Home
Besides Nightforce???

I have a Nightforce 8-40 X 56 scope that has a ocular that is wobbly (loose) other than that it's spotless. I had it on a heavy 22 Swift Prairie Dog gun.

Anyway, I sent it Nightforce for repair, talked to them on Friday and it's out of warranty and they will not repair it. I was figuring a few Benjamin's and I would have the scope back repaired. They offered me $500.00 off a new scope so I'm going to have shipped it back.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob

What is the warranty on a NF scope?
There has to be more to the story...

"All current model Nightforce Optics (excluding MIL-SPEC optics which carry a 10 year warranty) come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty which covers mechanical defects in materials and workmanship in the optical and mechanical components and is fully transferable. Exclusions of this warranty include intentional or accidental damage, abuse, misuse, modifications, and improper mounting.

That being said, if you manage to break a Nightforce we want to hear about it. If you need a repair performed, please contact our Customer Service Department at 208-476-9814."
I found out from Nightforce (who has the scope at this time) that the first runs have only a 2 year warranty!!
How old is it?
Originally Posted by LIV2HUNT
I found out from Nightforce (who has the scope at this time) that the first runs have only a 2 year warranty!!

I'm sure Leupold, SWFA, and Bushnell are lovin' this. No Nightforce for me.
Not intended to slam anybody but would like to get it fixed!! So who else does repairs??
I am thinking No body would want to touch it. Hope you got your moneys worth out of it.

This first runs thing, does it apply to all of their scopes? Like if you buy one of the first runs of their 2.5-10 x 42 scope is this a short warranty scope?

No, it does not apply to any other of their lines. The NF that the OP has is one of the discontinued models. The "first run" NF's were not Nightforce as we know them. They also were not $1,500 scopes either. $500 is as much if not more than what I have seen the originals go for in good condition.

Stuff like this is how nonsense gets passed off as facts. NF has one of the best warranties in the business that you will never need to use.
A $500 credit sounds like a generous good faith offer.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I'm not a NF fan but if you are going to write off a scope company because you heard one bad thing on the internet about them then just do a search for any scope company and you'll only be left with iron sights!
Really, FormD ? It wasn't long ago we had a couple of guys post that they were told not to send their NF scopes in for minor repairs as there was a 6 month wait to get them back.
Oh, yeah. That's how to do warranty work. E
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
No, it does not apply to any other of their lines. The NF that the OP has is one of the discontinued models. The "first run" NF's were not Nightforce as we know them. They also were not $1,500 scopes either. $500 is as much if not more than what I have seen the originals go for in good condition.

Stuff like this is how nonsense gets passed off as facts. NF has one of the best warranties in the business that you will never need to use.

Formid is correct in the fact that this scope is discontinued but, wrong in the sense that these were $500.00 scopes! I paid $1033.00 new for the scope in 1997. That really doesn't matter because all I want is to know who will fix it!! I agree $500.00 is a fair gesture but would like the ocular tightened up a bit is all. Hell I'll us it like it is before I get rid of it.
I had one of the 1-4's which sucked optically, but they only took a couple of weeks to replace the ocular when I complained.

You hhave to be in error.

Night Force do not break.

Warranty is forever.

$500 when new, likely would be $1500 today.

There are some inferior scope companies that just send you a new model if they can't fix yours.

Sounds like a gun company I have done business with in the past. They change models every 12-15 years, and then don't support your "lifetime investment." Makes 98 Mausers and old Model 70s look like good deals. They rarely ever break.

Good luck,
Jack
E,

Would very much like to see where a couple of people were told not to send in NF's for repair. Heck I'd like to see a couple people that actually had legitimately broken NXS's.....

]

Formid is correct in the fact that this scope is discontinued but, wrong in the sense that these were $500.00 scopes! I paid $1033.00 new for the scope in 1997. That really doesn't matter because all I want is to know who will fix it!! I agree $500.00 is a fair gesture but would like the ocular tightened up a bit is all. Hell I'll us it like it is before I get rid of it.

Sorry, my response wasn't directed at you. I wish that I could help with getting your scope worked on but I do not know of anyone that does.

As fare as price of the scope, I meant that they sell for about $500 give or take now. While it sucks and we all wish that manufactures would keep parts around forever, the scope is nearly 20 years old and NF did not warranty the old scopes for a lifetime like they do the NXS scopes.
I have never had any issue with any of the 14 NF scopes I have owned. All but two I still own and only sold them because they were mismatched (MOA turrets & mil-dot reticle). I had a couple more of those redone to match turret/reticle by NF and it took a lot less time than they said it would. About six weeks from the time they left me until they were home. Eventually all manufacturers have the same issue with warranty. They just don't have parts to fix the older stuff with.
Those originals, as stated above, did not have a lifetime warranty so the fact that NF is willing to at do anything at all is, IMHO, a valid goodwill gesture.
OP, why don't you ask NF if there is anyone they would recommend to repair the scope? I have done that with a few firearms companies and they will usually always know someone who has old stock parts laying around.
As for me, I know that coatings, glass and mechanical parts have improved vastly in the last 17 years. That would make me want to take a look thru the NF catalog for a replacement.
You might try this outfit. http://www.ironsightinc.com
I don't know much about them outside of seeing their website even though that is pretty close to here. Just a guess, but a Nightforce of that vintage is going to be highly similar to many high quality Japanese made scopes of that era.
Good luck.
Take the $500 credit & get a new Nightforce NXS!!!
This isn't a Nightforce bashing session!!!

I've had a 2.5-10X32 for quite a while and just recently bought a 2.5-10X42 NXS so I have no beef with Nightforce as both perform very well. I realize that things like myself wear a bit with age and that's acceptable. All I wanted to know is if there is a possibility to get this scope fixed!! To the doubters, this old scope with the moving ocular still shoots POA and the illuminated mill dot still functions flawlessly.

I'm tempted to take this apart myself as I've had many scopes apart and see if I can tighten it up myself.
Well I did a quick search and found this place... L&K Scope Repair. Don't know much about them personally, but they seem to work on a lot of different types of scopes. Hope it helps.
[quote=LIV2HUNT]This isn't a Nightforce bashing session!!![/quote

Isn't it always this way?
Anytime you put anything about a company in any forum it always turns into a peeing contest about good vs. evil.

I have a scope back at Zeiss right now. I wish they would offer me a refund or money off a new scope...so I could sell it and get some money back. Sticking my money back into more Nightforce.
Originally Posted by shoots4fun
[quote=LIV2HUNT]This isn't a Nightforce bashing session!!![/quote

Isn't it always this way?
Anytime you put anything about a company in any forum it always turns into a peeing contest about good vs. evil.

ain't it the truth! and I am guilty myself! You could have a gold plated personal invitation to Heaven signed by St. Peter himself and you posted that here on the fire and someone (blogging from hell) would comment "yea I had one of those, and it didn't work" smile

Nothing touches Leupold vortex or SWFA CS in my experience.
Originally Posted by Fotis

Nothing touches Leupold vortex or SWFA CS in my experience.

No doubt - thats what happens when you have so many issues with those scopes-they get used to fixin schit!!
Nothing like a great warranty when you are standing around at the range, pulling dick because your scope took another dive.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Nothing like a great warranty when you are standing around at the range, pulling dick because your scope took another dive.

As was the case with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-14x50, and a SwaroA (Z3) I had.
I am beginning to wonder how many issues Night Force has. The "beast" report from Boxer with another loose ocular gets me to wondering what type of failure rate they have.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am beginning to wonder how many issues Night Force has. The "beast" report from Boxer with another loose ocular gets me to wondering what type of failure rate they have.

Link?
Originally Posted by JGRaider

As was the case with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-14x50, and a SwaroA (Z3) I had.

Been there with two Zeiss...

YUP!
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Link?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...14787/all/Reasons_to_pick_a_223_over_a_2

on page 8 I think.

As I posted in that thread, he didn't have a failure. He's referring to the fact the the power adjustment ring is the entire ocular. That has been a request of certain military organizations.

As for the failure rate of Nightforce scopes (a failure being a mechanical problem, zero retention, tracking, etc) NF actually keeps up with this and it is 0.35% failure rate for the NXS series. There are places in the military that tracks this and NF scopes have the lowest failure rate (less than 1%) over the last 13 years of war than any other issued optic.

In the upper level military sniping community the reputation of NF optics with regards to durability and tracking is unparalleled. They fell out of favor in some circles because of lack of power and features for a while, however that's over.

Myself and a lot of dudes I have worked with and know chose to use the NF F1's instead of the issued S&B's.

I'm dang sure not a fan boy of any manufacturer. However the number one requirement of a scope is to maintain zero no matter what and number two is to adjust correctly and consistently every time. Having had multiple issued SWS optic failures and seeing a BUNCH more happen to others, those two items are just about the only things I really care about. Every mechanical thing has the potential to fail, including a NF NXS, however with every other scope from $6,000 Hensoldt's and S&B's, to every issued variable powered Leupold, if it's on my gun I'm waiting for it to fail. Because it will. Except NF. When there is a Nightforce NXS mounted on my gun I don't worry about it.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Link?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...14787/all/Reasons_to_pick_a_223_over_a_2

on page 8 I think.

Thanks!

As I posted in that thread, he didn't have a failure. He's referring to the fact the the power adjustment ring is the entire ocular. That has been a request of certain military organizations.

As for the failure rate of Nightforce scopes (a failure being a mechanical problem, zero retention, tracking, etc) NF actually keeps up with this and it is 0.35% failure rate for the NXS series. There are places in the military that tracks this and NF scopes have the lowest failure rate (less than 1%) over the last 13 years of war than any other issued optic.

In the upper level military sniping community the reputation of NF optics with regards to durability and tracking is unparalleled. They fell out of favor in some circles because of lack of power and features for a while, however that's over.

Myself and a lot of dudes I have worked with and know chose to use the NF F1's instead of the issued S&B's.

I'm dang sure not a fan boy of any manufacturer. However the number one requirement of a scope is to maintain zero no matter what and number two is to adjust correctly and consistently every time. Having had multiple issued SWS optic failures and seeing a BUNCH more happen to others, those two items are just about the only things I really care about. Every mechanical thing has the potential to fail, including a NF NXS, however with every other scope from $6,000 Hensoldt's and S&B's, to every issued variable powered Leupold, if it's on my gun I'm waiting for it to fail. Because it will. Except NF. When there is a Nightforce NXS mounted on my gun I don't worry about it.

F-,

One of the most intelligent and informative posts in a long time. Thanks for taking time to share.

I lent a NXS to a soldier about to deploy when his Mk IV was issued to him broken. While he was deployed, he was in a humvee that flipped over from an IED and he landed on his rifle. The force of being thrown against his rifle bent it. After his recovery time, he put the NF on his new rifle and it was still working fine and good to go. When he made it back stateside, he came back and bought it from me he was so impressed.

That pretty well sold me on the NF durability and reliability.

There is just no excuse to put chit glass in any optical instrument, especially an expensive optical instrument.

Rotflmao!

That's one issue with Nightforce I hate. If you have a flip up scope cap, you can't really use it. If you want to adjust the power setting, you have to rotate the entire eyepiece with the open scope cap on it. It usually hits your bolt, interferes with the bolts operation or hits the stock. Stupid [bleep] design

Now even more information in this thread that mirrors the experiences of a few of my shooting buddies in regards to worthless customer service from Nightforce

Strange how the Leupolds On my rifles keep racking up wins in major and regional matches, dead animals and shooting tiny groups. I'm also certain they will be backed up with the best warranty and guarantee possible, forever.

Amazing that Nightforce won't repair their own product even if you have to Pay them!

Got the Nightforce scope back and it's repaired!!!

Entire Ocular is tight with zero wobble.

No bill etc.

Kudos to Nightforce.

Rob
Got the Nightforce scope back and it's repaired!!!

Entire Ocular is tight with zero wobble.

No bill etc.

Kudos to Nightforce.

Rob

Amen grin
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

That's one issue with Nightforce I hate. If you have a flip up scope cap, you can't really use it. If you want to adjust the power setting, you have to rotate the entire eyepiece with the open scope cap on it. It usually hits your bolt, interferes with the bolts operation or hits the stock.

False, I have one on mine and it works fine. You simply index it correctly when you put it on. The eyepiece doesn't rotate 360 degrees.
© 24hourcampfire