Home
Posted By: Steve_G What is Leupold VX-6 CDS ZL ? - 01/07/15
I don't know if it's my internet connection or not-but every time I open Luepy's website there's something new.
Anyone familiar with a VX-6 CDS-ZL ? Or the Wind-Plex reticle ?

Thanks,
Steve
From the leupold website...new for 2015

Ingrained with the thrill of the hunt, the new VX-3 drastically improves optical performance, mechanical function, and durability. We've pushed it to the limit, so you can push yourself to yours. And now with the Custom Dial System (CDS), you can now own a scope that precisely matches your rifle's ballistics.

So there is the answer to the closeout vx3 cds...
I just learned from Leupold cs. The CDS-ZL means the Wind-Plex reticle. It's a duplex with hash marks for windage, since the CDS handles bdc.
Should be out in a month or two.

AKw, Thanks I didn't realize that VX3 CDS were on closeout.
I noticed mention of the windplex on their website a month or so ago, but have not been able to find a picture of it. If set up correctly, I think it'll make the CDS scope a real winner.
Correction to my previous post.
Leupold tech spec just emailed me; ZL stands for Zero-Lock
Here's the text of the email;
Steve,

The CDS-ZL is going to have a push button that will lock the adjustment, ZL stands for "Zero-Lock"
So a Zero - Lock with wind plex reticle. Cool. Did they mention if they changed any of the guts? I'm thinking the quote I pulled off the website above was still from the vx-3 introduction, and what is "new" is the zl and reticle...
They didn't mention any other changes, I'm guessing that will be at Shot Show.
I see the VX6-ZL lists for about $125 more then similar VX6, so it might be more then just the lock-but not enough to be a different model.
Anyone have experience with the MK6 or MK8 with ZL ? It could be similar.
Pointer - take a look at the Leupold site, it shows the wind plex now.
http://www.leupold.com/reticles/firedot-wind-plex/
AKw, thanks. I was camping all weekend, nice to see when I got home.
Posted By: CFVA Re: What is Leupold VX-6 CDS ZL ? - 01/12/15
I hope they offer the same reticle without the firedot on the VX3 line, or at least retrofit that it thru the Custom Shop on older CDS scopes.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-3-5-10x40mm-cds/
Appears so, at least on vx-3 line.
Anyone seen a pic of the ZL thing?
This is the best I've found. Courtesy of Leupold.com.

This is the ZL
[Linked Image]

This is the standard VX6-CDS

[Linked Image]
Take a look at the website. There is a better pic that shoes the ZL. Appears to be a small tab that one can depress to lock the setting.
Thanks, I missed that. For some reason it's only shown with the 2-12 VX6.

[Linked Image]
OK, that makes sense.

All the talk about the CDS moving too easily, this lock will fix that...

DF
Very good, thanks fellas.
I've got one on order. No word on shipping, yet.
Keep us posted.

Looks like a good idea, no spinning CDS with this thing, the turret all locked up.

DF
Posted By: CFVA Re: What is Leupold VX-6 CDS ZL ? - 01/12/15
Originally Posted by Steve_G
I've got one on order. No word on shipping, yet.

Which one did you order?

The Zero Lock deal looks like it'd be the cat's meow, just wondering how it will handle ice and snow buildup?
that is the reticle I have been waiting for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the one CDS leupold is actually one that has tracked fairly decent for me. looks like I will be selling it and upgrading to a wind plex model.
The 3-18X50. Wondering that myself. Guess I'll find out. Mostly I wanted the Illum and reticle. Zero Lock seemed a bonus.
I'm going from VX3 to the 6 for the glass and eyebox.
VX-3 good,

VX-6 mo better...

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
VX-3 good,

VX-6 mo better...

DF

+1
Looks like the Vx6 line wind plex all have the firedot, hoping they will offer a choice of the plain windplex!
Yeah, they need to offer the Windplex without Firedot.

With these new VX-6 offerings, do we get close out prices on the std. VX-6's...??

Dreaming...

DF
Not dreaming at all. They are out there. Check your local Bass Pro...
wonder if the ZL will be an option for sending existing VX-6's into the custom shop for a retrofit...
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Not dreaming at all. They are out there. Check your local Bass Pro...

Must just be in-store. The web site doesn't have them on closeout prices yet.
Was just "in store." I got curious so stopped by again tonight. Turns out clearance lasted 5 days and is over...so much for that!
Any idea as to when these will actually be available? My oldest son is thinking this would be ideal on his .270WSM

Those that have the CDS on a VX-6, how's it been working? Reliable and repeatable?
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
wonder if the ZL will be an option for sending existing VX-6's into the custom shop for a retrofit...

I e-mailed Leupold and the answer I got was yes, it will be available as a retrofit but they didn't have details or a timeline yet. Being able to add the locking feature to a VX-6 or VX-3 will go a long ways towards making the CDS the perfect hunting turret.
I've never had a CDS to spontaneously turn. To those who have or who are concerned, this lock seems to be the answer.

DF
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Any idea as to when these will actually be available? My oldest son is thinking this would be ideal on his .270WSM

The website I ordered from shows 11 to 22 days 'til shipping.
I got a CDS MOA zero stop dial for my VX-6, but haven't installed it yet. The dial seemed small for the scope, almost like it's a dial for a VX-3. Are the CDS dials all the same size?
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I've never had a CDS to spontaneously turn. To those who have or who are concerned, this lock seems to be the answer.

DF

That'll be a deal maker for a lot of folks. I was interested in one for my son's graduation build but finally let him in on the secret and an HD5 2-10 got the nod. Still, I'm one of those that doesn't have a CDS type turret and wouldn't have one without a lock. Getting things together for my own 6.5x55 build this summer and the Loopy Lock will get a good look.

"If a turret can turn freely it will eventually do so at a most inopportune time". Murphy
I checked mine, I have a VX-3 CDS and a VX-6 CDS-ZL. the dial on the 6 is considerably larger. I don't know if it's due to the difference between 1" tube and 30mm tube.
I do as well. Main difference is VX3 is 15MOA per turn vs 20MOA per turn with VX6, probably due to internals/30mm tube as SteveG says. None of my CDS dials have ever inadvertently moved, whether VX3 or VX6. Even if they do, the zero stop is foolproof. You could make sure it's back to zero in pitch dark.
Well crap. They sent me a VX3 CDS dial.
Originally Posted by Steve_G
I checked mine, I have a VX-3 CDS and a VX-6 CDS-ZL. the dial on the 6 is considerably larger. I don't know if it's due to the difference between 1" tube and 30mm tube.

It's the difference in turrets, not 1" vs. 30mm tube size. They could probably have put VX-3 type turrets on the VX-6, but they designed a different turret system for the VX-6. Why, I don't know, but feel sure they do... grin

Anyway, it's a different set up.

DF
© 24hourcampfire