Home
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
What do you think about this scope? Considering one for a .257 Weatherby and suppressed .308.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
I put one on my .358 Norma Mag and plan to use it for Alaska Brown Bear hunting next spring. I also used it for Texas "night hogs" this January.

I'm not convinced that it would make a great long distance scope, but it certainly works well within a hundred yards and in low/no light conditions.

donsm70
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
Why wouldn't be a great long-distance scope? I am thinking "duplex" type reticle or mildot. Also, I would be afraid of eye-relief on that scope on a 358 Norma!
Posted By: slg888 Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
Mine sits on a custom .243win, excellent scope. Green dot is the way to go.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
I have the 3x9 with Amber Mil Dot on my 204 CZ , love it . I wish all my rifles wore this scope
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
I just ordered the green dot duplex one and am going to put it on a Nula 260 that is on order. Scope is very light. I think is going to be a cool combo.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
Please, how much did you pay and from who did you order?

Thanks,

Jordan
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
I have one on an Armalite .223 and like it very much......
Posted By: slg888 Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by bonefish
I just ordered the green dot duplex one and am going to put it on a Nula 260 that is on order. Scope is very light. I think is going to be a cool combo.
Good choice, I sold my trijicon, then after one season realized I made a mistake. Bought another and it's not leaving my .243

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/17/14
Does anyone buy the BAC reticle? Just curious

I always wanted the green BAC
Posted By: slg888 Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by cooperfan

It sucks.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/18/14
I have looked through the triangle dot ones. Ordered the green dot without viewing. It looks pretty small. I hope I can see it. Worst case, the glass seems great, the scope is very light, and I hear is very durable. Couple bucks more than vx3 of same weight. Lots of positive comments out on these scopes.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by cooperfan

It sucks.

Ok then

Posted By: cooperfan Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/27/14
bump back to top.

Looking for opinions on a green BAC reticle. Thinking about one for my K95, 308
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/27/14
I have the green dot duplex. Dot is pretty small. Triangle is larger. Duplex helps you know if rifle is canted. How do you do holdover with the triangle?
Posted By: OceanBlue Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/27/14
I just bought one a green dot duplex. I'm pleased with the quality of the optics, eye relief, weight, and the width of the duplex crosshairs. Although the dot is lit all the time, it's hardly noticeable on a bright day unless the background is in the shadows. But I would rather have it like it is than too bright at dusk. It would probably be a great hog hunting scope at night where legal.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/28/14
I am having trouble figuring out the tritium lit dot. In the dark, the area around the fiber optic adjustment glows like a Christmas tree, but the dot is not visible in the dark through the scope? If you look sideways inside the scope, there is a little washing of green light.
Posted By: BowDoc Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/29/14
I have the BAC reticle in the 1-4x24 and I think it is great for close range shooting that requires fast target acquisition. Could never really understand the benefits in long range shooting or higher magnification scopes. I feel like its best for use on a dangerous game rifle, hog hunting AR, or possibly a CQB styled tactical rifle. It is very bright and very fast, but my 100 yard bench accuracy seems to be limited to 1 1/2" groups even on rifles that are 1/2" capable. Love the glass though and I am interested in trying other magnifications and reticle choices. Hope this helps!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/29/14
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
What do you think about this scope? Considering one for a .257 Weatherby and suppressed .308.

Be sure and check the serial number with Trijicon before you accept it. Some sit on dealers shelves for a long time eating into the life of the tritium. Trijicon has a special dark room that they rate the usable lifetime of the tritium and will not replace it under warranty if they deem its within spec, they don't use the date you bought it but the date it was manufactured.

b
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/29/14
Mine is going back to Trijcon to get checked out.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/30/14
Originally Posted by BowDoc
I have the BAC reticle in the 1-4x24 and I think it is great for close range shooting that requires fast target acquisition. Could never really understand the benefits in long range shooting or higher magnification scopes. I feel like its best for use on a dangerous game rifle, hog hunting AR, or possibly a CQB styled tactical rifle. It is very bright and very fast, but my 100 yard bench accuracy seems to be limited to 1 1/2" groups even on rifles that are 1/2" capable. Love the glass though and I am interested in trying other magnifications and reticle choices. Hope this helps!

Can you typically shoot 1/2" groups with a 1-4 power scope and a duplex reticle? I couldn't do that.

Posted By: bludog Re: Trijicon 3-9x40 - 04/30/14
I have two 3-9s (amber mildot) and one 1-4 with the amber duplex. The reticle on the 1-4 is excellent for shooting deer, but fairly thick for shooting itty bitty groups at 100 yds. Recently took it off my X-bolt 7-08 and will be mounting it on a Savage 220 slug gun for the wife when we hunt her family farm in Illinois.
Trijicons are good, solid scopes. Good clarity, good light transmission, good but not great eyebox. Clarity and low light performance are very similar to Zeiss Conquest to my eye. Plus the illuminated dot puts it over the Zeiss IMO for low light shooting opportunities. Won't be parting with mine any time soon, Lord willing.
© 24hourcampfire