zeiss conquest.
Sounds like Zeiss should change their name to Reiss.

Just curious Mark as to why "no more Zeiss" and Leupold is good to go. You are aware that Leupold sources all it's glass (and some other components) from Asia right ? Not to single out Leupold, but as Barsness has stated, "it's a global market".
Sounds like Zeiss should change their name to Reiss.

That right there is some funny [bleep] Drew!! laugh
Don't encourage me...haha.

Doubt you ever owned one
I ain`t got no dog in this hunt butt..........
I own 1 Zeiss scope now A Conquest 2.5-8x32 20#Ret.
It is on my 270 WBY if I had a VX3 2.5-8x36 WITH A HEAVY DUPLEX ONLY.
I would go with a Leupold over the Zeiss.
But that has to do more with my Vision and night blindness than anything.Also if any of my Leupold go belly up it would not be hard
to send them in to be fixed.Never had a Leupold go bad yet.....
AMRA
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Doubt you ever owned one

I own one right now. I bought it because it was assembled in the US.
© 24hourcampfire