Home
OK, guys. What's your choice of reticle in a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 for low-light conditions (I know the arguments about objective size so am not concerned with that): Leupy's "German 4" or "Heavy Duplex"? Of course, I could save a hundred bucks and get a VX2 1-4 in standard duplex, which works fine on my VX3 2.5-8, so I might as well throw it into the mix as well.

But mostly I'm asking about reticle choice for low-light conditions. What's your preference?
I've got a VXR 1.25x4 #4 and the VX6 2-12 #4, both illuminated. I like the reticles and both have a decent amount of mass to see when it's very dark. I haven't really tested either illuminated yet as the plain old #4 is pretty good. Not quite as good as the real German #4's but still decent.

Leupolds Heavy Duplex is a great reticle as well, I've got that in a 1.5x5 and it's works excellent for the tight and fast shooting in the SE. It's claimed many deer on the move, picks up fast and seems well suited for hunting.
I've got 1 scope with the heavy duplex and 2 scopes with the post & duplex reticles. When I lose the reticles in dim light it's too late for me to shoot. I like the P&D a bit more than the HD. If I buy another fixed 4X I may try the #1 reticle.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I've got a VXR 1.25x4 #4 and the VX6 2-12 #4, both illuminated. I like the reticles and both have a decent amount of mass to see when it's very dark. I haven't really tested either illuminated yet as the plain old #4 is pretty good. Not quite as good as the real German #4's but still decent.

Leupolds Heavy Duplex is a great reticle as well, I've got that in a 1.5x5 and it's works excellent for the tight and fast shooting in the SE. It's claimed many deer on the move, picks up fast and seems well suited for hunting.

Thanks for the note. As you pointed out, for some reason Leupold's German 4 doesn't look quite like other German 4s I've seen.

I love illuminated reticles and use a VXR Firedot 4, 3-9, on a MRC ASR, but I don't want to put a 30mm tube on a Ruger No 1a. I want to stay with a 1 inch...at least until an illuminated reticle comes in a 1 inch.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I've got 1 scope with the heavy duplex and 2 scopes with the post & duplex reticles. When I lose the reticles in dim light it's too late for me to shoot. I like the P&D a bit more than the HD. If I buy another fixed 4X I may try the #1 reticle.

I was seriously looking at P&D. That will have to be something out of Leupy's custom shop. I might try either the G4 or HD for a bit, and if it doesn't work out it's off to Leupold for a P&D. What is it that you like better about the P&D?
I have had stellar luck with the VX2 in a 1-4 with basic duplex.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Is that what's on the Ingwe Express (your Fwt)?

That's a popular combo down here in our deer hunting area. Deer are usually moving quickly due to be pushed by hounds so you either have to learn to shoot them moving or let them pass. The 1.25x4, 1.5x5 and 1x4 Leupolds are the most popular around our place on slug guns. Plus they are fairly low profile and don't catch on every vine in the woods. I'd love to have the #4 in my 1.5x5 on my slug gun, but the Heavy Duplex works fine and hopefully upon retirement I won't have to hunt deer with a shotgun anymore!
I'd love to have the #4 in my 1.5x5 on my slug gun, but the Heavy Duplex works fine and hopefully upon retirement I won't have to hunt deer with a shotgun anymore!

Moving west or farther south?

I have some variation of the No 4 on two of my 7x57s, just not the standard Leupold No. 4. For some reason the P&D design catches my eye a bit better, but I'm not entirely sure at 0'Dark-Thirty as I haven't tried it.
Originally Posted by RevMike
I'd love to have the #4 in my 1.5x5 on my slug gun, but the Heavy Duplex works fine and hopefully upon retirement I won't have to hunt deer with a shotgun anymore!

Moving west or farther south?

I have some variation of the No 4 on two of my 7x57s, just not the standard Leupold No. 4. For some reason the P&D design catches my eye a bit better, but I'm not entirely sure at 0'Dark-Thirty as I haven't tried it.

West is the plan.

So far, from what I've seen is Meopta has the tightest #4 and Leupolds have the most space. I like the Leupolds but just wish they were a little tighter. I like the #4 reticle a bunch. But then again, I've done fine with regular Duplex or similar on my hunting rifles as well.

Is that what's on the Ingwe Express (your Fwt)?

Nope, that was a 1.5-5 but I have since put a larger scope on it for older eyes�.

However a VX2 1-4 served me well on a 7x57 mountain rifle years ago�

[Linked Image]

Then the scope moved to my .375 for a couple years�

[Linked Image]

Then it moved to Ingwewifes .30-06, where it still resides, 10 years later..

[Linked Image]

Its a real toss up whether or not the 1.5-5 is worth the extra $$$$
So far, from what I've seen is Meopta has the tightest #4 and Leupolds have the most space. I like the Leupolds but just wish they were a little tighter. I like the #4 reticle a bunch. But then again, I've done fine with regular Duplex or similar on my hunting rifles as well.

Have you taken a look at the P&D on Leupold's website? They'll change it out on an existing scope, but I'm not sure for how much. I have a note in to Leupold and will find out for sure.

Have you taken a look at the P&D on Leupold's website? They'll change it out on an existing scope, but I'm not sure for how much. I have a note in to Leupold and will find out for sure.

Nope, sure haven't seen that. I've got a 3.5x10 on its way to Leupold now for a # 4 retrofit. I'll take a look at the P and D though.
I just looked at the Post and Duplex. Seems to be a #4 with pointed bars? Same same to me. Looks like a nice reticle though. I'd run one.
Its a real toss up whether or not the 1.5-5 is worth the extra $$$$

Nice pictures, Ingwe, as always. You realize you married up, right?

Your question is a good one.
I just looked at the Post and Duplex. Seems to be a #4 with pointed bars? Same same to me. Looks like a nice reticle though. I'd run one.

Pretty much except the opening of the crosshairs (I'm sure there's a name for it) isn't as wide as between the G4.
I'm thinking of having a VX3 1.75-6 converted to post and duplex, and a 1-4 with that or #1, if they'll do it on a VX1?

I think the post/duplex is basically a #4 done 'right'.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I think the post/duplex is basically a #4 done 'right'.

I agree with that, at least in Leupold's case. I expect I'll eventually have a VX3 changed to that reticle. But until then, I'm just wondering which of the two - the current G4 or HD - will be better in low light conditions.
I like the HD better, if the other choice is G4, from Leupold, anyway. Other makes have tighter G4s, like Zeiss or Meopta. Minox's G4 is even wider, to me. For a hunting scope, especially of reasonable magnification (1-8x), having that smaller focal point in low light seems more practical, to me.
I like the HD better, if the other choice is G4, from Leupold, anyway. Other makes have tighter G4s, like Zeiss or Meopta. Minox's G4 is even wider, to me. For a hunting scope, especially of reasonable magnification (1-8x), having that smaller focal point in low light seems more practical, to me.

The HD has heavier posts too, which make them stand out more in low light conditions. At least that's the way I'm leaning.
Exactly. Kahles has a great #4, also.... But ordering off the shelf from leupold, that HD seems to be the thickest/quickest low light ch arrangement they offer.
Exactly. Kahles has a great #4, also.... But ordering off the shelf from leupold, that HD seems to be the thickest/quickest low light ch arrangement they offer.

Aren't Kahles all 30mm?
Think so, but I was just referring to their reticle, as an example of the #4s I'm drawn to. I have some 30mm stuff I like to look through, but not look AT, at least on my trimmer rigs.
For dim-light shooting I prefer the Heavy Duplex in Leupolds, for the reasons others already stated. However, I also find it works just great for longer distances as well.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For dim-light shooting I prefer the Heavy Duplex in Leupolds, for the reasons others already stated. However, I also find it works just great for longer distances as well.

Thanks John, I thought I remembered you saying that. Looks like that's what's going on my Boddington No 1a.

I'll let Ingwe guess the caliber.
Think so, but I was just referring to their reticle, as an example of the #4s I'm drawn to. I have some 30mm stuff I like to look through, but not look AT, at least on my trimmer rigs.

Ah, got it.

Yes, it looks a lot like Leupold's P&D. Only the Kahles I was looking at is illuminated. I wish they could do that in a 1 inch tube. I'll bet the technology eventually gets there.
I don't think it's available anymore, but premier reticles made a 4a that was essentially the heavy duplex on the side and bottom bars and conventional plex on the center and top. Back when they were working with Leupold I had them fit one to a 2.5x compact.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I don't think it's available anymore, but premier reticles made a 4a that was essentially the heavy duplex on the side and bottom bars and conventional plex on the center and top. Back when they were working with Leupold I had them fit one to a 2.5x compact.

That would be the ticket, wouldn't it.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This. All my Leupolds (unless illuminated), carry the HD X hairs and they all hang with the expensive Euro stuff (which BTW, the X hairs on Z6s are WAY too thin).
We seem to be moving towards a consensus here!! smile

Aren't Kahles all 30mm?

Not their older Helia CL scopes which were 1" and can still be found around $500-$700 and are great bargains IMHO. I have two with #4 reticle. One is a 2-7X36 and one is a 3-10X50.
This is my Leupold 1.5-5 with lit German #4 on my Kimber 7-08, I really like the combo as my walking about/sitting with kids gun.
only thing I may change is Talley LW rings. [Linked Image]
I'm getting to like the #4 on this Meopta 6X.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Heavy Duplex. It allows quick ranging as well. Tried the Premier Reticles 4a, the #1, and the Post & Duplex. E
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Heavy Duplex. It allows quick ranging as well. Tried the Premier Reticles 4a, the #1, and the Post & Duplex. E

Tried them, but what did you think?
Of all of them, the only one I would use other than the HD, would be the #1 but only on a close cover rifle.
When I say "tried them," I mean I hunted them for a while. For my hunting, the HD offers as much performance as I need plus the added benefit quick ranging. E
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Of all of them, the only one I would use other than the HD, would be the #1 but only on a close cover rifle.
When I say "tried them," I mean I hunted them for a while. For my hunting, the HD offers as much performance as I need plus the added benefit quick ranging. E

Got it. Thanks. I'll have an HD Leupold here Monday.
Seems I've Hunted With a Few Of Them All. And Most Of My Shooting Is At Dusk Or Dawn.Its Usally Dark When I Go In, And Dark When I Come Out.. For Me I've Never Found Anything That Will Beat a 4A. I Prefer a Swarovski AV 3-10-42.I.M.O Best Whitetail Scope Built.
Leupold's Nazi #1.

Travis
My preference is #4 over a heavy duplex.

I recently bought a Trijicon duplex with green dot. I havn't hunted with it yet but the glass is nice and the dot would be good for hog hunting at night.
Bigger, heavier and more expensive, the VX-6 1-6 #4 Fire Dot is pretty cool.

DF

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't mind putting that or the Trijicon on my MRC ASR or my M98 as they are big rifles and can absorb the 30mm tube, but I think it's a bit much for the No 1. I wish someone would come out with a 1 inch illuminated scope. Probably just a matter of time.

By the way, nice rifle, DF. I can't see on my phone what it is.
AHR CZ 9.3x62.

Yeah, size does matter...

For a light, compact rifle, 30 mm tubes are too big, bulky and heavy, IMO.

DF
© 24hourcampfire