Home
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Vortex viper - 11/29/14
I was shooting a 223 today and dialed the turret up 1 moa. After doing Thai it moved up 5"s. The groups was all decent groups so I don't think it was the gun. After dialing it back to the original zero it was still shooting high. Has anyone else had trouble with the 6.5-20x44 vipers?
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Vortex viper - 11/29/14
Yes. They suck.

Someone might've said once or twice something similar. Send it back to them, get it fixed, sell it, and then get a scope actually built correctly.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Vortex viper - 11/29/14
Yes. Mine didn't track. With a 200yd zero, I was 1.25" off from 200-600yds.

I truly think that most who run them don't know the difference anyway.....
Posted By: 603Country Re: Vortex viper - 11/30/14
Based on a lot of happy chatter on another forum, I bought a Viper 4-16x50 PST FFP. I like it Ok, but the glass isn't that great. I was hoping for better, but to be realistic about it, I shouldn't have expected to get everything I hoped for for that low a price. It's Ok, so I'll keep it and use it.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Vortex viper - 11/30/14
Glass ain't that great, but if it doesn't track, moot point.....
Posted By: Ringman Re: Vortex viper - 11/30/14
Today I went to the range to test some muzzle brakes. (I posted the results in the general forum.) While I was there a fellow complained to me about his Vortex 6-24X scope. He said he couldn't get it to shoot worth a darn. I looked at his groups which were more like patterns. Then he showed me his groups with his other rifle: He couldn't remember how many shots but it was about 1" at a hundred. The group looked like ten or twelve shots.

I suggested he take off the scope and check the mounts, then the rings, then try a different scope if things don't improve.

One nice thing, though. His target was in the shadow of the hill to the left. I dialed my Bushnell 6500 as well as I could on 20X because I saw that was his setting. I could sorta make out "Official" on the bottom 100 yard target. I asked if I could look through his and adjust it for me. It was barely better, but better. Then I got out the Swarovski z5 and did the same thing. It really works in low light. It was a larger step up from the Vortex than the Vortex was over the 6500. The new 6.5SLR will be using this scope.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Vortex viper - 11/30/14
I had a 2-7 Viper I hated. I have a 1.75-5 Diamondback I'm fond of.

Dan
Posted By: TopCat Re: Vortex viper - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I was shooting a 223 today and dialed the turret up 1 moa. After doing Thai it moved up 5"s. The groups was all decent groups so I don't think it was the gun. After dialing it back to the original zero it was still shooting high. Hasn't everyone had trouble with the 6.5-20x44 vipers?

I fixed your post...
© 24hourcampfire