Home
I don't get it with the whole black scope on a stainless rifle thing. It looks stupid. My other gripe is that Swaro and Zeiss don't produce any silver scopes, why the discrimination?

To be honest I only own stainless firearms because of where I live. I have nothing against blued firearms or black scopes, I just dislike the whole black on stainless look.
Some guys like blond super models and some guys like butter faced red heads
Both get the job done just a matter of preference
Good point George. I grew up in central NY, sorry you got stuck over that way
It is what it is,great hunting and fishing,bad taxes and politics
You can probably find an older model Zeiss Conquest in silver, I had one.
Of course Leupold makes silver scopes
Thanks for the info
Surely you have more important things to worry about.

Now if you only have silver rings to attach that black scope

.... that is a problem.
I'm not one to fashion coordinate my rifles, nor worry about it. Of course I stand to pee...
Cerakote the the Rifle to match the scope. Double the weatherproofing and fashion conscious too.
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I don't get it with the whole black scope on a stainless rifle thing. It looks stupid. My other gripe is that Swaro and Zeiss don't produce any silver scopes, why the discrimination?

To be honest I only own stainless firearms because of where I live. I have nothing against blued firearms or black scopes, I just dislike the whole black on stainless look.

Because it's not 1992 anymore
You don't wear blue slacks with a blue blazer....you wear grey smile

Unless you wear a suit...even then we use some contrast in the shirt and tie. Of course not everyone does it that way and some wear a grey suit, grey shirt, grey tie...it's up to them.

Along the same train of thought,might as well get a silver(SS color) stock, too. So the rifle looks like a silver chalice. That SS metal looks odd in a different color stock, no?

But I have to admit never having owned a SS scope.And likely won't. Never gave it much thought. frown
cause they don't shoot well if not color coordinanted..

Me, I could care less about looks. Matters if it shoots great or not...

Why put a SS barrel on a blued action? Cause I like SS barrels better than CM..
3x9 Zeiss Conquest
[Linked Image]

3x9 Leupold

[Linked Image]

Another thing the silver really never matches the barrel color anyhow.
I had a silver scope and rings. Sprayed them with flat-black Krylon to cut down on the shine.
I have a stainless barrel on a blued receiver. One of my favorite rifles. miles
Same here and it wears a black scope.
I like the silver scopes on stainless rifles. But I have to use the black talleys between the the two. The all silver is too much. Not really doing the fashion thing but!!!!!!!!
The only thing silver scopes look good on are the wood stocked stainless rifles. On a stainless rifle with a black plastic stock a black scope and rings looks best.

Really though, what I care about is how the scope performs and most of the scopes I have any interest in using only come in matte black, so matte black it is.
What, we have Queer Eye for the Straight Shooter now?

Tell me not to mix Loden Green with Sage because it will clash, not that the International orange vest will distract in any way. Jeez.
In order to avoid resembling a handsome corndog I do as Bob mentioned and wear different shades of Carhartt.

Army green coat, grey pants, etc..

And it's not just for fashion purposes. Total brown head to toe and you might get shot while fixing fence in the trees.
Last time I went afield with my stainless rifle and black scope, the wild game all laughed at me.
Love stainless rifles, HATE silver scopes.
Sightron is making some scopes with pink accents, which I guess are intended to complement the "muddy girl" pink camo stocks.
I don't mind a black scope on a silver rifle as I think it looks fine that way.

In fact, I don't like silver scopes on any rifle, but that is just my preference.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
In fact, I don't like silver scopes on any rifle, but that is just my preference.

Same here.
Thats why you can pick them up on the cheap wink
Far as I can tell the glass is still clear and the internals the same
WTH was I thinking, letting my buddy bring a black scope in stainless rings on a stainless barreled tikka?

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
I personally think silver scopes look goofy. Personal preference I guess...
As mentioned above, it is often times difficult to match a silver scope to the barrel. Ive no fondness of the silver scope either. To me it draws attn to the scope, much like oversized, aftermarket rims on a car. but then, I lean toward less flash on my rifles.
My preference for synthetic-stocked rifles is a blued receiver, matte stainless barrel, bolt body unblued or if fluted, black in the flute recesses.
All scopes matte black finish.
I don't care for silver scopes. I think this looks just fine.

[Linked Image]
I have, and prefer, matte black scopes on my stainless rifles.
Vast majority of my scopes are black, even on stainless rifles, but I do have a couple of silver scopes on stainless rifles too. One is walnut stocked, the other is factory camo. I think a black scope looks better with a black synthetic stock. The only thing that bugs me, and I guess it's just personal preference, is mismatched rings. I like black rings on a black scope and silver rings on a silver scope.
Black scopes, like black jeans, go with everything. Silver scopes don't.
Black is the new silver!
Just wait 20 years Silver with be back in style
Stainless last longer but it has to be toned down, too much reflection in the sunlight.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Black scopes, like black jeans, go with everything. Silver scopes don't.

Black jeans make sense because blue jeans scare animals. smile
Black scopes make my rifles look smaller, therefore I think they weigh less and thus they carry lighter. If I place a large enough black scope on a standard model 70 it will carry like a Nula.

My custom Hart built 280 Ackley..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice. Mr Hart (and his son) build very nice stuff.
They certainly do. That rifle is an absolute pleasure to shoot and it is extremely accurate too. It is the standard Hart Custom Hunter. McMillan Remington Mountain Rifle stock, 24" Hart Rem Sporter contour 1-9" twist, Williams Robar NP3 plated bottom metal, sako extractor with a fluted bolt. Mounts are Leupold's QR's that I had finished in Black-T by Birdsong and it's wearing an Elite 2.5-10 x 40 scope. This rifle is not in the least bit fussy about anything I handload for it.
I don't think the quarry is going to care. Unless those nice shiny parts flash.
More light.
I prefer matte black scopes and think silver looks like hell. I cringe every time someone posts a picture of one.
The primary reasons for stainless rifle barrels is erosion and corrosion/rust resistance.

The scopes are aluminum or other rust resistant materials and can be coated any color or shade.

If a matte SS rifle barrel is too 'white' then coat it also.

Personally a good shot of glass beading or vapor blasting knocks down the brightness quite well.
Personally a good shot of glass beading or vapor blasting knocks down the brightness quite well.
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy

Because silver scopes are gay...They look gay on any rifle..
Originally Posted by SamOlson
In order to avoid resembling a handsome corndog I do as Bob mentioned and wear different shades of Carhartt.

Army green coat, grey pants, etc..

And it's not just for fashion purposes. Total brown head to toe and you might get shot while fixing fence in the trees.

Now that is funny... laugh
Originally Posted by lochsa
I prefer matte black scopes and think silver looks like hell. I cringe every time someone posts a picture of one.

Yup!

This is where I shop

[Linked Image]
Black is the tradition in the optical field for reducing stray light reflections. I love the look of a traditional gloss black Leupold. But I buy matte black for its low reflectance. Even for a stainless rifle (sold).

[Linked Image]
Cannot stand silver anodized scopes. Don't even like silver colored rings. Liked the comment that it is no longer 1992. smile.
This goat didn't seem to mind much. :-)

[Linked Image]
I think black scopes look great on stainless rifles, much more than silver scopes. Most silvers I've seen don't match the finish on the stainless and just look dumb. Will never get a silver or gloss finish scope. Matte black.
This goat didn't seem to mind much. :-)

[Linked Image]

I think that goat was blinded by the reflection from the scope and fell off a cliff. Looks like it landed on its nose.
I have both stainless scope on stainless rifle and matte black scope on stainless rifle. I actually prefer the matte black

[Linked Image]
Last I checked they still sell spray cans of silver paint at the store. smile
Silver Scopes are akin to....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm not one to fashion coordinate my rifles, nor worry about it. Of course I stand to pee...

LMAO!
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
Silver Scopes are akin to....

[Linked Image]

Also akin to the gold trim package on a Lexus.
Let's see....

The country is 18 trillion in debt, with no end in sight...
The military is conducting special ops training in our cities...
Our president has apparently decided he IS King after all, and that the best way to accomplish World Peace is by letting the worst nut job fanatical government on Earth build a few atom bombs...
Putin is acting like that bad German guy from the last century...
The Middle East is a seething cauldron of little wars involving pretty much everyone..

So... Let's worry about what color scope the other boys like on THEIR rifles!

Makes perfect sense.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Scott, you are on top of your game this morning. I had one numbnuts at the range ask me why you would put a silver scope on a silver rifle. I use both. Does that make me AC/DC?
Originally Posted by pal
Black is the tradition in the optical field for reducing stray light reflections. I love the look of a traditional gloss black Leupold. But I buy matte black for its low reflectance. Even for a stainless rifle (sold).

[Linked Image]

Couldn't care less about the colors but those rings are a hoot
For the same reason there's more than one brand of pickup and color choices and different brands and styles of beer. Not everyone likes the same thing. My reasoning is A: I like flat/matte black scopes on stainless rifles. B: a silver scope only looks ok an stainless rifles so you're stuck with a stainless scope and most silver scopes don't match stainless rifles.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Let's see....

The country is 18 trillion in debt, with no end in sight...
The military is conducting special ops training in our cities...
Our president has apparently decided he IS King after all, and that the best way to accomplish World Peace is by letting the worst nut job fanatical government on Earth build a few atom bombs...
Putin is acting like that bad German guy from the last century...
The Middle East is a seething cauldron of little wars involving pretty much everyone..

So... Let's worry about what color scope the other boys like on THEIR rifles!

Makes perfect sense.

Pappy, I can change my scope color fairly easily... Running the Negra out of the White House, straightening Putin out and pacifying the Arabs is beyond me.

It looks better , hate Silver Colored Scopes
I don`t have one silver scope.In fact I paint a lot of my stainless barrels and actions.I like a nice flat black .
Why put a black scope on a stainless rifle

Maybe because they fit and do the job?
I hate silver scopes. The only thing dumber is a varmint scope on a deer stalking rifle. Screams Field & Stream. It cracks me up to see a silver Leupold with M1's too.
Black scopes and in fact matte whenever possible
Cuz it looks better.... duh
I prefer the contrast of a black scope on a stainless rifle rather than two conflicting shades of stainless vs. shiny aluminum.
[Linked Image]
I think the silver scopes and mounts look pretty lame. Partly because everyone who makes SS rifles, silver scopes and mounts does it in a different shade of gray. Nothing matches. Black mounts and scopes are all the same color.

Then you should never ever have to put a black scope on a stainless gun. Be vigilant because there are people out there who'd trick you or force you to do it.
I think what he really meant to ask was, do these shoes go with this purse?
To each his own, but silver scope with black rings is a no no. either go all silver or all black.
I've had few stainless guns/synthetic stock with black scope/rings. Think its just fine.
They all work the same,deer don't care either

[Linked Image]

Deer must have been half-blind not to see that scope. smile

I think it looks great ... prefer it. I don't see any point in stainless finished scopes. I own ... one, I think. Total.

If you don't like them, don't buy them. Simple.

Tom
I have a stainless stock, wooden scope and mcswirl rifle.
All cats are grey in the dark.
This thread is full blown gay
It's the optics forum. With such gems as "Stumped on scope choice" and "How to remove Butler Creek covers" I'm shocked this one is the one that bothers you.

I am sorry your panties are all in a wad....

po ta to
po tah to
6 of of one, 1/2 dozen another
blondes,brunettes, redheads
ford vs chevy

Get the drift? grin
He must really hate the looks of a silver scope on a blued walnut rifle then.... grin

Maybe something more traditional would make you feel better about this thread....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by pal
Deer must have been half-blind not to see that scope. smile

That was the first thing in that pic to catch my eye.
Husky?
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Some guys like blond super models and some guys like butter faced red heads
Both get the job done just a matter of preference

Butter faced? Bet the girls really like that one!
Yes. An unfired "Swede" 1900.
This is what my Weatherby MK V, 7mm-08 carbine looked like when I brought it home from pawn shop; Tupperware stock,Silver Conquest, Leupold rings.

[Linked Image]

Trasformation; McMillan Sako Classic stock, Diavari Victory 2.5-10x42 in S&K real stainless mounts (yea, I like them)

[Linked Image]

Sign of the times we currently live in.

https://customshop.leupold.com/
Originally Posted by battue
Sign of the times we currently live in.

https://customshop.leupold.com/

I bet Joe has cool tats?
You should see his truck....
I assume he plans to own that scope for the rest of his life?
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Yes. An unfired "Swede" 1900.

Unfired? That's a crime.

That's like having a lovely, "unfired", butter faced redhead around the house.

If you were gonna, like actually shoot that puppy, what cartridges would you buy?
I guess its time for a real mix...

[Linked Image]
No doubt, but that is flaming cool. If that is possible and obviously it is.
Who cares; form follows function.

[Linked Image]

Of course silver is nice cuz they can be less expensive for more glass due to difficulty selling; there is a reason why fewer & fewer companies offer em:

[Linked Image]
Well the doctor is here to tell you...there is a cure to what upsets you.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Higbean
It's the optics forum. With such gems as "Stumped on scope choice" and "How to remove Butler Creek covers" I'm shocked this one is the one that bothers you.

It doesn't bother me, just makes me shake my head and wonder WTF.

It's an 06. This 1900 gets a round or two down the tube each year. An 06 as well.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I don't care for silver scopes. I think this looks just fine.

[Linked Image]

Yeah like the "Oreo" look.
Black is all I have.......
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Also akin to the gold trim package on a Lexus.

Yeah, I'd be embarrassed were I a Lexus owner. Reckon how much those plastic gold colored labels cost them?
Originally Posted by ringworm
[Linked Image]

OK, I'm old and have CRS. Does blue tape:
A: scare the deer?
B: make bullets way over penetrate?
C: have a gay underlying meaning?

note: this has nothing to do with the OP.
IMHO factory silver scopes don't generally look too good. It's something about the shade(s) of silver. I'm a fan of matte black on a SS rifle. SS Rings and bases are good on SS and black rifles.

And.... X2!!!
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy

Pegged Jeans and Silver Scopes!!!!!!
O.K. ; I must admit I have one; picked up a Leupold BR36X-D for my 100yd BR rifle and it happened to be silver; guess it's pretty cool for a bench gun. The other shooters know I am there.
Lava lamp, houndstooth and a silver scope with a gold ring; Bling, Bling. RTR

[Linked Image]
Maybe they are Raiders fans and just showing their team spirit?

Matte black scopes on all my SS rifles.......
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
O.K. ; I must admit I have one; picked up a Leupold BR36X-D for my 100yd BR rifle and it happened to be silver; guess it's pretty cool for a bench gun. The other shooters know I am there.
Lava lamp, houndstooth and a silver scope with a gold ring; Bling, Bling. RTR

[Linked Image]

36xs ought to giter done on a 100 yard BR rifle!!!
Originally Posted by ringworm
[Linked Image]

I was just about to go there ....rattle can it!
Originally Posted by RDFinn

It's an 06. This 1900 gets a round or two down the tube each year. An 06 as well.

[Linked Image]

Now that is purdy!
Thanks. All business too. McMillan Remington Mountain Rifle stock, bedded by them. 24" Hart barrel with all metal finished in Black-T by Birdsong. Buehlar 2 pc scope mounts that secure a B&L Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 40.
I didn't really read this thread. But will add that the only time I can stomach a silver scope is when you have a stainless barreled action/ wooden stocked rifle. That's it.

As evidenced in the SS/synthetic rifle above, the scope is one color of silver, the barreled action another, and the rings yet another. No thanks. That would/should wear a matte black scope with matte black rings IMHO.

But as they say, opinions are like azzholes......
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

As evidenced in the SS/synthetic rifle above, the scope is one color of silver, the barreled action another, and the rings yet another. No thanks. That would/should wear a matte black scope with matte black rings IMHO.

But as they say, opinions are like azzholes......

Agreed.
Under this roof, stainless-finish scopes are allowed on stainless handguns, but never on rifles.

Silver rings and/or bases are permitted if either action or barrel are silver.

As noted above by 2muchgun, a silver scope on a walnut-stocked, stainless rifle looks okay, but it's like waving a hunk of tinfoil around in the woods. I would feel self-concious about it.

BTW, the stainless and walnut M70 Featherweights and various Rugers are very handsome.
My M70 FWT. stainless was the only rifle I ever had that I liked my silver Vari-XIII atop.

As for handguns, I would still go black over silver on anything. SS and aluminum simply don't match. That said, all my handguns are blued or target gray. I don't do "shiny"......
Several folks told me my 300 RUM in stainless between black stock and black lupy with bright nickle rings looked great. Unfortunately, one finally offerd more for it than i could refuse.

Bright barreled action and bright scope never looked great to me and i wouldnt want all that bright stalking through mesquite flats or mountain juniper ridges of Pecos River canyon country of West Texas.

As it was, the barrel often sported a couple 20 or so inch longitudinal strips of black electrical tape.
My late, lamented, Kimber Longmaster, wore nickeled rings and bases with the matte black scope, because that's what the dealer had in stock, and it looked pretty spiffy. The rings had just a touch of that nickel-yellow tint, but it only really showed up close. I also liked the matte, fluted stainless barrel against the nice walnut.

Might have to get another someday, but in .223 this time (yes I know it has a 1-9 twist and can live with it) after I recover from my recent buying binge.
Who the hell color coordinates rifles unless they are gay?
[Linked Image]
Have no problems using black scopes on SS rifles, or silver scopes on black rifles. I use what I have and trust. Never met a deer that preferred to get shot with a color coordinated weapon.
I've always used black rings/bases and black scopes on stainless guns cause none of the the silver rings/bases and silver scopes ever exactly match in shade to the guns. I'd rather have the opposite colors than off shades.
I greatly prefer silver scopes on stainless rifles with wood stocks. But if a stainless rifle has a black plastic stock it may as well have a black scope, A black scope might even look better to me. I recently bought a silver Weaver 2.5-7 scope for a Ruger M77 stainless RSI in .250 savage. It was fitted with a black scope to start with, but it just looked wrong to me.
I'm one who certainly prefers silver scopes on stainless rifles with nice wood stocks... if the finish on both is at least somewhat similar. I think it looks better than matte black, even if it doesn't exactly match the barrel/receiver color/finish.

That said, on stainless synthetic rifles, I like the look of a black matte scope best. This, unless the silver scope finish exactly matches that of the rifle... which seldom ever happens.

BTW, I don't see why folks think it's odd to try make a rifle/scope combo look as pleasing to the eye as possible. Perhaps being a cameraman has skewed my point of view somewhat....?
My brother-in-law shot a hog using a wood stocked rifle with stainless receiver and barrel topped with a black matte scope and mounts. Right before expiring the hog looked at the rifle and then said to me: "He is such a [bleep].
I guess the obvious reason is that I had several spare scopes that were black!
© 24hourcampfire