Home

I am mounting a VariX III 2.5-8x36 on an Remington 700 short action with a standard barrel and want to know if I can get away with Talley LW extra lows? I know the lows will work but would like to get the scope as low as possible.
Anybody got any set up like this?

Thanks!
Should be fine.
The power selector is the concern

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/3561027/Re_Talley_Extra_Low_LW_Rings_B
I put that same scope in extra lows on my LA M700 in 30-06.
To get the power ring to clear I had to grind a slight groove in the rear base. Put a little black from a Magic Marker on it and you would never know it was there.
Mine works just fine with no needed mods. Alumina covers though are needed if you want to use scope covers.
Thanks for the help!
I think Im gonna go ahead and order the extra lows and give them a try.
If I remember I'll post a pic later on. If you end up not liking them I'll trade you a set of low Talley's for the extra low.
Sounds great! I'd love to see a photo.

Thanks!
I lied, guess I don't have a picture of the rifle with that set up. It now had a 6x36 on it, but I'll see about a picture this weekend. I pulled the 2.5-8 on it and put it on a different rifle.

Here's a Model 7 with a 2-7x32 in Extra Lows. The objective isn't an issue, it's the eye piece with any sort of eye cap other than an alumina cap.

Anyways, again if you end up not liking them I've got an extra set of lows I'd swap you. So other than postage, it's a cheap gamble.

[Linked Image]
Different beast, nothing protrudes on the rear base on the 7
© 24hourcampfire