Home
Sending in an old M8 4x to get the Parralax changed. Going to put it on a high-powered pellet rifle and use it to whack squirrels and such. Not sure if 25 yards or 50 yards would be best. Opinions?
If it's a spring type air rifle you will destroy a fine old scope.

Get a scope designed for air rifles.

As I understand Leupold's services, they will only change it to 50 yds., not 25 yds.
I'm not sure you even need to do that. The 4X scopes, probably due to their deep depth of focus, seldom show much parallax. If you do have some, try using the ocular adjustment to remove it.
You might want to ask Leupold about it suitability for a pellet rifle. Even if the rifle breaks down the scope, Leupold should fix it for you free of charge. E
Thanks guys for the info
I'm pretty darn sure Leupold will NOT take responsibility for a scope destroyed by an air rifle.

They've seen it before. It is abuse and they will know it.

Just give them a call and ASK them about it before doing anything.
35 yds.

Shod
You can learn a lot here:
http://www.rimfirebenchrest.com/articles/parallax.html
If you understand a little math, you can use what you learn from the link above to set up a spreadsheet that will tell you the maximum possible parallax error at any distance depending on where your scope is set parallax free.

I'm 99% sure Leupold will tell you any of their scopes may be used on a spring piston air rifle, but I would ask them.

I think there is a mechanical limit as to how low they are able to set the parallax free distance, and I believe it is close to 50 yards. Hope this helps.

Gun Doc
I have a Vari-X II 2-7x mounted on my Ruger 10/22 Target. I sent it to Leupold a few months ago to have the parallax changed to their rimfire setting, which is 60 yds. Leupold charged me $28 dollars for this service, which included return shipping, and it only took a week to get it back.
Talked to Leupold today. They said my M8 can handle the recoil no problem because of the way they mount their recticle. I will send it in and have the Parralax adjusted to 25 yards.
Good to know. Have fun. E
Do it yourself
© 24hourcampfire