Home
Posted By: ldholton New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
How much differnce is there in the AV3 to the new Z3 ? compareing 3-9x36 models ? I see sometimes the Habicht model is that the same or a different than the AV3 model ?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by ldholton
How much differnce is there in the AV3 to the new Z3 ? compareing 3-9x36 models ?

I am told by people who should know, there is no difference.

IMHO they both suck mechanically. I would not own another.
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
I have a Z3 I've hunted hard on a mountain rifle. No problems. Secured with Talleys.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
So I hear from others....mine crapped at the worst possible time. I don't grant redemption for scopes that fail on hunts.

I don't trust those erectors but everyone's experiences can differ. They ain't built for stout.If they were,the higher priced Swaro's will be built the same way....they aren't.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
Originally Posted by ldholton
How much differnce is there in the AV3 to the new Z3 ? compareing 3-9x36 models ? I see sometimes the Habicht model is that the same or a different than the AV3 model ?

If you are looking at getting a good 3-9 with just a standard crosshair, I would get whichever came cheaper. They are great scopes, I have gone to all newer Swarovskis so I could get BRX reticles...
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
I had a couple bad experiences with AV's, but was told the problem was solved by the time the Z3's came out by different assembly methods, despite the erector-spring system being basically the same.

It's only a sample of one, but I've had a Z3 3-9x36 for several years now. It's been on at least half a dozen rifles, including a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 7mm Weatherby Magnum, and had functioned perfectly on each rifle.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
Bob,

Can you describe what happened? Was it a scope design problem, or an individual scope problem?
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
i had a friend who recently got a new z3 3-9x36 and it went tits up practically out of the box on a 308...this was a few months back...needless to say swaro fixed it and he mounted it and its been superb since
Posted By: Ringman Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
I have a z5 that received some wonderful customer service the first year I had it. I want a scope I install and never use customer service.
Posted By: ldholton Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
Ok let's say I stick to the z3 idea , is one worth almost 2x the $$$ of a leipold VX-3 2.5-8x36 , yes standard reticail is what I'm looking for
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
If you want standard reticle - save the dough, go VX3.

I like the BRH a lot, so I like the Z3 option.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: New to swarovski got ?? - 11/23/14
I could be wrong, but it's my understanding the AV's have leaf springs in the erector assembly. The Z3's have multiple radial coil springs instead. Again, I could be wrong.

I have several AV's and a couple of Z3's. A couple of the AV's have suffered the dreaded POA/POI shift. Swarovski repaired them as usual with their MOST EXCELLENT customer service.

When I purchased my first Swarovski I actually wanted the fixed power. But, it was more expensive than the variables. Given their track record with customer service I took my chances on the variable. They haven't been trouble free but, once repaired, they work fine.

© 24hourcampfire