Home
Posted By: MtnBoomer Easy scopes to "get behind" - 10/22/14
Its coming down to this, if its not a fast instant full view then I'm not much interested. Definitely always thought the 6X Leupolds were easy.

Just returned from looking through several moderately priced offerings and the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 was right there - near perfect infact. Looking for lighter weight scope for set it & forget it MPBR use.

Any other stand outs?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Easy scopes to "get behind" - 10/22/14
Nope...big fan of the Revolution 2x7 myself....
Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 or Weaver Classic V9...they are both "just there" for me.
ELITE 3200 or 4200 in 3x9, some will say leupolds for me they aren't as fast as those 2 elites. oh one last thing on edit. most guys want a scope that is mounted as low as they can get it. let me suggest this might not be the best and fastest way to get behind a scope. I prefer my scopes mounted a bit higher than most guys because I pick up the scope better that way. may or may not work for you it might be worth a try to expiriment on what works for you.
Posted By: rovert Re: Easy scopes to "get behind" - 10/22/14
The fastest that I currently have mounted is a Viper PST. After that, I agree that my 4200's and 3200's are very quick along with my Conquests.

Though it is not currently mounted, I suspect my TV screen Redfield 3-9 would compare favorably. That scope was very quick to get behind.

My worst are my Minox ZA5's. I don't have as much problem with them as some seem to but it is quite noticeable when switching between other scopes. The HD versions are said to be much better.
rovert, A 1-4 PST? What reticle? I peered through a couple of those recently and also a lit Crossfire 1-4 which looked great for the coinage.

-----------------------------------------------------------
For a particular application I'm limited to 1" scopes and will have a MPBR right at 300. Considering the VX2 with Dots and/or CDS as well. As much as 4x and 6x fixed are liked, I do want lower power when in the brush, eg for 30 feet, not yards. Have not ruled out the 6x36, just leaning lower... This will be for a purdy walnut, matte blue finish, CRF rifle in a classic Western BG chambering. Am somewhat pissed at Leupold and wouldn't mind a Japan or Europe import, but an Oregon Made scope would be a good fit on this project.

Originally Posted by ingwe

Do you like, or have you tried, the Accurange?
Originally Posted by oregontripper

IIRC, he puts them on all his 270s...

How do they compare in this regard to the VX-eye and VX-eyeeye 2-7?
Im a big leupy fan but, I recently bought a burris fullfield 2 in 2x7
I was very impressed with it and it was 140 dollars.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

How do they compare in this regard to the VX-eye and VX-eyeeye 2-7?

Seem to be pretty much same-o same-o...and sells for the same price, as is made by the same people...sooool it boils down to what name you want on your scope wink
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

IIRC, he puts them on all his 270s...

Not a fan of the Accu-range....and you will smoke a soggy turd in hell for that .270 remark.

I fart in your general direction!
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
Im a big leupy fan but, I recently bought a burris fullfield 2 in 2x7
I was very impressed with it and it was 140 dollars.

Odd you mentioned that one. Im a Burris fan but I bought one of their 2x7s and got rid of it immediately as I thought the eye relief sucked so bad. That said though I have other 'issues' with Burris that I blame on my coke bottle glasses,and not the scopes themselves...
Posted By: JPro Re: Easy scopes to "get behind" - 10/22/14
Never had one single eye relief issue with a 2-7, 3-9, or 3.5-10 Leupold or the lower tier Revolution versions. I agree that they are very eye friendly. If I don't have much cash for a hunting scope, a used Revolution is what I look for, but I do like the Accu-Range.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Easy scopes to "get behind" - 10/22/14
The older conquest 3-9s were as good as Leupold's eyebox for me. Damn good scopes.
ingwe,

That said though I have other 'issues' with Burris that I blame on my coke bottle glasses,and not the scopes themselves...

You might check to see if you have cataracts. My right eye had a coke bottle bottom lens. Now it is 20/20 after the surgery.
Looks like the ol' standbys:

Redfield 2-7x33
Leupold VX1 and VX2 2-7x33
Leupold 4x33, 6x36, and 6x42
Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200
Zeiss Conquests 3-9x40
I'll add the harder to find Zeiss 1.8-5.5
and I have a few other 4x scopes that seem ok but are unproven

Anything else?

VX2 2-7x33

I'm in for all the above, plus:

Nikon Monarch 4x40
Zeiss Conquest 4x32
Originally Posted by Ringman
ingwe,

That said though I have other 'issues' with Burris that I blame on my coke bottle glasses,and not the scopes themselves...

You might check to see if you have cataracts. My right eye had a coke bottle bottom lens. Now it is 20/20 after the surgery.

You realize that they often correct vision problems unrelated to the cataract when they do the cataract surgery right? My father wore glasses for near sightedness since age 8. When he had has cataract surgery at age 72 they corrected his vision to 20/20 - doesn't mean the cataracts were causing the near sightedness.

David
Posted By: GuyM Re: Easy scopes to "get behind" - 10/23/14
In addition to the 6x Leupolds

I'd add the 2.5x compact/ultralight, whatever they're calling it now. Very quick.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: rovert Re: Easy scopes to "get behind" - 10/23/14
rovert, A 1-4 PST? What reticle? I peered through a couple of those recently and also a lit Crossfire 1-4 which looked great for the coinage.

For a particular application I'm limited to 1" scopes and will have a MPBR right at 300. Considering the VX2 with Dots and/or CDS as well. As much as 4x and 6x fixed are liked, I do want lower power when in the brush, eg for 30 feet, not yards. Have not ruled out the 6x36, just leaning lower... This will be for a purdy walnut, matte blue finish, CRF rifle in a classic Western BG chambering. Am somewhat pissed at Leupold and wouldn't mind a Japan or Europe import, but an Oregon Made scope would be a good fit on this project.

Yes, 1-4 PST with the TMCQ reticle. I've been very impressed by it.

I was scoping a similar rifle to what you describe. I was originally planning on an FX3. I then decided I wanted a variable. I put a Conquest on it for a while. I was thinking VX6 then decided it would look a little out of place. I ended up going with a Z3 which I'm very pleased with. I wouldn't say its eyebox is quite as forgiving as my Elites and Conquests but it is close. It's right there with my 6x42 Leupold.
Looks like the ol' standbys:

Redfield 2-7x33
Leupold VX1 and VX2 2-7x33
Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200
Zeiss Conquests 3-9x40
I'll add the harder to find Zeiss 1.8-5.5
and I have a few other 4x scopes that seem ok but are unproven

Anything else?

The M8 4x28 Leupold that sat on my M70 .338 was great for me. I'm sure part of the magic was that the rifle fit me so well.
Leupie 2.5, 4, and 6 are all easy users. I think the 4x is actually the easiest of all, and that the old long tube version was slightly better in that regard than the current short tube. I have no idea why that would be.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Leupie 2.5, 4, and 6 are all easy users. I think the 4x is actually the easiest of all, and that the old long tube version was slightly better in that regard than the current short tube. I have no idea why that would be.

Sweet little scopes. This one is so small it makes the rifle look like a full size 30-30, but's just a 16" .357.

[Linked Image]
+1 on the M8 4x28. It's been good on any hunting rifle I've had it on. I'd say most shooters wouldn't have any problem getting the eye relief they need, long or short action, using standard rings with that scope
Ended up buying a Euro scope, Kaps 6x42 German #1, sight unseen, for this project. Hope it works out.

Also wanted to note that the Leupold VX-R scopes are a cinch to get behind. Really deserve attention. Reticle is etched I believe, reminiscent of the Conquests plus the tiny spot of light if desired... I think they'd do well in the low light test.

Appreciate all the input.
The Revolution 2-7x33 surprised me in many ways. It fits your criteria perfectly. I have been teaching my G daughter to shoot and it is easy w/ this scope's flexibility. The best to get behind is my Accupoint 1-4 w/ green triangle reticle, it is almost like cheating which is a good thinggrin

mike r
Posted By: Ready Re: Easy scopes to "get behind" - 10/27/14
Please do report how that Kaps is working out for you. Should be good to go, from the ones I held...
Strike out on the Kaps 6x42 SC, it's a 26mm scope. Eyebox is as severely critical as anything I've tried.

What's the thoughts on the Leupold and Redfield 3-9s? Going on a long action.
for me it's my 6x36 leupy and 3-9x36 swaro Z3 w/4a.
This is much easier to get behind....

[Linked Image]
My easiest scope to get behind in an older Burris Fullfied 3x9, made in the USA. Big picture and foregiving to head position. I liked the old Fullfields a lot. Second easiest is a Weaver 2.5X on a Savage 99 mounted low. Almost like shootin irons. My worst scope is an Bausch and Lomb 3200 2x7, your head has to be absolutely perfect to get a full view.
Anyone have hands-on with the Nikon Monarch 3, 3-12x42?

Its coming down to this, if its not a fast instant full view then I'm not much interested. Definitely always thought the 6X Leupolds were easy.

Just returned from looking through several moderately priced offerings and the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 was right there - near perfect infact. Looking for lighter weight scope for set it & forget it MPBR use.

Any other stand outs?

For me( there's a few):

Leupolds: 3X, 4X, 6X, 2-7,2.5-8,3-9, 3.5-10. The little 2.5X fixed is like an iron sight with long eye relief,and very fast.

Zeiss Conquest 4X and 3-9 (very forgiving eye relief at all powers). S&B Summit is more of the same and better in all regards.

Most of these are light,have generous eye relief,small enough profiles and mount low to the bore with enough bolt handle clearance.

Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Easy scopes to "get behind" - 11/08/14
fx3 6x42 and vx6 2-12x42 have been the easiest to get behind for me
Surprised it took so long for someone to mention the Leupold 2.5-8x. Great scope that seems to not get mentioned much anymore.
I sighted in a friends 30-06 rifle last year that had a Leupold VX3 with a 2.5-8X scope. I was really impressed with the clarity of the optics and how foregiving it was to precise head position for a full view. Nice scope.
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
This is much easier to get behind....

[Linked Image]

That's a project I could "get behind"
Best stay behind, there's herps around the mouth on dat ho....

Having decided against the short-tubed 2-7s, I've ordered a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 LRD to try. $288 delivered. Appreciate all the input.
I've always found all the Leupolds easy to get behind. That and no black doughnut around the image is their main draw for me.

Having decided against the short-tubed 2-7s, I've ordered a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 LRD to try. $288 delivered. Appreciate all the input.

Good choice!

Casey
Seems a good fit and definitely easy to get behind. Thanks for all the help folks.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Higbean
Surprised it took so long for someone to mention the Leupold 2.5-8x. Great scope that seems to not get mentioned much anymore.

I have 4 of these on my rifles. I think they are a good value. I also have several VX 3, 3.5-10 that I really like. All told, the Leupies have always treated me well.
Good choice. I have 2 of them and will be hunting with one today.....
© 24hourcampfire