Home
Posted By: specneeds Leica 10x42 BA's worth 800? - 07/27/14
I'm going to look at some older Leicas tomorrow that would be used for rough country elk hunting - is this a good set of binoculard for the use and are they worth $800?

Thanks for your help
I used this exact bino for almost 15 years. If tough is your primary criteria, then yes, they are extremely tough and well built. Glass will be good by today's standards, but not great. You will have no warranty in case that matters to you.
Originally Posted by specneeds
I'm going to look at some older Leicas tomorrow that would be used for rough country elk hunting - is this a good set of binoculard for the use and are they worth $800?

Thanks for your help

I bought mine new 14 years ago for 845. I would suggest you spend your money on a older pair of Swaro's , at least it will have a warranty.
No, they're at least four generations old.
They are great glass and will last a lifetime. Tough as a tank.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
No, they're at least four generations old.

+1
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Leica 10x42 BA's worth 800? - 07/28/14
At $800 I would be looking at Meoptas
Originally Posted by 338rcm
At $800 I would be looking at Meoptas

There is some good glass out there from the 800-1000 price range that comes with a great warranty as well. That said When I bought my BA's I was blown away by how clear they were 14 years ago, At that point wished I had not spent 2x their price buying inferior bins. Now there are any number of binoculars that match or exceed it for less money and better warranties.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Leica 10x42 BA's worth 800? - 07/29/14
I owned a pair of BNs, which were very much like the BAs. I thought they were an excellent pair of binoculars. However, I also thought they were heavy, and for that reason I sold them to buy a pair of Leica Ultravids, which I didn't think were very well made. so I traded for zeiss victory HDs, which I didn't think were very clear.

Bottom line. get a pair of used Swarovski ELs. You will be happy you did.
I read a sophisticated review on the Nikon 10 x 42 EDG. The review said they were overall the best in class. I bought them and I am impressed. Maybe Zeiss is a hair better. Zeiss would resell better, but I do like the Nikon alot.

My .02 worth.
I still have and won't sell my 8X42 BA's. I paid about $725 for them back in 2001.
Far more ruggedly built than the Swaro EL's and no history of fogging under alaskan conditions, unlike the El's. No way would I buy an El.
But, for me to buy a Leica BA, they have to be like new and warranted by somebody. You may well never need to get one fixed, very few have had to. But there is alwyas that chance.
For that reason, knowing how hard on gear I am, I'd buy new, probably a Cabela's Euro.
BTW, weight in a 10X is an asset if you plan to glass at extended ranges. E
E:

I do agree with you in one point, that without any warranty
I would not buy a used Leica, as you are alone if you have
any problems.

Otherwise, your way too often bash of Swarovski optics is
growing old, how many years have you been pushing this rubbish?

Did you know that makes any post you make seem suspect, and I
would certainly not take any of your advice seriously.
© 24hourcampfire