Home
Posted By: Aviator Leupold VX R ? - 05/24/15
What is everyone's opinion on these scopes, I have been thinking about one for my AR maybe the 3X9-40 CDS ?
Posted By: NJelksmacker Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/24/15
I have a 3x9 and a 4x12, I like them a lot, good clear
glass.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/24/15
3-9x40 mm like it a lot.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
3-9x40 mm like it a lot.

+1 ..if i had a gripe i thought the anodized finish was too soft. It worked great when i used it on a very lowlight deer.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
How fine is the duplex reticle ? Is the dot bigger than the reticle ?
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
If I recall it was the same size as the reticle. I just visited the websight and that is how thy show it too. THe #4 firedot is a superb hunting reticle.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
The Duplex is excellent and with the Firedot, I don't think one needs the #4 German.

DF
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
I have 3.
A bit heavy for my taste on an AR.
great scopes though. Very pleased.
If you don't mind 20+ 0z Additional heft. While the weight isn't as significant on an 8pound bolt gun, it doesn't go unnoticed atop a 5.5# carbine.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The Duplex is excellent and with the Firedot, I don't think one needs the #4 German.

DF

Absolutely agree
Originally Posted by ringworm
I have 3.
A bit heavy for my taste on an AR.
great scopes though. Very pleased.
If you don't mind 20+ 0z Additional heft. While the weight isn't as significant on an 8pound bolt gun, it doesn't go unnoticed atop a 5.5# carbine.

Which VXR weights 20+ ounces?
Posted By: RevMike Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15

DF

Heresy! I put the German 4 Firedot on my 7x57. There was simply no other option...it would have been like putting Dacron sails on Old Ironsides! shocked
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
I was guessing...to be exact it's 16.5.
Mine wear front and back aluminas so probably 18 oz total.
My apologies.
My comment still stands.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
Hmmm? My scale says 14 5/8 oz. nekkid.
Originally Posted by RevMike

DF

Heresy! I put the German 4 Firedot on my 7x57. There was simply no other option...it would have been like putting Dacron sails on Old Ironsides! shocked

Rev,

There are #4's and then there are #4's.

My Z5 3.5-18x44 BT has a #4 retro-fitted because the original duplex was impossibly fine for hunting. This #4 is better but the inner wires are still pretty fine.

The VX-6 1-6 #4 reticle is pretty heavy, in fact too heavy for precise shooting at 300 yds. I put a 3-9x40 Conquest on this gun, an AHR CZ 9.3x62, just to see what it will do at 400 yds. Now, both scopes have QD rings, so the gun be used either way.

This VX-6 1-6 is illuminated. But, an illuminated or Firedot Duplex will show up under the darkest conditions, even outperforming a #4. So, if illuminated, why the #4? I wish my 1-6 illuminated was a Duplex, not a #4, but I couldn't use the Swaro Z5 without going from duplex to a #4

IMO,

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
Good info DF. The firedot duplex is very nice.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Good info DF. The firedot duplex is very nice.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Yep.

They got that one right, as they did with the VX-6 Duplex.

DF
Posted By: cdb Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
I like the Firedot #4 on my 2-7.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/25/15
Yeah, well that's all well and good, but put anything other than a German 4 on a 7x57 and there'll be some serious questions to be answered. Just saying...
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/26/15
I have the 1-6 VX-6, while not the VX-R I suspect some similarities. The reticle on this 1-6 is thick, covering at least 1 MOA, it is a good hunting reticle but not so good on targets. The firedot is good as well. Mine is brand new and it dials "OK" as well.

my friend has a 1.5-4 VXR, it is not a bad scope shooting with it, its a tad less clear/resolution with more edge distortion.

I have wasted a lot of money on variable scopes, (thought not as much as others) chasing optical clarity, and low light capability. In the end I have broken them all at least once smile. I had given up on Leupold until I tried the new VX-6.

Convinced at this time that fixed power, NF, or maybe SWFA models provide more of what I am interested in at this phase in my shooting life. Look at the SWFA 3-9 for your AR.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/26/15
Great info !
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/26/15
I use the cornering method when shooting paper.
[bleep] this with the 2-7x33 ballistic firedot.
Hunting is does make a difference in hitting running game.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/28/15
Originally Posted by Aviator
What is everyone's opinion on these scopes, I have been thinking about one for my AR maybe the 3X9-40 CDS ?

Those are great scopes, not too unlike the VX-6, except VX-6 glass is better. VX-R glass is very good, though. I'm a CDS fan, for sure.

I don't have a VX-R, but a buddy at our hunting camp does, and he really likes it. I'd say the glass is in the VX-2 to VX-3 class, which is very good. The new VX-2 has much better glass than the older VX-II's. To my eye, VX-2 and VX-3 glass is pretty close, which may make the VX-2 the better buy.

You won't be sorry with a VX-R, IMO.

DF
Posted By: Aviator Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/29/15
Yeah I ordered one gonna give it a try, After using a VX6 for a couple of years I am spoiled and it is hard to try anything else...but I plan to use the VX R on my AR for some night hunting so I'm sure it will work fine ! Thank's for all the replies !
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/29/15
Yeah, VX-6 will spoil.

I think once you use the VX-R, you won't worry about the difference, as the R is pretty good.

DF
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/31/15
Yeah, VX-6 will spoil.

I think once you use the VX-R, you won't worry about the difference, as the R is pretty good.

DF

I have to say that VXR is just unreal in lowlight. I shot a small Buck in a food plot basically in the dark in SC in 2013. I had a little bit of flare from the firedot inside the scope tube but that might be as a result of my cataracts which thankfully not bad as far as that goes.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Leupold VX R ? - 05/31/15
I hit 2 does last season, the second on a dead run, at dusk , from a hard kicking 375 as fast as I could work the bolt I had the 2x red dot on her and pulled the trigger.
2 down within a couple dozen yards of each other.
Great low light, great running game, great glass.
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire