Home
For those of you who have used both, I would like to garner your opinions of Leupold's 3.5-10 versus 4.5-14, both with 40mm lens and non-AO.

Pros and cons of each for a 22-250 or 243 all around rifle. Especially interested in ease of use and overall usefulness in the 40mm non-AO version.
3.5-10.

I haven't been too impressed by the 4.5-14. The 3.5-10 has a much more forgiving eye box, it's just a better scope IMO.
What's wrong with an AO? It's there when you need it, but you don't have to use it.

You might also consider the VX2 4-12 but you didn't want an AO.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
3.5-10.

I haven't been too impressed by the 4.5-14. The 3.5-10 has a much more forgiving eye box, it's just a better scope IMO.

This ^
for an "all-around" rifle, 3.5-10x hands down.
Have had both.

Leupy 3.5-10 all the way.

The 100 yd. FOV on the 4.5-14 at 4.5 is 18.7'
The 100 yd. FOV on the 3.5-10 is 3.5 is 29.8'

That's 35%+ more FOV for the 3.5-10.

IMO an all around rifle needs a scope with good FOV at low power.
To me the 4.5-14 is a long range only type scope. I own several 3.5-10's but not any 4.5-14's.

IF you hunt strictly open country I can see the 4.5-14 being OK. In the woods I think you'd be handicapping yourself.

I'm sure someone will probably chime in that they use the 4.5-14 in the woods all the time and never have any issues with FOV.
3.5-10x40 is the easy pick for me.
3.5-10x40 here also. What most of my rifles wear.
I have never been impressed with the 4.5-14. I have the VX3 3.5-10 on my 22-250. Leupold got it right with this scope, as it is very hard to beat. If all my scopes were replaced with it I can't say I would be inconvenienced at all.
I bought a vxIII 3.5 x 10 ,40mm AO the year they came out, did not need the AO back then, I have a VXIII 4.5 x 14 40 or 44 with the Varmint reticule and it is my favorite go to , wish I had 12 of them scope, my 60 yr old eyes really like the AO, I also have a 6.5 x 20 x 40 with the varmint reticule, it has a 30 mm tube and side focus AO, it is the cats meow, my next scope will be the 4.5 x 14 varmint reticule with side focus AO... to answer the OP, go with the 4.5 x 14 AO, as you age and or if you ever need to get rid of it there is a much larger market for AO. everyones eyes age.... my 2 c ... very best
magshooter1,

Maybe Mathman will come to this thread and tell you why the field of view in the in the 3 1/2X is not 35% greater than the 4 1/2X.
I have both scopes. In hunting use they will both work just fine. I prefer higher magnification for zeroing my rifles and load development. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
3.5-10.

This.......had one 4.5-14 and a slew of 3.5-10's................
get the 3.5-10x40 non AO
I have had both.

I now own four 3.5-10X40s and no 4.5-14s.
I have both as well. I like the 3.5-10 on my 30/06

I had the same one on my .223, however I chose the 4.5-14 as the greater magnification helped with the more typical tiny targets at longer ranges.

This scope also has CDS reticle adjustment. It has proven to be right on the money out to 500 yards.

My 3.5-10 for big game is better overall, but for varmint hunting I think I do prefer the 4.5-14
If your hunting might include close-up shots, go with the 3.5-10.
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Have had both.

Leupy 3.5-10 all the way.

The 100 yd. FOV on the 4.5-14 at 4.5 is 18.7'
The 100 yd. FOV on the 3.5-10 is 3.5 is 29.8'

That's 35%+ more FOV for the 3.5-10.

IMO an all around rifle needs a scope with good FOV at low power.
To me the 4.5-14 is a long range only type scope. I own several 3.5-10's but not any 4.5-14's.

IF you hunt strictly open country I can see the 4.5-14 being OK. In the woods I think you'd be handicapping yourself.

I'm sure someone will probably chime in that they use the 4.5-14 in the woods all the time and never have any issues with FOV.

I've had both and I'm in complete agreement about the 3.5-10 being a better scope. I no longer own the 4.5-14.
3.5-10x40 every time for me.
that's funny, I go with 2-8x or 4.5-14x and don't own any 3-10x.

Huh
3.5-10X is the one I would choose for general use. The three 4.5-14X scopes with 40 MM objectives I have are the LR version with a 30 MM tube and side focus which are heavier but they're really nice for targets and varmints.
I feel the 4.5-14 is best served in the side focus LR with a 50mm objective. In that configuration it has no peers as a big game optic. grin

A non AO 40mm is best at a max of 10X.
Have owned both the 1 inch and the 30mm version of the 4.5-14. They are both gone and kinda soured me on Leupolds in general as they were the only ones I've ever owned.

I might give Leupold another shot in the future since they get a lot of love around here, but I'll try something other than that magnification range.
I feel the 4.5-14 is best served in the side focus LR with a 50mm objective. In that configuration it has no peers as a big game optic.

Can you make out if a buck is legal at 500-600 yards if the bumps are smaller than a small eye gaurd with one of those scopes?
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I feel the 4.5-14 is best served in the side focus LR with a 50mm objective. In that configuration it has no peers as a big game optic. grin

A non AO 40mm is best at a max of 10X.

I agree. I have four 4.5-14X's (VX-III and VX-3) with the 50 MM objective, side focus and 30 MM tube and they're hard to beat in low light.
I have had both scopes the 4.5-14 is gone, its like looking through a toilet paper tube, terrible fov, not easy to get behind. its leupold's worst scope.
Originally Posted by Ringman
I feel the 4.5-14 is best served in the side focus LR with a 50mm objective. In that configuration it has no peers as a big game optic.

Can you make out if a buck is legal at 500-600 yards if the bumps are smaller than a small eye gaurd with one of those scopes?

I could tell this buck was legal for my antlered deer tag at 500yds. shocked laugh wink

[Linked Image]

Does that count?? grin
I've tried to like the 1" tube 4.5-14x40 non ao. Can't do it. I do enjoy the 30mm tube of the same.
3.5-10x40 is perfect for so many things though.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I've got this very scope, my first 4.5-14,and my first 50mm. It is a very impressive package.
John, what stock is on your rifle in the pic? Nice buck too!
John,

That's a nice deer. I bet you didn't have any more fun getting it than I did getting the one in the photo below. You didn't answer the question. On the the left antler there were three points making this buck legal. Could you, from 500 yards make out the two points which make this legal?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by one horn
I've tried to like the 1" tube 4.5-14x40 non ao. Can't do it. I do enjoy the 30mm tube of the same.
3.5-10x40 is perfect for so many things though.

Sounds pretty reasonable. The limited depth of field for the 14X makes a side focus or adjustable objective pretty much mandatory for me.

The 3.5-10x40mm non AO covers a lot of ground for a lot of fellas. Just not enough magnification for me on the long shots.

Originally Posted by one horn
John, what stock is on your rifle in the pic? Nice buck too!

Thanks and that is my stock. I designed it about 5 years ago and it has worked out really well.

[Linked Image]

John,

That's a nice deer. I bet you didn't have any more fun getting it than I did getting the one in the photo below. You didn't answer the question. On the the left antler there were three points making this buck legal. Could you, from 500 yards make out the two points which make this legal?

[Linked Image]

Yes. grin
John,

[Linked Image]

Lots of guys own spotting scopes, and most dont fret wether a dink of around 70" gross is legal or not.
The question was could he see the points with his 4 1/2-14X scope. Had nothing to do with spotting scopes.

Your idea that most folks don't fret about 70" is not reflected in the deer killed every year. The vast majority are not trophy deer. Where I killed that deer everyone I talked to was hoping for a fork with eye guards. Only one guy I ran into had a spotting scope. Some didn't even have binoculars. I know one guy who told me scopes are made to find game; they substitute as an aiming device. He was serious.
JFC
I hunt with a 3-9 mostly, sometimes a 4.5-14. Where I hunt, we hunt in teams of two, and almost every team has a spotter and a LRF.
© 24hourcampfire