Home
Posted By: pacecars 6x scope: Leupold or SWFA? - 10/31/14
I have a Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional in.30-06 that I was going to rebore to 9.3x62mm but since I don't have another '06 I have decided to leave it as is to become my all-around rifle. The Leupold 6x42 is my all time favorite scope but I am tempted by all the glowing reports about the SWFA 6x. Is it equal to or better than the Leupold for a hunting scope?
Both are proven commodities.

For hunting, I like the Leupy. It's much lighter weight, and IMO, better glass. Also the ability to choose your reticle/turrets......

Posted By: 406_SBC Re: 6x scope: Leupold or SWFA? - 10/31/14
If you're going to use turrets, then the SWFA is worth a consideration. If you're not spinning turrets, and I'm thinking you're not with that rifle, then I'd go Leupold without question.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: 6x scope: Leupold or SWFA? - 10/31/14
never thought I'd see the day that Boxer switched out(most) of his beloved Leupold 6x's for the SS fixed power scopes.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 6x scope: Leupold or SWFA? - 10/31/14
I bought a Meopta Meopro 6x open box from Doug, the #4 in it, thin center thick posts, good light near dusk and dawn work for me, most of my shots are at under 100 yards, many under 40 in GA.
My hands on experience with the SWFA is restricted to the fixed 10x scope. Personally, I'm not a fan of "busy" reticles (dots, hashes, etc.) on my hunting rigs. I much prefer a duplex, german #4, or Leupolds post & duplex.

So, between the choices, I'd go with the FX3 6x42 with or without an M1 turret. YMMV
For hunting, I'd go Leupold.
Posted By: AMRA Re: 6x scope: Leupold or SWFA? - 11/01/14
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I bought a Meopta Meopro 6x open box from Doug, the #4 in it, thin center thick posts, good light near dusk and dawn work for me, most of my shots are at under 100 yards, many under 40 in GA.

Just got one of these myself.
I will see how it compares to my Leupold FX-3 6X42 HD
Posted By: Boxer Re: 6x scope: Leupold or SWFA? - 11/01/14
Originally Posted by RDFinn
never thought I'd see the day that Boxer switched out(most) of his beloved Leupold 6x's for the SS fixed power scopes.

I've got it on good authority,that I've got more Leupie 6x42's than anyone you know,seen or heard of.

Prolly have a few SWFA 6x42's too.

Hint.

I decided to give the Meopta a try since it already comes with a #4 reticle. If for some reason I don't like it I will put the Leupold on it.
Leupold
© 24hourcampfire