Home
Posted By: leftycarbon .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Boy oh boy it gets frustrating with .300 mags eating scopes. Was just shooting my Tikka .300 winny. This rifle is a consistant shooter. Usually puts 5 into.7" to 1" with hunting loads. (180 BT or TTSX with either of the 4831's)

Shooting at 200 yards which is my zero. 2 hit right on zero couldn't see the third and thought went into another hole. Fired another and noticed a hole low left about a foot low. One more shot was low and left into the dirt.

Checked all the mounts, action screws. All good. I guess this one is going to make the trip to Leupold again. It is a VX 3, 3.5X10 CDS. It has lasted about 75 rounds.
2nd time back to Leupold.

Lefty C
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Time to try the new Nightforce SHV 3x10x42.........
Posted By: BobinNH Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Some variables and lightweight 300's aren't a good mix.

I guess it's something we all have to learn for ourselves. frown
Posted By: bearstalker Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Bad luck, I guess. I got the same scope but with the B&C reticle on my 8 lb. 300 RUM. Always stacks them 2" high at 100.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Get a Nikon Monarch 3....even Pro Staff and Sluggun will hold up to heavy recoil better compared to Leupolds and better eye relief.

Myself and several other people are using them on large bore lightweight rifles weighing less that 8 pounds, 375 up to 500 caliber. In 3 years and thousands of full power rounds not one has broken. Usually in one year 5-12 Leupolds would be going back for repairs.
Posted By: sidepass Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Disconcerting, my favorite hunting scope.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Lefty C,

I have used a Burris Signature 3-9x, and a Leupold VX-III, 2.5-8x, on my .300 Weatherby for 20 years or so, with nary a failure. Last year, I took the Leupold off the Wby. and put it on my Ruger Hawkeye .375 Ruger, where it continues to operate without a problem.

It may be just a case of getting a bum scope to begin with. Even if Leupold fixes it, you are not going to have a lot of confidence in it. It stands to reason that scopes on heavy kickers may not last as long as on milder shooters, but that's what they were designed for, after all. If it were me, I would list it on ebay, and get another Leupold.

I always carry a spare scope when hunting far afield with my Weatherby or my Ruger, but so far, no need to use it.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
I really like this combo and have taken 2 elk and a mulie with it. I backpack and I really don't want a heavy scope like a NF on this rifle. I am actually surprised it failed as the recoil is really not that bad. Perhaps I will go with a 6x42 with dotz.........after all elk are pretty big targets

Lefty C
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Try a fixed power like a 6x. Fewer parts and unlikely to ever go TU.
Posted By: powdr Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Agreeing w/Bob to a point...but when a manufacturer builds a scope it should be able to withstand the recoil of any mainstream rifle recoil. If not they should have some kind of warning on the box like may not hold up to heavy recoil. Kinda extreme I know but my opinion. powdr
Posted By: gemby58 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Time to try the new Nightforce SHV 3x10x42.........

+1 Have a Nightforce on my Mcmillian 50BMG since I got it, over 1700 rounds and its still holds zero and tracks like it was new. Anything that's a heavy hitter wears a Nightforce. I have them on my 300 wby, 300 Ultra, 257 STW, 30-378 Wby, 338-378 Wby, 338-416 Rigby, 340 Wby, and 358 STA, they all wears Nightforces and have not had to send one back.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
I shoot Leupolds on some heavy kickers. Had a VXII go south several years ago, but it's held up since being returned.

I would tell Leupold that you have lost confidence in this scope and would like a new replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a brand new scope.
Posted By: AMRA Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
I ain`t got no dog in this hunt but.......
My Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light Weight 30-06 I bought here
from Wes 7x57 has Busted these scopes in this order.
All Leupolds Vari X III 1.75-6x32 HD
VX III 1.75-6x32 HD
FX 3 6x42 HD
FX 3 6x42 LRD
All were sent back to Leupold and returned to as new condition
Sold all of them here.
I love Leupold`s more than ANY other scope maker but
for me I am trying other makes for now.
May try a Leupold Redfield Revolution next on this 30-06 and see how it does.
AMRA
Posted By: whitebread Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
I put over 800 rounds of 200 grain .300 Win Mag through the Mark 4 version of your scope. Never a problem and held zero regardless of what happened to the rifle.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Whiebread

I really like Leupolds and have them on several rifles that kick more than this Tikka. For some reason this scope has failed twice on this rifle. There is no second guessing it either it usually throws shoots 4-6" per shot.

I also own three NF scopes on my heavy long range competition rifles, great scopes but not for this rifle. IMOP even the compact ones are a bit heavy for a pure mountain rifle.

Lefty C
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
With concern about a scope giving up, one could always have a couple, mounted in QD rings and pre sighted. If one bites the dust, mount the other.

One headed back for CS, the other on the gun.

DF
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Whiebread

I really like Leupolds and have them on several rifles that kick more than this Tikka. For some reason this scope has failed twice on this rifle. There is no second guessing it either it usually throws shoots 4-6" per shot.

I also own three NF scopes on my heavy long range competition rifles, great scopes but not for this rifle. IMOP even the compact ones are a bit heavy for a pure mountain rifle.

Lefty C

I'd rather have the extra 6-7 oz of dependability than 13 oz's of possible failure!
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
I have Bushnells on everything from a 223 to my 458 WM not one ounce of problem, same with the 2 Vortex Vipers I have on a 257 Bee and 325 WSM. I never had much luck with Leupolds and wouldn't have one on a rifle. Sure it was probably just bad luck but twice with 2 different scopes on 2 different rifles was enough for me. Just my 2 cents
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
I have Bushnells, several 4200's and a 6500. Good scopes.

Their ER's seem shorter than Leupolds and I'm not sure I'd want one on a hard kicker. My 4200's are on .223, .204, 22-250 and .220S. The 6500 is on a .240.

DF
Posted By: 300MAG Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Nightforce!!
Posted By: verhoositz Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/22/15
Ya'll don't giggle...but I traded into a used Wby MK V 300Wby 1st Gen SS/FiberClass that weighed about 7lbs bare nekkid umm 15+ years ago. I got rid of it finally when I saw that the stock around the receiver was bowing on recoil, and spraying bullets vertically,but holding a 1/2+ wide group side to side....up to 3-4"s tall. I had run out of extra money and traded a used garden tiller for a New Swift 4x12x40 AO Premier Grade and put mebbe 100+ rounds out of the Wby, wearing the Swift before I gave up & swapped it for a M70 Classic Boss 338WMg & took some boot too. I hope that guy that smirked at me enjoyed that Wby as much as I had, LOL

Picked up a Savage 300Wmg ss/syn and shot it for 3-4 years with the Swift on top & getting sub MOA with ease, then traded into a Browning ABolt SS/syn 300Wmg (from the 338 M70) and got bored with it not getting more than 7/8" MOA's with fighting the trigger fixes with the Swift on top, traded the Browning on a M70 Classic SS/syn 300WMg where the Swift lived for mebbe 5 years & averaging MOA to less with 3 different bullet wieghts and brands...and sold the Swift earlier this year for $75...with mebbe 1000+ rounds of 300 Magnums shot under it.

The old white lettering Swift was still solid, moved the crosshairs as it was supposed to, and still held Zero with no fooling around to make it work & no dimmer than it always was.

But my eyes are getting dimmer at past 70 and it was time to upgrade some glass & I picked up a 2-10x50 Minox ZA5 HD to go on a T3 260, Vortex 4x16 Dback HP to go on a T3 270 & another Burris FF II in a 4.5x14PA to replace a FF II 3x9x40 to go on a M70 300Whizzum( I've had 5 or 6 of 'em and NEVER had a lick of concern or a problem so far) ...BUT Ya'll are making me wonder if I made a mistake selling the Swift, as it was always a better performing product than any rifle it lived on.

I don't shoot a 300 Wby or WMg anmymore, but am starting on settling a Cherry late run NH 300Whizzum Fwt so we'll see what happens there. Whatever scope brand out of those 3 Brands I am the most satisfied with will get all my business in the next year or so.

Wife wants me to sell 'em all and buy ONE $3K+ GUN since I don't hunt near as much as I used to...Not gonna happen...but the price point $$ might happen if I can get into LR Precision Steel & 'yotes n'hogs without her knowing it...and we'll start this odyssey again.
Ron
Posted By: handwerk Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
interesting reading, I've had my swaro z3 3-10x42 on my 7 3/4 lbs. 300 H&H for perhaps 5 years now, I suppose 350-400 rounds without issue yet, I guess any scope can go south. But I will admit once I got my 300 H&H load work done I've not fiddled with adjustments much.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
The shv and compact nightforce models are like 4 oz heavier. Leupolds break even on low recoil guns
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by handwerk
interesting reading, I've had my swaro z3 3-10x42 on my 7 3/4 lbs. 300 H&H for perhaps 5 years now, I suppose 350-400 rounds without issue yet, I guess any scope can go south. But I will admit once I got my 300 H&H load work done I've not fiddled with adjustments much.

Wondering if that 300 H&H's kinder and more gently recoil makes the difference. I absolutely hate shooting 300 win mags but no issues with a 300 wby 338 win.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
I have to wonder if there is something about your setup that's stressing the scope more than usual. I would definitely call Leupold CS and discuss your problem, rather than just send it back again. Possibly that scope has a problem that doesn't show up under normal repair procedures. They might well just replace it rather than spend a lot of time diagnosing it.

Good luck.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Boy oh boy it gets frustrating with .300 mags eating scopes. Was just shooting my Tikka .300 winny. This rifle is a consistant shooter. Usually puts 5 into.7" to 1" with hunting loads. (180 BT or TTSX with either of the 4831's)

Shooting at 200 yards which is my zero. 2 hit right on zero couldn't see the third and thought went into another hole. Fired another and noticed a hole low left about a foot low. One more shot was low and left into the dirt.

Checked all the mounts, action screws. All good. I guess this one is going to make the trip to Leupold again. It is a VX 3, 3.5X10 CDS. It has lasted about 75 rounds.

Lefty C
I have the same gun , and can understand why some scopes may not stay on them long. It's not that the gun kicks so excessively. But the recoil comes at you Fast! I think recoil velocity is the real culprit. I have a 6x weaver on mine and no issues thus far.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
I must be lucky. Leupold scopes on everything ranging from 416 Rigby, 340 & 300 Weatherbys for over 20 years and never an issue..
Posted By: Huntz Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Do you shoot off a lead sled????
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Huntz,

No lead sled. I have about 20 Leupolds so this is not about slamming Leupold just problems with this one. I have Leupolds on some ultra light arms rifles and they have held up on those.
One rifle, a .300 WSM ate a Swarovoski AV in 40-50 rounds. I replaced it with a 2.5X8 Leupold and it lasted for several hundred until I eventually sold it.

So I am guessing this particular scope may just have a problem that Leupold may figure out on this go around.

I may spring for a NF or something else?

Lefty
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15

Still trying to break my 1st Loopy. Yes, I shoot with a Lead Sled a lot. Surpised someone got a 6x42 to go TU. I have an M8 and just bought an FX-3 6x42. I'll keep tryin' . . . .
Posted By: 1minute Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Leupold, Redfield, Weaver, and Bushnell and never sent a scope back. I've had mounting systems shear off, but the scopes have held up.
Posted By: mathman Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
I've handled a NULA in 300 Weatherby. That ought to be a scope testing platform. grin
Posted By: gemby58 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Whiebread

Lefty C

I'd rather have the extra 6-7 oz of dependability than 13 oz's of possible failure!

+1 That sums it up. I would rather lug around another pound around on my rifle and be sure it hits where I want it to, that's why I use Nightforce. You can save all the weight you want, but if it don't hold zero or tracks well or even fails and its off 4" at 100 yards, take that out to 300 yards that's minute of barn door.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by mathman
I've handled a NULA in 300 Weatherby. That ought to be a scope testing platform. grin

+1

And, a shoulder, headache testing machine... wink

DF
Originally Posted by Huntz
Do you shoot off a lead sled????

Lead sleds will tear the best of the best scopes apart with heavy recoiling rifles. I built a 338-416 Rigby for a buddy of mine, and he wanted a 14 pound or less gun. Well he mounted a Leupold 6.5X20 LRT on it took it to the range. He didn't have a muzzle break on it which I advised against and he had to use his lead sled with 2 bag of shot with I also told him was bad idea. Well first shot out of the rifle he wore the Leupold in the middle of his for head, I took 16 stiches to repair his head. Sheared the scope right off the gun. Now he wont use a lead sled and he loves his muzzle break. Lead sleds are bad news for scopes, mounts and even the stocks.
I've seen more than one stock damaged at the wrist when shot on lead sleds.

I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation of how lead sleds damage scopes. The "physics" I've come across in such conversations, e.g. "the recoil has to go somewhere," hasn't cut the mustard.

Please note I'm not saying anything about an observed increased frequency of scope failure correlating with lead sled use.

I haven't seen a satisfactory explanation of how lead sleds damage scopes. The "physics" I've come across in such conversations, e.g. "the recoil has to go somewhere," hasn't cut the mustard.

Please note I'm not saying anything about an observed increased frequency of scope failure correlating with lead sled use.

If it will break the stock what do you think it will do to the scope.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
PM Mule Deer and run the problem by him. He may figure out the problem PDQ. He's busted some scopes.
I wont even let a lead sled on my range, not after I seen what can happen. You can bring it, but it wont leave your car, if it does your and your lead sled can leave my property.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Originally Posted by gemby58
I wont even let a lead sled on my range, not after I seen what can happen. You can bring it, but it wont leave your car, if it does your and your lead sled can leave my property.

Not trying to be a smart allack; but, why gemby? Is there some danger to others around? I've never heard of any such thing; but, I guess there's always a first.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
I've never had a scope go out on me and this includes 300 WM's and all my scopes have been Leupolds. I used to use Buehler mounts and rings and now use DNZ. My point being that maybe how the scope is mounted might have something with it going bad. I also use a lead sled as I now have to shoot left hand rifles after losing the vision in my right eye and have experienced no problems using it. I might add, after 50 years of Gunsmithing I've never had a bad experience with a Leupold.

Your comment is not an explanation of how a scope gets damaged..

It's straightforward to explain how a stock is damaged.
Posted By: Fotis Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
3x9 SWFA Super Sniper~
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
Best Scope tester I ever seen was a 7 lb. 20" barreled .378 wm . I did not shoot it or would I , they are Ignorant in a regular weight gun. Fast and heavy recoil combined in a light tidy package.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Not trying to be a smart allack; but, why gemby? Is there some danger to others around? I've never heard of any such thing; but, I guess there's always a first.

Because there are people out there that if they get hurt on your property they turn around and sue you. I was sued once for some dick weed that fell out of his tree stand because he fell asleep. He almost hung him self with his safety strap, he hung the with the strap around his underarm for two days. The one shooter that almost knocked himself after using a lead sled sold that rifle. BTW I mounted a Nightforce NXS on the 338-416 that he sold me cheap. Till this day the scope haven't came off the gun because I shoot it off my shoulder and not a lead sled. I can say for sure if I would shoot it with a lead sled the scope would be coming off the rifle.

Your comment is not an explanation of how a scope gets damaged..

It's straightforward to explain how a stock is damaged.

Why do scopes get damage when fired off a springer air gun?
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15

Because there are people out there that if they get hurt on your property they turn around and sue you.

In all seriousness, as true as that statement may be, how have people been hurting themselves with lead sleds? This question isn't just directed at gemby58. If there is such harm coming from the use of lead sleds I would like to know what type of harm it is and how to prevent it. Especially if people are afraid of being sued for allowing other people to use them on one's own property.
Posted By: Fotis Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15
My 378's have killed 3 Leupies 2 of which were Mark 4's
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/23/15

Everything seems hinged on speed, acceleration, deceleration forces. The Lead Sled stops recoil in a MUCH sorter space than ones shoulder. That greatly increases deceleration.

Even airguns with their spring action can damage scopes. Something about the way the spring jerks the scope around.

I got a Lead Sled years back, but haven't used it in the past 5 yrs. or so. If anyone needs one, let me know... laugh

DF

Because there are people out there that if they get hurt on your property they turn around and sue you.

In all seriousness, as true as that statement may be, how have people been hurting themselves with lead sleds? This question isn't just directed at gemby58. If there is such harm coming from the use of lead sleds I would like to know what type of harm it is and how to prevent it. Especially if people are afraid of being sued for allowing other people to use them on one's own property.

I'm not afraid to get sued, been there done that. I'm telling them if they want to use my range then they won't use them. They don't like my rules they can go to a public range or gun club. Good luck for the to find a public range or gun club where thy can shoot out to 1500 yards off concrete benchs with a roof over it
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/24/15
Well this has turned into the type of dance one has with the self satisfying philosopher from Alaska. I'm guessing you're not going to tell me what type of harm to people comes from these things other than possibly damaging their own property. I am a firm believer in private property rights and you can even have a "nobody comes on my range without a pink hat rule" for all I care. Heck, I will support you in both. I was just asking, what I thought was, a simple question. I already know, from earlier on in the thread, that you won't allow them on your range. Sorry to have bothered you with my simple inquiry.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/24/15

I'm not sure if I ever said the lead sled hurts anyone except for this one guy that almost ate his scope. However I did say that it plays hell on the scopes, mounts and stocks
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/24/15
It's entirely possible I made an incorrect assumption then, my bad. So it is your position that you won't let your "friends" use theirs on your range because you just don't like them and won't use them so you feel they shouldn't also. Is that correct? Sorry if I made a false assumption about your precluding them because somehow they could harm someone. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't allow someone else to use the equipment they see fit.

And, I hope if you'll look back between our posts you can see how I was lead to that false assumption. Instead of answering my question directly you did the round about explanation of people suing you because of their own stupid acts, etc., etc.
Posted By: Huntz Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/24/15
I have my own private range in my back yard.I have seen heavy caliber rifles with big scopes on them Shear Mounts,break reticles,crack stocks.When you have 50 lbs of momentum and you dead stop it,something will eventually give.What happens when you are in a car and dead stop it???
Posted By: gemby58 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/24/15

Lefty C

Getting back on track on leftycarbon thread. Buy a Nightforce for your 300 winny and have piece of mind if its going to change POI. I know there costly but what good is a scope if you have to send it back to be fixed every 75 rounds.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/24/15
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I shoot Leupolds on some heavy kickers. Had a VXII go south several years ago, but it's held up since being returned.

I would tell Leupold that you have lost confidence in this scope and would like a new replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a brand new scope.

I have never had a repaired Leupold go the distance for me. One of the main reasons I don't use them on but one rifle.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/24/15
FWIW I mounted older conquest 3.5X10 and put 5 into 3/4" & then used the Mill dots to shoot out to 500. Back to 100 and still zero'd. So we know it wasn't the rifle.

Leupie is making the trip west right now.

Lefty C
Posted By: SamOlson Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/25/15
I got about 1k rounds with a 300 WSM and a 3.5-10x44 Conquest before it went tips up. Another few hundred since and it is fine.

I have about 500 rounds on another 300 WSM(7.5lb scoped) using a 6x42 Leupold, zero issues. Had a 2.5-8x36 on it for 400-500 rounds before that and didn't have any trouble with it either.

FWIW, non-turret scopes and obviously not 300 Uber mags.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/25/15
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
With concern about a scope giving up, one could always have a couple, mounted in QD rings and pre sighted. If one bites the dust, mount the other.

DF

Amazing how far people will go to avoid just buying a scope that works....
Posted By: hunting1 Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/25/15
I have a Vari X-III Tactical on my 300WM with 200gr H1000 full loads and no issues. No saying it wont eventually but with the 200-rounds a year, not worried. If I were using it as a target rifle I might be.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/25/15
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Amazing how far people will go to avoid just buying a scope that works....

laugh

I haven't done that, just a suggestion... cool

Don't guess I shoot enough to trash my Leupolds, they seem to keep on keeping on... grin

DF
Posted By: EdM Re: .300's eating scopes - 03/26/15
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I must be lucky. Leupold scopes on everything ranging from 416 Rigby, 340 & 300 Weatherbys for over 20 years and never an issue..

Same here and some on pretty light for caliber rifles.
© 24hourcampfire