Home
Posted By: 257ROBT Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
Looking at a 3-9x40. Opinions on a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 or Leupy VXI 3-9x40. Dale
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
Easy.

Leupold.

DF
Posted By: tjk Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
I have used both Nikon and Leupold scopes. Had a Prostaff 2-7 on a BLR and had no issues with it performance-wise. Currently have Nikons on 2 rifles (Monarchs) and Leupolds on 3 (M8; VariX III. and Vari X 3). Honestly feel that for my purposes the glass is pretty much a toss up. I kind of like the Nikon reticle better by a slim margin. I much prefer that I can use Butler Creek caps on the Leupolds, whereas the Nikons pretty much are relegated to rubber band type scope covers, as any twist on the eye piece can affect focus. Both are good optics; what you decide on is up to you.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Easy.

Leupold.

DF

Exactamundo. No contest.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
In my opinion, customer service from Leupold is light-years ahead of Nikon - which almost certainly will, sooner or later, be very important to you.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
Not even a remotely fair comparison. The VX-1 is far and away a better scope. I have some of each and will be ridding myself of all the Nikons as funds permit.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by czech1022
In my opinion, customer service from Leupold is light-years ahead of Nikon - which almost certainly will, sooner or later, be very important to you.

I agree. Sooner or later (it is inevitable), you will be using Leupold customer service. Just a proven... That's why I would pick Nikon..
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree. Sooner or later (it is inevitable), you will be using Leupold customer service. Just a proven... That's why I would pick Nikon..

Certainly, when the Nikon goes TU, just toss it in the trash because their CS will be no help.
Posted By: efw Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/22/15
Easy.

Leupold.

DF

Yep.

Posted By: doubletap Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by 257ROBT
Looking at a 3-9x40. Opinions on a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 or Leupy VXI 3-9x40. Dale

Splurge. Get a VX2 3-9x40. The $100 dollar difference is worth it.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
Think about this before you buy:
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Nikon camera division, which I understand to be 90% of the company, is not pro hunting and will not allow their cameras sold along side their hunting products which means we cannot carry them.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15

I agree. If the $100 simply isn't in the budget the VX-1 is a very good scope. The VX-2 is as much scope as anyone actually needs.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
This isnt even close. Leupold by far. Prostaff is a very low end scope and nikons cs sucks. VX1 glass is far superior.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by JMR40

I agree. If the $100 simply isn't in the budget the VX-1 is a very good scope. The VX-2 is as much scope as anyone actually needs.
Agree with this if you can swing it.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
I guess I'm in the minority regarding Nikon reliability. I have several with one dating back to the early 90's and have never had a problem with any of them. I've had exactly 1 Leupold and it would fail to hold zero on occasion. This was with a 1.75-6x36 mounted on a light kicking rifle.

For clarity, you've got to go pretty high up the Nikon line to get a comparable view, though.
Posted By: efw Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by JMR40

+1
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
I would skip the VX-1 or Prostaff. The option for me would likely be to spend less and get a Burris Fullfield which I think offers more than either or save a bit more and get a VX2 as other suggested.
Posted By: bman940 Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
Bottom line, look down the tube, check out the features and see which one you like the best. Even though I do freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon I am not going to tell you which one to choose. It's going on your rifle and you have to pick the one that works the best for you and your requirement's. I will tell you Nikon has a PROMO going on right now that includes the PROSTAFF 3-9 and 4-12 BDC scopes.
As for Nikon CS or Nikon warranty, watch the below 30 sec. video on Nikon's No Fault Warranty. 6 years of doing this job I have never had 1 scope go belly up or fail to hold zero during numerous event's and probably over 500,000 rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IweRfw4vMEY

Posted By: JGRaider Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/23/15
Lot's of people know on the forum that I really like my VX3's w/CDS as hunting scopes. If you will remember I posted a month or two ago that I acquired a Monarch 3 w/XTR. I only have about 100 rounds with it so far on a 7-08, but it has been very reliable so far, and I can't tell much difference optically between it and and a 3.5-10x40 VX3. It has tracked reliably out to 500, back to 100, and in between. So far, so good, and time will tell.
Posted By: cdb Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/24/15
I agree that the Burris Fullfield II is better than a Prostaff and a VX-1.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Nikon or Leupy - 05/24/15
Easy.

Leupold.

DF

ABSOLUTELY
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/06/15

What he said!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/06/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
Easy.

Leupold.

DF

Exactamundo. No contest.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/06/15
Natchez sells the Nikon 3-9x40 with a Nikoplex (Duplex) reticle for $160 amd the Leupold VX1 3-9x40 with a duplex reticle for $199.99. I would pay the $40 difference and get the Leupold. Always.

I know that a lot of people disagree with my philosophy of amortizing scope costs over a twenty year life span, but it is a philosophy that works for me. If you amortize the $40 difference over 20 year, the additional cost is $2 per year, $0.17 per month, less than $0.05 per week.

I realize that a quality rifle scope will last more than twenty years, but the technology is changing such that a scope sold in 2015 is likely to have superior optics when compared to the same make/model scope from 1995, like comparing the 1995 Vari-X IIc optics to the 2015 VX1 or VX2 optics for the 3-9x40.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/06/15
Leupold for the win
Posted By: 35 Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/06/15
Why so many refurb Nikons????

http://www.natchezss.com/optics/rif...ndition=19461&order=position&p=1
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/06/15
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by ingwe
Easy.

Leupold.

DF

Exactamundo. No contest.

^^^This^^^

Yep.

It's not even close.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/07/15
I have sold all my Nikon Monarchs. Not because it's not good glass but because Nikon Corp. is very anti-hunting and treats the sports optics division like a stepchild.
I have no interest in doing any more business with them.
Posted By: JPro Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/07/15
I've had a few Pro-Staffs and Buckmasters. Never had a mechanical issue, but for my money, I do prefer either the Redfield Revolution or Leupold VX 1/2. I buy a lot of lightly used scopes in that $125-$250 range, and most wind up being made in Oregon.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/07/15
Originally Posted by JPro
I've had a few Pro-Staffs and Buckmasters. Never had a mechanical issue, but for my money, I do prefer either the Redfield Revolution or Leupold VX 1/2. I buy a lot of lightly used scopes in that $125-$250 range, and most wind up being made in Oregon.

I whole heartedly agree. I find less tunneling and better image resolution. The Made in the USA of the Leupold certainly helps, too.
Posted By: Dre Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/09/15
I really like my Nikon scopes and binoculars. the costumer service comes through, it just takes longer which I don't like vs Leopold costumer service. Leupold/Redfield stuff is in and out vs month at nikon. HonestIy I would skip the redfields. Just save up little and get a Monarch or VX2 and get much better glass.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/09/15
Easy.

Leupold.

DF

Yep. Can't believe this was even a question.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Nikon or Leupy - 06/09/15
Leupolds eye relief is better then Nikons by far
© 24hourcampfire