Home
Posted By: troutfisher13111 VX II vs. III - 02/28/15
Seems to be a lot of VX II fans here. Can anyone give me a reason to spend the extra cash on the III? I am stuck between the VX II 2-7x33 and the VX III 1.75-6x32 for my 7600 carbine.
Posted By: STS45 Re: VX II vs. III - 02/28/15
I recently mounted a VXII 3x9 (not the newer VX2) on my dad's Model 70. On my rifle I have a VXIII 2.5x8. At the range my VXIII was noticeably more clear and bright TO US. You mileage may very but after sighting his rifle in and switching to mine I immediately noticed the difference.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: VX II vs. III - 02/28/15
STS45,

The VX-2's have the same glass as the VX-III's.
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: VX II vs. III - 02/28/15
Then, what's the difference between the two?
Posted By: atse Re: VX II vs. III - 03/01/15
Back when I bought my vxII's (2 of them) I asked the people at the Leupold shop the same question. What was the difference between them. The person I talked to told me they were the same scopes except that the vx III's had one more light gathering coating on the lenses. That was it. That being said, I never had any problem with the vx II in low light conditions.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: VX II vs. III - 03/01/15
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
Then, what's the difference between the two?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
STS45,

The VX-2's have the same glass as the VX-III's.

Notice the "2" and the "III"...that is the difference. The current product lines use standard numerals versus Roman numerals.

The current VX-2 is the same, optically, to the previously designated VX-III.
Posted By: mathman Re: VX II vs. III - 03/01/15
Not quite. They now have the same coatings, but the underlying optical design is different.
Posted By: bcraig Re: VX II vs. III - 03/01/15
What is the Light transmission on the VX1,VX2 and VX3 ?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: VX II vs. III - 03/01/15
Doesn't the VX3 have 2 springs supporting the erector assembly vs 1 for the VX2?

Keeping track of these Leupold model numbers gets confusing after awhile..
Posted By: Labman95 Re: VX II vs. III - 03/01/15
Bob - you're correct. The VX3 scopes have dual erector springs versus a single spring on the VX2 models. I have a VXII (not a VX2) that has been back to Leupold twice due to tracking problems. Seems to work OK now, but only time will tell.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: VX II vs. III - 03/01/15
Labman that alone is enough to tilt me in one direction over the other.

Anybody know: Does the FX 3 6x42 have dual erector springs? Just mounted one up is why I ask.
Posted By: atse Re: VX II vs. III - 03/02/15
I had no issues at all with the glass on both of my vx II's but both had to go back twice each for new erectors, and one developed a poi change between powers. (they were both 6x18 with target turrets.)I have since switched to a swfa on my main rifle. will likely do the same on the other as well.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: VX II vs. III - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Anybody know: Does the FX 3 6x42 have dual erector springs? Just mounted one up is why I ask.

Bob,

Look in the objective with a decent flashlight and you will see the springs. Crank the elevation up to the stop and the windage to the right and it is easier to see the springs under the erector tube.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: VX II vs. III - 03/02/15
No kidding! John I did not know that! Pretty cool!

I will take a look. Thanks!
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: VX II vs. III - 03/02/15
The VX-3 1.75x6 has .4" less eye relief at max magnification than the VX-2 2x7. That alone would steer me toward the VX-2.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: VX II vs. III - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Single.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: VX II vs. III - 03/04/15
Pappy thanks.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: VX II vs. III - 03/04/15
I have the catalog downloaded on my iPad. As usual, the info most of us want is split between the catalog and the website so, you have to check both places.

It's a fiendish plot.
Posted By: bigdavehunting1 Re: VX II vs. III - 03/06/15
The variables on all the vx-11 are 2-7 3-9 4-12 6-18 and on the 111 or 3's are 2.5-8, 3.5-10, 4.5-14, 6.5-20 Ive always thought I liked the 3's better.
© 24hourcampfire