Home
Posted By: tommyd53 Vortex Diamondback Scope - 12/20/14
I'm thinking of mounting a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 Power X 40 MM on a Tikka T3 6.5 X 55 Swede. Where I hunt, the 4 power would be probably all I would ever use. But, knowing I'll leave the gun to my son, he has talked about Western Hunts in the future. Two questions: (1) Is the Vortex a reputable scope, and (2) what reticle would you recommend. their BDC, or, their standard V-Plex. Any and all suggestions/opinions appreciated. Thanks

Tom
Posted By: Raspy Re: Vortex Diamondback Scope - 12/21/14
Originally Posted by tommyd53
I'm thinking of mounting a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 Power X 40 MM on a Tikka T3 6.5 X 55 Swede. Where I hunt, the 4 power would be probably all I would ever use. But, knowing I'll leave the gun to my son, he has talked about Western Hunts in the future. Two questions: (1) Is the Vortex a reputable scope, and (2) what reticle would you recommend. their BDC, or, their standard V-Plex. Any and all suggestions/opinions appreciated. Thanks

Tom

I have 4 of the V-Plex....going on about 4 years now....great scopes for me and never had an issue. Also, just sighted in a new Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44mm AO....it is nice and clear....I am very surprised at the nice quality and low price.
Posted By: specneeds Re: Vortex Diamondback Scope - 12/21/14
My experience with Vortex is limited to a single Viper on a 22-250 but I would go with whatever reticle you prefer for your hunting. Let your son improve the rifle how he prefers when you give it up. I have a Zeiss Z600 reticle on my 300 Wby and while I like its function out to 600 yards it isn't better than knowing the trajectory and lots of practice. If you can't hit the target with a Plax it is way past 500 yards with that rifle.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Vortex Diamondback Scope - 12/22/14
Have a CF2 6-18x44 ao and a Viper 6.5-20x40 sf. Very impressed with both so far.
I am currently looking at the Diamondback 4-12x40 ao for a springer airgun. They seem to have a good reputation for durability from what I have read and parallax adjusts down to 10yds. They are on sale right now at one of the larger retailers but need to be back-ordered.
Posted By: tommyd53 Re: Vortex Diamondback Scope - 12/23/14
Originally Posted by specneeds
My experience with Vortex is limited to a single Viper on a 22-250 but I would go with whatever reticle you prefer for your hunting. Let your son improve the rifle how he prefers when you give it up. I have a Zeiss Z600 reticle on my 300 Wby and while I like its function out to 600 yards it isn't better than knowing the trajectory and lots of practice. If you can't hit the target with a Plax it is way past 500 yards with that rifle.

Good advice, I'll let him decide, if and when, the time comes. Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire