Home
Posted By: RICKMELEAR Spotting scope - 08/22/14
Need some help with a spotting scope in the under $1000 range. I have a 8X30 SLC and a 8X32 Minox binocs and I'm looking for a quality spotter than I can use on a upcoming trip to Glacier and Yellowstone. I'm looking for something that's light but has clear optics for wildlife viewing for me and my wife. I have never owned a spotting scope so in really a bit at loss as to what i need. Any help I'd appreciated. I see some require a eyepiece as well.
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: Spotting scope - 08/22/14
Hi Rick,

I can recommend the Meopta S1 APO 75. It is the previous top Meopta SScope. Still in the market by some sellers. Like Eurooptic. Great scope!!!! I have mine with both eyepieces: 20-60x and the fantastic 30x Wide Angle. This scope has a 75 mm objective and is light, strong and with amazing optics. Period! Must be the APO one. It is with an Apochromatic objective that is VERY important in high powers because it almost eliminates the chromatic aberrations.

Good Luck!

PH
Posted By: Ringman Re: Spotting scope - 08/22/14
What's the eye relief?
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: Spotting scope - 08/22/14
Hello Ringman,

I don't know the number. I don't use eyeglasses. For me the eye relief es more than ample and comfortable. I suppouse would be OK even with glasses.

PH
Posted By: jwcox3 Re: Spotting scope - 08/28/14
I just got a "new to me" leupold GR HD and it is awesome. I have never owned one prior, but the eye relief is amazing and the picture is very clear. I looked around for 3 years before pulling the trigger and I am very happy with what I got.
Posted By: tomk Re: Spotting scope - 08/28/14
Carol and I did both this year as she has never been to YS. Beartooth highway (212) out of the NE exit on the way to Glacier is an absolute must.

Had my Nikon spotter along with a 24x fixed WA lens but never broke it out.

We got the mileage out of binos along, but YMMV. Would consider a 10 or 12x with an exit pupil of 5 or so, to pick up on the on the low light side of things and a quick connect tripod for long viewing.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Spotting scope - 08/28/14
there seems to be kinda a void in the $1000 spotter market. there is decent glass less than that and you seem to have to spend alot more if you want much better. I like the vortex viper hd, it can be had under 6 bills if you looks around. its a tad big and bulky for what it is though.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Spotting scope - 08/28/14

Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65 Spotter is about $1200; very pleased with mine.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Spotting scope - 08/30/14
Originally Posted by jwcox3
I just got a "new to me" leupold GR HD and it is awesome. I have never owned one prior, but the eye relief is amazing and the picture is very clear. I looked around for 3 years before pulling the trigger and I am very happy with what I got.

+1 for good I relief

Had a Gold Ring HD when they first came out with HD, if eye relief is a big issue for you it had the best eye relief of any scope I tried, much better than the Zeiss I replaced it with and close to my Swarovski I have now.
Posted By: killindeer Re: Spotting scope - 08/30/14
ive read good stuff about the zen ray spotter.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Spotting scope - 08/30/14
Which Field & Stream issue was THAT in?
Posted By: killindeer Re: Spotting scope - 08/30/14
opticstalk.com that issue
© 24hourcampfire