Home
Posted By: ringworm Leupold is on the ball - 04/17/15
Ordered a CDS dial for the VX2. Placed the order April 9th and it arrived today.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/18/15
Shot the new scope today. Steyr tactical carbine was balls on!
.3 group at 100 with AMAX @ 2580.
NOW to get some air and work this CDS.

Guy beside me was running a 3.5-10x40 vxiii and said the vx2 was clearer and sharper than his scope...I didn't disagree.
He walked off muttering when I told him I was 250 into it with the CDS.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/18/15
VX-2 is great, I was actually surprised at the glass quality when I mounted one on a .300 WM for a good bud.

Earlier today, I heard MidwayUSA has the VX-2 3-9x40 CDS on sale for $261, free shipping. I haven't checked it out for myself, got the word from another hunting bud. If so, that's a screaming goood deal.

DF
And Cabela's still has them for $249.99. With their $20 off coupons, it was too hard to pass up.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/18/15
I don't pay tax when I buy from midway either.
Fk!
I'm all leupolded up!
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
And Cabela's still has them for $249.99. With their $20 off coupons, it was too hard to pass up.

That's the CDS version?

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That's the CDS version?

DF

Si.
Lucky me, I don't have to worry about that sales tax stuff regardless who I buy from online. At least for now.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/18/15
Put one on my .243. They said it would be 4-6 weeks to do the dial, they had it back to me in 4 days!

Works like a charm too. grin
Lucky me, I don't have to worry about that sales tax stuff regardless who I buy from online. At least for now.

Enjoy while you can. I'm sure it's headed your way...

DF
Posted By: mtmuley Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/18/15
Dang good deal. I really like the VX-2 scopes. Spose we'll see the windplex in VX-2s? mtmuley
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Dang good deal. I really like the VX-2 scopes. Spose we'll see the windplex in VX-2s? mtmuley

Already a done deal and why these are being blown out. Standard plex is no longer available for 2015 production.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/18/15
LOL - like the WIDE Duplex Fixed 6x matte - Leupold had a good thing with a plain duplex........and stopped mfg certain models. I digress.

I do not want a windplex personally........so will not be buying any.
Agreed on both accounts.
Originally Posted by 65BR

Yeah, you'd hate to have to KNOW how far to hold for windage. Guessing is much better.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Put one on my .243. They said it would be 4-6 weeks to do the dial, they had it back to me in 4 days!

Works like a charm too. grin

Having used it, does a dial scribed for a particular load have a marked advantage over a generic 1/4 moa dial? I change bullets like some people change underwear, on a weekly basis, so am contemplating going the generic route.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/19/15
I'm predicting a fairly short run of this abortion.
Like most things that appeal to "the consumers" , they are unable to be used to the fullest extent because the manufacture assumes to much.
In this case leupold is assuming that the person using the reticle can ...
A estimate distance with any degree of acucuracy in the field
B estimate wind speed with any degree of accuracy in the field
And
C do both on the amount of time required to construct a profile of angle, speed, and distance to enable any solid hit at a distance you'd need to account for wind.
Its a 3 position sunroof.
The scopes are markets as hunting scopes.
Most hunting, the vast majority, done in this country is deer hunting.
The vast majority of deer are killed at below 200 yards and, possibly, better than 75% killed below 100 yards.
But I applause the effort to build a quality , robust product with a useless feature.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe

Yeah, you'd hate to have to KNOW how far to hold for windage. Guessing is much better.

SmartAPE - or grasshopper - welcome to the fire. I do just fine thank you.
Do you carry a wind meter?

If you know ANYTHING about business and sales, a Solution addresses a customers NEEDS. IT IS A BENEFIT, only if it pertains to a customers NEEDS.

I have NO Need, therefore no want, or desire to have a windplex reticle. I can't wait to buy some VX-2's on close out in the future at fire sale prices. They will of course have to be really cheap to do a proper retrofit for a different reticle.

IF the masses truly NEED a windplex, why did it take so long to come out. And why not discontinue all duplex models, and ONLY mfg. windplex?

I will not be awaiting any logical answer. Leupold is good about always coming up with a new feature to milk wallets. You might bite, or those who Believe they have such a Need.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/19/15
If Leupold is guilty of milking wallets with a new windplex reticle, then every other manufacturer has been guilty as well haven't they? I'd be guessing it has something to do with demand for the product but who knows?
If there's a market for the windplex, fine. But what chaps my ass is the new reticles are replacing the standard duplex, instead of being an additional option.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/19/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/19/15
If there's a market for the windplex, fine. But what chaps my ass is the new reticles are replacing the standard duplex, instead of being an additional option.

It's hard to believe they'd go whole hog with the windplex and quit making the duplex.

Whatever they decide, the market has yet to speak... smile

And the market is the jury... cool

DF

Totally agree with that. Should be an option. About like the ridiculousness of not offering a duplex reticle in the FX3 6x42/matte version. Makes no sense.
Posted By: drover Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/19/15
Thinking that in the near future you will see the Windplex on closeout. I can't imagine the use for that design - especially to replace a duplex.
In addition to - maybe, as a replacement - not going to happen.

drover
It's hard to believe they'd go whole hog with the windplex and quit making the duplex.

To clarify, my earlier comments about the windplex replacing the standard duplex were specific to the VX-2 3-9x40mm CDS, as that's what we were discussing. I doubt they're replacing all the duplexes with windplexes. Here's a link to the aforementioned VX-2, showing only one reticle option, the windplex.
I'm pretty sure that with regards to the 2015 models, you will not be able to buy a VX2 or VX3 CDS model without the windplex......no duplex anymore. Ridiculous.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/19/15
Well, now is the time to pick up a VX-2 3-9x40 CDS with std. Duplex, two or three if they're going to become extinct.

Check with Cabelas and MidwayUSA as noted by other posters. Prices are really right.

DF
JG - no slam on companies making a profit, but I personally see it as a gimmick feature that offers little to no value for many hunters and situations. I agree with the above posts on "addition" vs replacement.

IMHO every model should have a standard duplex option. Regardless of finish, power etc.
"I'm pretty sure that with regards to the 2015 models, you will not be able to buy a VX2 or VX3 CDS model without the windplex......no duplex anymore. Ridiculous.

JG - if true, it defies logic IMO and I will not buy one. Surely not to have to pay for a reticle change so if that's there motive to heck with them.

I have no issue with a ranging reticle like a mil dot having marks on vertical as well, but Windage only? Not for me. I could run a LRD for quick holdover but I have yet to need a windplex or a wind meter. Just me and how I hunt.

I won't buy one either 65. I have no use for hashes, dots, etc.
Posted By: TWR Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/20/15
No need for a solid point of reference for windage yet you have CDS and M1 dials for elevation?

Seems like holding for wind and dialing elevation is a good idea. It works a whole lot better for me than guessing how far to hold left or right.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/20/15
JG - no slam on companies making a profit, but I personally see it as a gimmick feature that offers little to no value for many hunters and situations. I agree with the above posts on "addition" vs replacement.

IMHO every model should have a standard duplex option. Regardless of finish, power etc.

How about (GASP!) a crosshair? I picked up an old Mauser last Summer with a really old Weaver 4x and that crosshair looks pretty good.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/20/15
Well, now is the time to pick up a VX-2 3-9x40 CDS with std. Duplex, two or three if they're going to become extinct.

Check with Cabelas and MidwayUSA as noted by other posters. Prices are really right.

DF

Yea, the $250 VX-2 3-9x40 was too good to pass up so I've got one waiting on me at the post office right now. I'm not too keen on the windplex either, at least on a big game rifle. I'd rather have just a straight duplex & the price was too good to pass on.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/22/15
TWR - on the surface yes. Yet not everyone hunts in windy areas - and distance matters. Drop at a given range is a constant assuming good SD. Yet wind is often variable. No doubt if you have a wind meter and shooting in bad conditions and long ranges a windage turret can be put to use.
Originally Posted by ringworm
I'm predicting a fairly short run of this abortion.
Like most things that appeal to "the consumers" , they are unable to be used to the fullest extent because the manufacture assumes to much.
In this case leupold is assuming that the person using the reticle can ...
A estimate distance with any degree of acucuracy in the field
B estimate wind speed with any degree of accuracy in the field
And
C do both on the amount of time required to construct a profile of angle, speed, and distance to enable any solid hit at a distance you'd need to account for wind.
Its a 3 position sunroof.
The scopes are markets as hunting scopes.
Most hunting, the vast majority, done in this country is deer hunting.
The vast majority of deer are killed at below 200 yards and, possibly, better than 75% killed below 100 yards.
But I applause the effort to build a quality , robust product with a useless feature.
[Linked Image]

well then , your CDS is useless too............
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/23/15
This is one of those posts where it is safe to assume that if Leupolds were to walk on water, somebody would reply "yeah, that's because they can't swim"...
that cracked me up Jorge.
Posted By: TWR Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/28/15
That is funny, shoot out past 400 yards much and you'll know wind is just as important as distance.
Posted By: bcraig Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/28/15
Turn the scope in the rings and use them for elevation !!
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/29/15
I keep my scope rings tighter than that.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Leupold is on the ball - 04/29/15
Factory Standard Reticles

Leupold offers more factory standard reticles than any other scope manufacture. Our line of hunting scopes feature over 20 different popular reticle configurations including Leupold's own line of Ballistics Aiming System reticles. If that weren't enough, most Leupold scopes may be configured with your preferred reticle through the Leupold Custom Shop. For a truly unique optic have our experts create a custom ballistically matched reticle tuned specifically for your rifle, load and shooting conditions.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/

For those that have no use for the wind reticle so be it. It doesn't look like Leupold is eliminating any reticle but offering certain models with selected reticles.

I picked up a 3x9EFR with the wind reticle for shooting gophers and p-dogs with my new 22 LR. Everyone knows we DON'T have any wind wink If you wait for a calm day here you won't shoot much. Been days when you had to lead a p-dog 18" if shooting a 22 Hornet at 100yds grin Sometimes a point of reference for wind is handy.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Leupold is on the ball - 05/04/15
I have more Leupold scopes than any other brand, and I love them, but..... If I ran the zoo:

1) Long range deer hunter friendly:
Leupold would make a CDS type VX3 3.5x10x40 with side focus and moa reticle with fat lines in second focal plane. The reticule would be 1 moa per fat hash mark at 10X.

2) Internet scope buyer friendly:
Leupold would put every rifle scope they make or have made with every number or feature associated with each scope in a downloadable and user sortable and searchable spreadsheet. No more glossy downloadable brochures without enough resolution to read the numbers. No more playing peek-a-boo with different lines of scopes.
© 24hourcampfire