Home
Posted By: 338rcm Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/29/14
Has anyone used one of these as a hunting scope?
How easily do the turrets turn?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/29/14
VX1 glass
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/29/14
Originally Posted by ringworm
VX1 glass

Difference is 2nd Generation Argon/Krypton Waterproofing

While we still waterproof other optics with bone-dry nitrogen � technology pioneered by Leupold� � Select models feature our exclusive, proprietary Argon/Krypton gas blend. Its advantages are two fold: it nearly eliminates the effects of thermal shock, and the Argon/Krypton molecules are significantly larger than nitrogen...
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/29/14
My main concern is how easily the turrets will turn not glass quality
I might be wrong but I think Travis is using a couple of these, ask him
Pretty sure Travis is running the older Mark AR's with covered turrets. The Mod 1's look a lot like CDS.
Mod1 turrets turn pretty easily, and there is no designation for turret revolutions. I've avoided them for those two reasons. I much prefer the older Mark II and Mark AR series with the covered 1/2 MOA turrets, they are my favorite standard hunting scope.
Posted By: deflave Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/30/14
I had the older MK AR's but I now prefer the Mod 1. MOA turrets are soooo 2013.

Funny that the OP asks this question. My son and I got rained out of our prairie dog murders a little early today, so I was able to make the range.

I have read a lot about the Mod 1's and CDS turrets turning easily, but I have not found that is a real problem for the 'flaves. I freely admit that I probably baby my rifles more than most. Here's a photo of some 'Flave Precision rifles riding in the back seat (rare by the way) when I pulled up to the range.

[Linked Image]

Turrets were still zeroed after the 70 mile'ish drive to the range. Then I did a little recording of the Mod 1 in action. I'm on a video kick right now. Not sure why.

Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
Looks to easy....trick photography?
Posted By: toad Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Looks to easy....

not after a six pack. shocked
How do we know it was only a six pack.......... smile
Posted By: toad Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
good point.
Posted By: deflave Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
Six beers? It's a SUNDAY you morons. Not a MONDAY. Besides, it's Easter.

I filmed the MK AR walking back from what I think most would consider reasonable hunting ranges. But the "Look how good I miss" brigade showed up. Gotta keep the ears peeled...

David
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
Originally Posted by deflave

Funny that the OP asks this question. My son and I got rained out of our prairie dog murders a little early today, so I was able to make the range.

I have read a lot about the Mod 1's and CDS turrets turning easily, but I have not found that is a real problem for the 'flaves. I freely admit that I probably baby my rifles more than most. Here's a photo of some 'Flave Precision rifles riding in the back seat (rare by the way) when I pulled up to the range.

[Linked Image]

Turrets were still zeroed after the 70 mile'ish drive to the range. Then I did a little recording of the Mod 1 in action. I'm on a video kick right now. Not sure why.

Thanks Flave, thats the kind of info I was looking for
Nicely done...flave precision looks to be turning out some nice rigs!

[Linked Image]

You might be on to something...spray tans could keep the booth busy when Cerakoting is slow!
Nicely done...flave precision looks to be turning out some nice rigs!

Check out Lil' Red Riding Hood mowing schit down earlier today.
[Linked Image]

Travis
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Thanks Flave, thats the kind of info I was looking for

We're all lovin' it.

God bless,
Travis
Posted By: SLM Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14

[Linked Image]

You might be on to something...spray tans could keep the booth busy when Cerakoting is slow!

That was pretty funny.

'Flave, duplex or mil dot?
Red looks like he's having a good time...... smile
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
How many MOA or mils wide are those targets?
He's a riflebuilder not a math teacher.....
It's not a tough question, really it isn't.
Depends how far he's into the 2nd six pack.... grin
Originally Posted by SLM

'Flave, duplex or mil dot?

Mil dot.

I have two of these in mil/mil now. I see two more in the future...

Travis
Originally Posted by mathman
How many MOA or mils wide are those targets?

I dunno.

I don't worry about hitting them. I worry about hitting them where I want to hit them.

Travis
I was just thinking about how far away I could wail on one with my little 1.5-4x20 AR Mod 1.
Depends how far he's into the 2nd six pack.... grin

2nd?

SUN-day people. SUN-day!

Travis
Red looks like he's having a good time...... smile

He's a [bleep]' riot.

Travis
I was just thinking about how far away I could wail on one with my little 1.5-4x20 AR Mod 1.

No doubt you'll get to the five.

Travis

No doubt you'll get to the five.

Travis

I got some interesting looks at the range when I had it strapped aboard a 308 with a 27 1/4" long, #7 contour barrel. grin

I got some interesting looks at the range when I had it strapped aboard a 308 with a 27 1/4" long, #7 contour barrel. grin

I always get strange looks at the range. I can never tell if it's because of my awesome shooting, my good looks, or my not wearing pants.

Travis
It has to be the shooting.
Posted By: rta48 Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
I have 2 of the 3x9's and my exp. is similar to that of Travis. I have twisted on them and they have returned back to their original position.

Thinking of going up in magnification on my next one, at this stage I could use a little help (LOL)

Randy
Originally Posted by rta48
I have 2 of the 3x9's and my exp. is similar to that of Travis. I have twisted on them and they have returned back to their original position.

Thinking of going up in magnification on my next one, at this stage I could use a little help (LOL)

Randy

I'm stayin' 3-9X. I love those [bleep]' things!

Travis
I wish the 3-9 had an AO.
they are VX2 glass, and one of the best deals in that price range right now.
Quick question for ya 'flave.....

Upon first glance, how do you know your turret is at 'zero' when the dial is on '0'? You could be 5 MILs high or 5 MILs low.... there's no way to visually tell what revolution of the turret you're on? With the older ones, there was no scale either, however, with 1/2 MOA clicks there was 30MOA per revolution. There's no way you can get two full revolutions, and with most calibers you can get well over 1k with a single revolution.

I love the Mark AR series, I can see three of them on rifles from here. And, I've no aversion to MIL/MIL either, as I can see a couple SWFA SS's for here too. My main issue with the MOD series is this simple lack of detail in this area.

Just to keep pace.... here's a video of a chick I used to know running an older Mark AR 3-9 on a ghetto .243 at 600.

I don't know how I know. I just zero it out when I'm done twisting and throw it back in the truck. It stays on zero until I use it again.

Travis
What if you look down and it's on '2.5' which direction do you turn it to '0'?
I don't know because it's never happened. grin

I don't know if it's because I'm lucky, or because I never use a rifle case, or what but I have the M1's, CDS, and MK AR turrets, the Target Turrets, and the Bushnell Tactical turrets and I have never had a noticeable shift on a turret.

Sometimes in the front seat my elbow may knock one a click or two but I just move right back to zero.

Travis
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
righty tighty, lefty loosey, right?

I've got one of these in the 4-12x flavor that I need to wring out. It's sitting on a 700P. I really like the light weight of these scopes. with a leupold and Talley LW's, a heavy barrel remington is almost a portable system ...
Posted By: rta48 Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 03/31/14
pushed the order button this AM on a 6-18 AO Gonna mount it up on the little AI and hope I can see [bleep]!

If I can focus and it will pass the twist and turn test I will report back. If not, I will box it up and send on it's way.

Things start getting pretty pricy from here though!

Randy
Posted By: rta48 Re: Leupold AR Mod 1 3-9x40? - 04/21/14
I have had 3 outings now with the 6x18x40 fine duplex, it has responded just as I had hoped. IMO this is just about a perfect match for load work, small varmints and deer hunting. Now the fine duplex might get a little hard to see at dusk.

I have been very surprised by the optical quality and resolution. On each outing I have also had along a March 2.2x25x42 that is just about the perfect scope for ME an my needs. But the Mark 4 in decent light appears to be a lot of scope for the money. I twisted on the erector pretty hard and while not exactly perfect it is very workable.

I played with the AO some and it does its job and takes care of any parallax issue's. I now own 3 of these scopes, 2 of the 3x9 and this 6x18 and I think I will be keeping them around.
© 24hourcampfire