Home
Did anyone go to the SHOT Show and get a chance to check out these new riflescopes from Leica ? Looks like they have some nice features especially the 4 inches of ER, a more slender eye piece and a much lower price.

[u][color:#000099][size:11pt]Leica ER5 Riflescopes[/size][/color][/u]
I'll let them let me test one of their 2-10x with a ballistic plex reticle.
Doug from Camera Land posted some information about them.
Roy,
I was pretty excited about the new offerings but I gotta ask - why the 32mm on the 8x? A 36mm would have been the ticket with that one.
I agree with Scott. The 36mm would be way better than a 32mm IMHO.

Reno
Yep. They missed the mark if the American market was the target.

Nothing between 33-49mm is just plain asinine IMO......
Looks like a promising scope to me. I'll probably be in line for one of the 1.5-8X32's with the 4A reticle.
I agree that a 36mm would have been better. Leupold did the same thing with their 1 3/4-6x32 and I though they should have gone with a 36mm on that scope as well. What I do with my variables while deer hunting is to keep them somewhere between 4X and 6X so would have at least a 5mm exit pupil and sometimes up to a 6mm exit pupil. I figure if I'm whitetail hunting and the light is real poor, I'm going to have to make the shot as in poor light doesn't really give you the opportunity to shoot at great distances anyway.
Originally Posted by SKane
Roy,
I was pretty excited about the new offerings but I gotta ask - why the 32mm on the 8x? A 36mm would have been the ticket with that one.

I bet the optics are so good it won't matter that it's 32mm. wink
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Yep. They missed the mark if the American market was the target.

Nothing between 33-49mm is just plain asinine IMO......

Their intention with these scopes was to fill the gaps left behind from their ERi series. I think they did a real good job at that. The only thing I probably would have done with the 3-15 model would have been to put a 50mm objective on it instead of the 56mm. I think S&B has a 3-12 with 42mm, 50mm and 56mm on that model. I could be wrong about that and maybe it's just a 42mm and 50mm. I know some folks wanted to see the AquaDura coating on these scopes, but I think the reason they didn't was to save that feature for their more expensive line, the ERi. One thing I really like is the smaller more streamlined eye piece on these new models and they still have 4 inches of ER. I think all the other euro makers have between 90mm and 95mm or 3.54 inches to 3.75 approx. 4 inches of ER makes it perfect for our magnums and our lightweight mountain rifle craze going on right now. Personally, I think Leica nailed.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Roy,

They'll sell a few of them. 36mm would have made the cash register ring a whole bunch more.

And, I'm admittedly a function AND form guy.
Unless it's a straight tube, the thingy in the front needs to be larger than the thingy in the back. grin
Roy,

Not sure if that's TIC but I'm sure the optics are fantastic. Have you ever seen a Leica product that didn't have great optics ? I haven't.
Originally Posted by TC1
Looks like a promising scope to me. I'll probably be in line for one of the 1.5-8X32's with the 4A reticle.

I'll be throwing all my Bushnell Elites in the garbage when they come out with these.................lol
Aah...please don't. I'll pay shipping and supply my address!?
I do have a couple of questions if anyone knows:

1. This ER5 line seems to be of lighter weight. How was this achieved?
2. Which american company is doing assembly?
3. How/where will warranty be handled, US or Germany?
4. Assuming warranty is still original owner only?

Thanks.
Anybody see any prices on them yet?

Looks pretty decent, but I do wish the 2-10's were 40-45mm vs 50, but what the heck.. I'd try one. Every Leica I have seen has been awesome in the glass department.
RD: I was being serious....no TIC. Leica has great optics. I like the looks of that scope even with the 32mm objective.

How much moola? smile
Features:
 Highly usable 5:1 magnification ratio
 4� of extended eye-relief
 Precise and highly tactile � moa turret adjustments
 Finger re-settable turret calibrations
 Balanced turret and main tube design for mounting flexibility
 Rugged one-piece main tube of Aerospace grade aluminum
 Waterproof and fog-proof go anywhere performance
 Low profile turrets perfect for saddle scabbards
 Generous windage and elevation adjustment ranges
Available in 6 models with a wide choice of reticles, a perfect match can be found for any hunting/shooting need.

New ER 5 Riflescopes Made in USA
#51080 ER 5 1-5 x 24, Plex @ $749.00
#51081 ER 5 1-5 x 24, 4A @ $749.00
#51082 ER 5 1-5 x 24, CirclePlex @ $779.00
#51083 ER 5 1-5 x 24, LE-TAC @ $779.00
#51040 ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, Plex @ $799.00
#51041 ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, 4A @ $799.00
#51042 ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, CirclePlex @ $829.00
#51043 ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, LE-TAC @ $829.00
#51050 ER 5 2-10 x 50, Plex @ $999.00
#51051 ER 5 2-10 x 50, 4A @ $999.00
#51052 ER 5 2-10 x 50, Std. Ballistic @ $1,029.00
#51053 ER 5 2-10 x 50, Mag. Ballistic @ $1,029.00
#51070 ER 5 3-15 x 56, Plex @ $1,299.00
#51071 ER 5 3-15 x 56, 4A @ $1,299.00
#51074 ER 5 3-15 x 56, Std. Ballistic @ $1,329.00
#51075 ER 5 3-15 x 56, Mag. Ballistic @ $1,329.00
#51060 ER 5 4-20 x 50, Plex @ $1,299.00
#51065 ER 5 4-20 x 50, Mag. Ballistic @ $1,329.00
#51090 ER 5 5-25 x 56, Plex @ $1,399.00
#51095 ER 5 5-25 x 56, Mag. Ballistic @ $1,429.00
They expect availability in the Spring
RD: I was being serious....no TIC. Leica has great optics. I like the looks of that scope even with the 32mm objective.

How much moola? smile

Doug posted this in the shot show thread.
ew ER 5 Riflescopes Made in USA
#51080 ER 5 1-5 x 24, Plex @ $749.00
#51081 ER 5 1-5 x 24, 4A @ $749.00
#51082 ER 5 1-5 x 24, CirclePlex @ $779.00
#51083 ER 5 1-5 x 24, LE-TAC @ $779.00
#51040 ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, Plex @ $799.00
#51041 ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, 4A @ $799.00
#51042 ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, CirclePlex @ $829.00
#51043 ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, LE-TAC @ $829.00
#51050 ER 5 2-10 x 50, Plex @ $999.00
#51051 ER 5 2-10 x 50, 4A @ $999.00
#51052 ER 5 2-10 x 50, Std. Ballistic @ $1,029.00
#51053 ER 5 2-10 x 50, Mag. Ballistic @ $1,029.00
#51070 ER 5 3-15 x 56, Plex @ $1,299.00
#51071 ER 5 3-15 x 56, 4A @ $1,299.00
#51074 ER 5 3-15 x 56, Std. Ballistic @ $1,329.00
#51075 ER 5 3-15 x 56, Mag. Ballistic @ $1,329.00
#51060 ER 5 4-20 x 50, Plex @ $1,299.00
#51065 ER 5 4-20 x 50, Mag. Ballistic @ $1,329.00
#51090 ER 5 5-25 x 56, Plex @ $1,399.00
#51095 ER 5 5-25 x 56, Mag. Ballistic @ $1,429.00
They expect availability in the Spring

How much moola? smile

They start at.....are you sitting down....? $749.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I do have a couple of questions if anyone knows:

1. This ER5 line seems to be of lighter weight. How was this achieved?
2. Which american company is doing assembly?
3. How/where will warranty be handled, US or Germany?
4. Assuming warranty is still original owner only?

Thanks.

1. That I don't know and it's a good question. They make it very clear that their goal(s) were focused on their reputation for durability. I'm not sure that the specs for weight on their site are correct because someone asked about the weights of the two lower power models being inconsistent. The 2-10x50 sure doesn't indicate that corners were cut on weight as I think it was listed at 20 or 22 ounces which seems about right for other euro makers of scopes in that configuration.

2. I asked and they won't say. I don't believe that they are assembling them at their corporate facility though.

3. USA warranty. Don't know why they would send something back to Germany that was assembled here, but some manufacturers want to see why something broke and not just patch them up and send them back to the customer. I know if I had a problem I'd want the guys who designed them to take a look and see if anything needed to be improved before they kept production going and having an issue continue.

4. I think it says it somewhere in the link I posted.

JG, as a side note and because you've asked before, I think the reticles are a little thicker too. I would welcome that as well.
LOL I get it.
RD/RH: That ain't bad!
Looks as if the only downside to them is that there isn't a 2 inch high turret sticking up from them.
I don't have good internet here and the file from their site won't download, could someone post the total length, mounting length and tube size (1" or 30MM) for the 2-10 please.

thanks, gary
Thinking they have the 1.5-8x32 listed weight inverted with the 1-5x24 on the technical data brochure...or it is misprinted.

Here are the specs from the download. OAL is 14" and it has 2" of mounting length on the front section and 2.6" on the rear. Scope weighs 22 ounces. Tube diameter is 30mm. In addition it has 100 MOA of elevation travel and 90 MOA of windage travel. Here is my Leica ER 2.5-10x42 mounted on a Remington 300 WM. It has an OAL of 12 3/4" so it should give you a good idea of how much mounting length you'll have with the ER 5.

[Linked Image]
Looks like they also have the Magnus and ERi models....how they differ in price and features from the ER 5 I can't tell. Might have lighted reticles.

I bet they are more expensive than the ER 5.
Originally Posted by 8nbait
I don't have good internet here and the file from their site won't download, could someone post the total length, mounting length and tube size (1" or 30MM) for the 2-10 please.

thanks, gary

I saw some info on the "Net" said they were 30mm
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Here are the specs from the download. OAL is 14" and it has 2" of mounting length on the front section and 2.6" on the rear. Scope weighs 22 ounces. Tube diameter is 30mm. In addition it has 100 MOA of elevation travel and 90 MOA of windage travel. Here is my Leica ER 2.5-10x42 mounted on a Remington 300 WM. It has an OAL of 12 3/4" so it should give you a good idea of how much mounting length you'll have with the ER 5.

[Linked Image]

Thank you, it looks like a good option.

Gary
Looks like they also have the Magnus and ERi models....how they differ in price and features from the ER 5 I can't tell. Might have lighted reticles.

I bet they are more expensive than the ER 5.

Bob, the Magnus is a wide magnification series of Leica scopes. I think they are 6x or 6.5x zoom ratio's. They too have illuminated reticles. They, narurally, are more expensive than the ERi series which is a standard 4x zoom range. The Magnus isn't sold here yet as there was another euro scope company that filed a patent suit against Leica for a design feature they thought was exclusive to them. They lost in court and now the Magnus will be offered in more countries. I think the Magnus is a second focal plane based scope too. They have a Leica Plex illuminated reticle that looks absolutely perfect.
RD, does that mean that Leica has plans to offer the Magnus here in the states?
I've been dying to get my hands on one of these.
OK. Thanks.
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
RD, does that mean that Leica has plans to offer the Magnus here in the states?
I've been dying to get my hands on one of these.

I believe so but I'm not 100% positive on that one. They are pricey, but they have every option you can think of except a low price tag..... grin
RD not to drive you crazy...you are a good guy to answer all these questions smile but....where can the ER5 be purchased? Anyone have them for sale yet?
They are not available yet Bob. I believe they said May of this year. Here is a pic of the illuminated plex reticle that will be used in the Magnus line. The mag range is 6.7x not what I previously stated, 6-6.5x.

[Linked Image]
RD it looks a lot like the S&B Zenith illuminated dot. Wonder if that was the other side in the lawsuit?

Looks nice!
The suit involved the use of a lens to flatten the image throughout the magnification range. It wasn't S&B, it was Swaro and they lost in a European court. I spoke with ILya about it and he said that the suit was frivolous as they (Swaro) never should have been able to bring something like that to court. Swaro somehow got a patent on the design feature and they never should have been granted the patent in the first place.
Interesting!
I sure like that reticle, thanks for posting RDF.
I believe there were several patent lawsuits between Swarovski and Leica, to engage the patent laws in different countries. I read somewhere that Leica won in one of the continental countries, but that Swarovski won in Great Britain, hence the Leica Magnus line cannot be sold in GB.

Someone else may be more current on this. Since Swarovski has pursued these patent suits in several countries, they'll certainly try to protect their patent in the United States.
It was my understanding the Leica could not sell or advertise the Magnus line in the US. Thus the ER line was born. Now, the Leica USA website is showing the Magnus line. My guess is they are coming to the USA.

The original ER line was made in Germany, the ERi Portugal and now the ER5 USA. Which is surprising for two reasons. First, Leica sells on the fact that all their products except for some cameras that are made by Panasonic are made in house 100%. Second, the last time Leica farmed out a scope to Leupold is was a complete failure. I hope that history does not repeat its self.
Well, Leica has their own manufacturing plant in Portugal and to my knowledge always has. I hear what you are saying about where their products are actually assembled but this has been going on since the beginning of time. To my knowledge, Leica's bino's and spotters have always been assembled in their plant in Portugal. I have the original Leica ER scope and it says on the box, Made in Germany. As you said, I believe the newer ERi line are assembled in Portugal by a Leica owned plant. Meopta, one of the largest OEM's in the world, has been making all kinds of scopes, bino's and spotters for big name companies for years..ie the original Conquest line had the bulk of the Conquest parts made by Meopta, with only the erector assembly made by Zeiss, and simply had all the components sent to a USA assembly plant for final assembly. Another well known euro makers of bino's had their entire bino made in Japan and only assembled the bino outter cover or shell in Austria. I could go on and on, but today's products are a collection of world wide assembly. Lastly, the Zeiss Terra bino's are made in China but the Terra rifescope line is made in Japan. I have very, very little doubt that the newer Leica ERi scopes will be made with the kind of precision and superlative optics we've come to expect fro a Leica product. Zeiss has glass making making plants all over the world, and yes, even in China.
LOL you never know what you're buying...who can keep up with all this? grin
Yes, Leica has had their plant in Portugal from at least late 80's. I have a pair of BCA that I bought late 80's and now a Geovid from there. While I would prefer everything Leica be made in Germany, I understand cost control. My point being Leica selling point was 100% Leica owned and controlled, unlike Zeiss and Swaro. Unless they built a plant in the USA, they lose that selling point and they lose Leica quality control and risk their reputation as the worlds finest optics company.

My guess on the ER5 is Meopta.

ER 5, 2-10-X 50 Does it have a zero stop ?

ER 5, 2-10-X 50 Can you make more than one revolution with the turret ?

I like the looks of this scope. Just looking for more information.

Thanks
You could be right about Meopta. They made the Conquest (as RD said), and the Zeiss diascope spotters for a few years. They also made the Leica spotters for a while, and currently make the Nightforce spotter, so who knows. One thing I do know is that, no offense intended to anyone, that I'd buy a Meopta product over a Leica or Zeiss product any day of the week and several times on Sundays.
Thanks for the tip JG
I have two of the 2-1/2-10x42 ER Leica's. One is a 50015 IBS reticle and the other is a 50024 BDD reticle. They both are marked: Made In Germany. I would rate the optics as equivalent or better than any other scopes that I own

I currently own (10) riflescopes including: Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski, Minox (HD) and of course, Leica. EuroOptic currently has these Leica scopes on sale as they have been replaced by the ER5 scopes, made in the US.

Specs on the Leica ER scopes are as follows:
Scope Weight: 15.1 oz.
•Scope Length: 12.5" - 13"
•Magnification Range: 2.5-10x
•Scope Objective Diameter: 42 mm
•Scope Tube Size / Mount: 30 mm
•Scope Turret Adjustment: .25 MOA
•Reticle Position: second
•Field of View: 43.5' @ 100 yds.
•Eye Relief: 3.94"
•Illuminated Reticle: no
•Scope Finish: matte black
Bumping this one after a few years. And another RIP to RDFinn.

Just got notification from a nice gentleman @ Leica – appears the ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, after two years of waiting since it was announced, finally died on the vine before officially being offered. Grrrrr.

No wonder Leica can seemingly never get traction in the scope market. And I was excited about this one.
Bumping this one after a few years. And another RIP to RDFinn.

Just got notification from a nice gentleman @ Leica – appears the ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, after two years of waiting since it was announced, finally died on the vine before officially being offered. Grrrrr.

No wonder Leica can seemingly never get traction in the scope market. And I was excited about this one.

Doug has the Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32 on discount. I went with one 2 years ago. Great glass,I highly recommend one.
With regards to Leica and Portugal . I have a pair of Leitz ( Leica) Trinovid binoculars from the early 1980s made in Portugal. So they have been doing it for a long time. I also have 3 Leica 2.5x10 ERs and 3 of the 2.5x10ERis . Very happy with them .

Mark
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Doug has the Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32 on discount. I went with one 2 years ago. Great glass,I highly recommend one.

I've considered it, I just can't bring myself to do so.
Well, I know it's an old thread that was recently revived, but if anyone thought the reticles were too thin a few years ago, Leica did listen. I have a n ER5 2-10x50 with a 4-a. At 10x, it covers 0.5" at 100 yards, and the distance between the heavy posts is only 36". I've only had it a day (a vendor moved the remaining models at half price, and I got the very last 2-10x!), but so far, I am impressed. I'll check it out more in the coming weeks.

But if any of you find a good deal on one and had reservations about the reticle, let's just say that the 4-a in this model is simply outstanding for low light.
© 24hourcampfire