Home
Posted By: 1Longbow Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
Any real world experience with them. Best place for the best price ?
Thank you
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
Everyone on this site has a pair.

good binos. get the 6 power
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
I own a 6x. Light, decent glass, and inexpensive. They're just good basic binoculars.
Posted By: scratcherky Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
Good glass. Get the 6x.
Posted By: Ready Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
Works. Get the 6x.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
I have 2 pair of the 6x.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
Originally Posted by Ready
Works. Get the 6x.

Yep.
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
Have been using the 6x for a few years after reading about them on this site and I am quite satisfied. But I have any of the high end glass so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.
Posted By: Grady8541 Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
I have and use both 8x and 6x. They are good enough and inexpensive enough you should consider both IMHO. If I could only keep one, it would be the 8x.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
After reading all the hype on this site I bought the 8x and they were terrible....sent back to Leupold and returned as OK......couldn't give em away so finally threw em out,
Originally Posted by VernAK
After reading all the hype on this site I bought the 8x and they were terrible....sent back to Leupold and returned as OK......couldn't give em away so finally threw em out,

That's because you were supposed to get the 6xs.

I like the 6xs very much. They are my truck binos, and get used about everyday. Usually switch to Swaros in hunting season, but get along just fine with the Yosemites, and if they were all I had it wouldn't hurt my feelings overly much.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
I have a 6x and hunt with it quite a bit. The most "important" hunt was after grizzly in Alaska, and it worked fine.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

That's because you were supposed to get the 6xs.

+1. The 6x's are much better than the 8x's.
Posted By: CoalCracker Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
I don't own any high-end glass, but I really like the view through the 6x Yo's.

I bought a pair for my son a few years ago. I have a pair of Nikon 8x30 roof prism binos that were about a $300-$400 binocular in the early 1990s. They were Nikon's version of the Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 - the ones with the green rubber armor. I also have a late 1990s or early 2000s vintage Nikon Monarch 8x40.

When I compared the Yo's side-by-side with both pair of my Nikons, the view through the Leupold was much better. Everything looked clearer and brighter. Granted, the comparison was against low-to-mid priced 20 year old technology, but I always thought that my Nikons were decent quality bins. I was happy with the Yosemites considering what I paid for them.

You can buy the 6x here for $80, which looks to be about $20 cheaper than most other places:

B&H Photo
Been using the 6X pretty much daily for a couple years or so now. They are great little binos. I'm still amazed how good they are.
Posted By: Ready Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14

Sorry to hear this. You are not alone, though. Friend got the 8x as well... gathering dust.

With the 'mites, 6x is where its at.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
8x version sucks dog dick
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
6x rules, 8x drools, as my daughters might say...
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
I used to have the 6X30's and liked them, but my nephews daughters needed new hunting binoculars. One told her father that her current binoculars were "crappy." Now both of my 6x30's reside in another state while I make do with Swarovski 7X42.
Posted By: jmsdad Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
I'm still using a 6x bought six years ago.

Has anyone compared the current models to the original 6x? I think Leupold made a change to the housing design. Are the new ones as good as the originals? I want to pick up a pair for my 12yr old son so he will have his own.
Posted By: LostArra Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/17/14
I use my 6x everyday for backyard deer watching and treestand hunting.

The view is great. The only knock I have is the eye cup adjustment on mine was not real crisp and would move in when fully extended. But we're talking $79 binos here so I put a small rubber band under the eyecup and it's solid as a rock. I'll probably get an O-Ring sometime so it would look a little neater.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/18/14
6x is the wY to go with Yosemites. They perform way better than you would think based on their price.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/19/14
Curious if the newer model, or original is any better? My cousin in Alaska happily took mine as a gift after a 3 week visit/Halibut fishing trip, so when I replaced them, the black were gone, so I ordered a pair of the original model in camo pink, but different packaging. Figured my girlfriend can borrow the pink, I often use my Katmai's as they are a tad smaller.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/19/14
Very happy with my 6x30 Yosemite binos.
Posted By: coltchris Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/19/14
Ditto, hard to beat for the $!
Posted By: CLB Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/19/14
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Everyone on this site has a pair.

good binos. get the 6 power

2 pair 6x here! One of the best values in bins.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/19/14
Other than the eye-cups they are good 6x binos for the money and even a little more. They are my sons (now 7 years old) and I wanted decent optics, but not something expensive for him to use a couple years ago. Focus wheel is a little stiff for the little fellas though.

IIRC, we are on pair #3. The first two were sent back for issue above.

Jason
Posted By: azrugerdude Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/20/14
Here's my daughters with their pink Yotes 6x

[Linked Image]

Gotta coordinate with the tu-tu
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/21/14
Awesome pic.
Posted By: SLM Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by azrugerdude

[Linked Image]

Laffin'.

Love it.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/21/14
Have 5, 6x's in various rigs.... best buy for the money as far as I am concerned.
Posted By: SKane Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/21/14
Originally Posted by azrugerdude

[Linked Image]

grin grin

Great pict!
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/21/14
If the Yosemite binos do not work for you, there is something wrong with you.

That seems like a very acerbic concept, but I also think it is very accurate.

These are great bino at an a surprising low price.

Steve
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/22/14
I have the 8's and 6's.

They both do the job, and under a bill.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/25/14
My twin grandsons were each presented with 6X Yosemites for their birthday last week. Good woods hunting glass for the $$.
Posted By: deflave Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/25/14
Two pairs of 6x's.

They're UBER. And I mean UUUBER.

Travis
Posted By: aheider Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/25/14
I must be a weirdo. I bought a pair last year for my daughter and the focus ring had a horrible hard spot making it almost impossible to turn. Took them back to Cabelas and got a second set. It is a little better but not much. I want to like them but�...
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/25/14
They are great for the price. I have them too.
Posted By: deflave Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/26/14
Originally Posted by aheider
I must be a weirdo. I bought a pair last year for my daughter and the focus ring had a horrible hard spot making it almost impossible to turn. Took them back to Cabelas and got a second set. It is a little better but not much. I want to like them but�...

You're probably from Texas. Or Oregon.

Travis
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/26/14
Oregon sends all the good potatoes, apples, and Leupos out-of-state. We're stuck with the rejects.

Posted By: aheider Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/26/14
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by aheider

You're probably from Texas. Or Oregon.

Travis

I'm the only proof there is something good from Oregon! laugh
I purchased the Yosemite last year mainly because of the positive comments posted here on the Campfire. Compact and lightweight. Decent glass. Center adjustment function could be improved.

Incredible value for the price.
Posted By: crow_sniper Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/27/14
Have a pair of the 6x for my son and the glass clarity is excellent.
I've got 2 pairs on order. Here's hoping I'll like the KoolAid.

FC
Found a set in the bargain cave at cabelas. Asked if they would take less money for them, and the lady came back with an unblemished "used" pair for $55. Sold!
Posted By: LostArra Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/27/14
I'm probably wrong but I think the issue with the focusing knob rotation especially when starting to focus has to do with the type of seal that is used for waterproofing.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Leupold Yosemite Binos - 07/27/14
I've had mine for around four years. I keep them in a 17 ft aluminum bass boat and they've been bounced around some with no problems. It doesn't seem like it would make much difference but 6x is easier to use on an unstable platform than 8x.
© 24hourcampfire