Home
Posted By: jarhead88 budget scope - 12/05/13
I'm looking to get scope for a .308, it will be mostly for target shooting and teaching my kids about shooting. I am looking for a decent scope to put on it. shooting from 50 to 200 yards only. looking to spent under 225-250.. also looking at 12x max. I have seen Nikon, Bushnell and Redfield all under that and not sure which is best.

Any advice on which company is best and is 12x the right choice.
thanks for the help
Posted By: ingwe Re: budget scope - 12/05/13
Nope get a 3x9 Leupold Burris or Redfield. All have good eye relief, lifetime warranties and will do the trick in your price range.
Posted By: colodog Re: budget scope - 12/05/13
I've been very pleased with my Weaver/Nitrex scopes and have swapped out several Burris 3-9 for these. Link
Better glass, lifetime warranty,closeout prices.
Currently on 25-06 300wsm 338win 35whelan .50cal B-powder.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: budget scope - 12/05/13
Originally Posted by ingwe
Nope get a 3x9 Leupold Burris or Redfield. All have good eye relief, lifetime warranties and will do the trick in your price range.

AMEN!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: budget scope - 12/05/13
Originally Posted by ingwe
Nope get used a 3x9 Leupold Burris or Redfield. All have good eye relief, lifetime warranties and will do the trick in your price range.

Fixed it for you. smile
Posted By: NTG Re: budget scope - 12/05/13
Nothing wrong with a leupy. The redfields are pretty good to, more so if you get the revolution line IMO. I'm not too impressed with the Nikons in that price range. I just recently got this Legend Ultra HD and have been really impressed. I love the mil-dots the more I learn/use them. You can also get it without that reticle and it will cost a little less. I've compared this to some low end leupy, and redfields, and I feel it's slightly better. It's easily better than the buckmaster line IMO, and some of the low end Vortex many tout.

Best thing to do is go and look at them, and ideally go to a shop that will let you take them outside, and even better at dusk. The Legends are good stuff.

Also, you can get that Legend I got for under $250 via SWFA's price guarantee program.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: budget scope - 12/05/13
You could find a nice Leupold Vari X II in 3-9X40 any day of the week and twice on Sunday for under $200.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: budget scope - 12/05/13
Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 with Mil Dot ret would be hard to beat for a 12x at your budget.

4.9 out of 5 for 81 reviews on Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/149054/nikon-prostaff-rifle-scope-4-12x-40mm-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Posted By: NTG Re: budget scope - 12/05/13
The Legend Ultra series has had some pretty good reviews. If you don't buy into the gun rag reviews on them (Outdoor Life and Am. Rifleman did one) this one seemed more objective and helpful to me: review.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: budget scope - 12/06/13
Personally, in that price range I'd go with a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10X40. The model was recently updated and Natchez is selling the old ones on close out for $229.95. You won't find a better scope for under $300 and it carries a lifetime warranty(not that you will probably need it, those scopes are tough as nails).

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40
Posted By: 338rcm Re: budget scope - 12/06/13
The Nitrex TR 1 is the best scope available under $250.
© 24hourcampfire