Home
Went on to their custom shop wanting to look @ 3x scopes .... starting price for an FX-2 3x20 is $625!!! Really? $625? Hell SWFA seems like a friggin' bargain @ $500. Those who got in @ the $299 starting prices are either lucky or friggin' genius.

Rant secured, restore all gear.

Best,
gjh
I bought a couple of them a couple of years ago; one off Campfire classifieds and one from SWFA. I thought they were expensive then but now feel much better. smile

I agree with you that the current prices are insane! cry

I am not a genius - just wish I was! laugh
I asked for simple things like a mil reticle or the windplex on an fx-3 and was told it was not possible.

Some custom shop
Originally Posted by RWE
I asked for simple things like a mil reticle or the windplex on an fx-3 and was told it was not possible.

Some custom shop

They tell you what you want and how you'll like it. That's "custom".

Too bad they put Precision Reticle out of the custom business on Leupold scopes. With them, you really could get what you wanted.
I went to buy a 3x from swfa last week and saw the huge price bump. I thought they were only 350-400 when I checked last month. To bad won't be buying one now.
Leupold's site also no longer lists the 2.5x20 FX-II Ultralight scope, just the IER (Intermediate Eye Relief, or "scout") version. SWFA still lists the 2.5-x20 Ultralight for $270, but for how long?
Originally Posted by RWE

Some custom shop

I called about the windplex in a 6x42 today. Fella said 8-10 months. He also said all the current production windplex reticles were going in production scopes. Makes sense to me.
I picked up two of each a while back at better prices....glad for that but sure wish we had Precision Reticle around to install pickets as I hate this huge German posts....especially the horizontals....no purpose to em at all.
Originally Posted by avagadro
Went on to their custom shop wanting to look @ 3x scopes .... starting price for an FX-2 3x20 is $625!!! Really? $625? Hell SWFA seems like a friggin' bargain @ $500. Those who got in @ the $299 starting prices are either lucky or friggin' genius.

Best,
gjh

Why don't you buy 4x33 instead. I'm grasping at straws, but the only plausible reason to pick 3x would be slightly more room for wider ring spacing.
Well the hunters cried for them for years and they brought them back. The demand however may have been a little artificial at $600+. I know I won't be buying one. powdr
Originally Posted by VernAK
I picked up two of each a while back at better prices....glad for that but sure wish we had Precision Reticle around to install pickets as I hate this huge German posts....especially the horizontals....no purpose to em at all.

Ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto.

Actually considered rotating out/selling off one of mine, then noted the replacement price today. Couldn't believe it. You mean the ONLY thing in my cabinet that's significantly accrued value in the past few years is a Leupold scope!?!? cry

Nope, hold on, wait a minute. We're not being disaffected by Leopold 3x20mm hoarders now, are we? Is that the new "prepper" thing now?
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by RWE

Some custom shop

I called about the windplex in a 6x42 today. Fella said 8-10 months. He also said all the current production windplex reticles were going in production scopes. Makes sense to me.

Fella I talked to replied, verbatim, "We would not be able to do any reticle with windage holds in the 6X42. The closest reticle I could do will be either a LR or a custom duplex."

That does not imply a production issue with a delay of 8-10 months, that implies nothing with windage marks, whether the mildot or moa windplex, on a FX. I guess I should have asked him to clarify, but I thought my original inquiry was adequate.

Of course, I was about to suggest a custom duplex that had dots spaced about every mil or so, but I'm tired of being an ass.
Fellas,you can buy a 3x used. That's what I did,paid a whole $25 for it,sent it to Leopold to clean up and replace the reticle with a duplex for $60. Have a whopping $85 in it.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9632870/Leupold_3X#Post9632870
This is Leupolds windplex reticle
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by avagadro

Best,
gjh

Why don't you buy 4x33 instead. I'm grasping at straws, but the only plausible reason to pick 3x would be slightly more room for wider ring spacing.

Have those. Was thinking a two matching 3x's on on my 39A and one on my 30AS.

Just surprised as he!! at that asking price ... TWICE of what their introductory price was when they reintroduced them. Seems to me the 1.5-4x20 VX-2 may be the way to go.
smile
...deflave

Thanks for the referral, should I raise my price ?? LOL

Tom aka rinkydink
Originally Posted by 4ager

They tell you what you want and how you'll like it. That's "custom".

Too bad they put Precision Reticle out of the custom business on Leupold scopes. With them, you really could get what you wanted.

Amen. I miss Premier.
I have two 3x. One man's junk is another's treasure. While the 3x was out of print, I gave $200 for a really nice M8, then later $25 for another. Last time I looked they were $329.95 at SWFA. W O W ! I suspect that is their "we really don't want to make one" price.

Jack
I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that the Leupold Custom Shop was producing a set amount of discontinued scopes and calling/selling them as limited production. I'm guessing now that the 3x is a custom only scope. Like I said,I could be wrong though. I would've really liked one but they were priced out of my budget when they came out, let alone now. I hunt deer in Northern MN and Northern WI and think a fixed 3x is about perfect for my 20-200 yard shots that I normally get.
Jeez, I paid $324.99 for mine and thought that was kinda steep. Bought a matte one wish I'd bought a gloss one too. It's kinda a shame because I'm starting to like mine after first I was like what's all the fuss about a 3x? But now it's growing on me. My theory is that leupold thinks that these scopes are being sold to the big bore, dangerous game crowd, and if they can afford a safari than they can afford a new 3x, but a 3x also makes a fine scope for a number deer rifles. I'm afraid that at the new price the 3x will be priced into being discontinued due to poor sales
Originally Posted by Zs84
I'm afraid that at the new price the 3x will be priced into being discontinued due to poor sales

Almost like they planned it that way, right?
Bought two when they first came out. This one is a little different.

[Linked Image]

Great woods scope and have dialed it out to 300 on paper. One of favorites.
Just get the 4x and you'll be just as happy, in my experience.
I have a 4x33. Never really saw the need for a 3x since we had 2.5x and 4x. What I want is a 6x fx3 with mildot and mil knobs...
The tube length allows me to get that eye relief where I want it especially on a magnum action.
And Leupold told me it is actually 3.7x. Not sure why they wouldn't call it what is really is or just make it 3x to begin with. ????
Originally Posted by glazer1972
I have a 4x33. Never really saw the need for a 3x since we had 2.5x and 4x. What I want is a 6x fx3 with mildot and mil knobs...

The only advantage I can see is it could be mounted on something like Ritterbusch Super magnum. If I could afford something from Jagdgewehre Ritterbusch I would buy Nickel 1.5-6x30mm instead.
Originally Posted by battue
And Leupold told me it is actually 3.7x. Not sure why they wouldn't call it what is really is or just make it 3x to begin with. ????

So, it's basically a straight tube 4x.

They should call it that, price it not f'ked up, and sell the hell out of them.
Bump to add that Leupold now has this scope priced at $400.

https://customshop.leupold.com/
battue,

Dunno who told you 3.7x, but I was in on the development of the "new" 3x20 Leupold early on, and as I recall it was rated at 3.4x. The original 3x20 was rated at 2.7x, as I recall.

At any rate, there is s significant difference in field of view and tube length between the 3x20 and 4x33, which is what the people clamoring for the reintroduction of the 3x wanted.
Just to add my .02, most scopes aren't exactly the powers they have stamped on them. The 2.5x20 ultralight is 2.3 power and the VX-1 3-9x40 is actually 3.2 to 8.8 power. I have a couple of old Japanese Bushnell Banner 2.5x20s. They are actually listed as 2.2x and do give me a very distracting view of my front sight. I would think that a 3x wouldn't so much, plus I really like the look of a fixed power scope with no front bell.
Notice it is an FX-2...not FX-II. Why in the [bleep] haven't they upgraded the rest of the fx-II's???
Well further inspection of leupold custom shop revealed that the 3x is now priced at $399. I also noticed the fx2 upgrade of index matched glass and finger adjustable clicks. Mine has multi coat 4 and coin clicks. Comparable price to a vx3 1.5-5. Not a bargain but it ain't so cRaZY
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
battue,

Dunno who told you 3.7x, but I was in on the development of the "new" 3x20 Leupold early on, and as I recall it was rated at 3.4x. The original 3x20 was rated at 2.7x, as I recall.

At any rate, there is s significant difference in field of view and tube length between the 3x20 and 4x33, which is what the people clamoring for the reintroduction of the 3x wanted.

Obviously I heard wrong. Not all that rare these days.

Doubt if many will give the new 3x much of a chance with current trends being what they are, but I like mine more than a little.
© 24hourcampfire