Home
Posted By: Hookset Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
FX-II 6x36
VX3 2.5-8
VX3 3.5-10
FX3 6x42

Model 700 hunting rifle in .270 Winchester. Which scope and why?
Posted By: NTG Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
VX3 3.5-10. I'd get the B&C reticle and be a happy hunter.

Why? It will cover the most hunting scenarios possible given that we don't know what and where you'll be hunting with it.

Also, there are choices outside of Leupold, but nothing wrong with them either.
Posted By: Royce Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
If there is a bad choice in that assortment, I can't see it. I guess I'd go with the 2.5 to 8, because it's got magnification enough for anything, a good low end, and is light.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
They are all fine... I'd venture to say you knew that already. It depends on the game and how you like to hunt that could make the difference.

Have you ever used a fixed power on a big game hunting rifle?
Posted By: DwnRange Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
I too suggest the Leupy VX3 3.5x10x40mm

The heavy duplex is the better "hunting" scope IMHO, as it has heavy posts, which stand out against cover and in twilight conditions, pointing boldly to the intersection. Centering is a snap and the thin crosshairs obscure little. You can also use the Duplex reticle for range estimating as well. If you bracket a deer, you can read the range on the power selector ring as noted in the included instructions.

As to the 40mm vs the 50mm, you'll save a few bucks and it'll reduce your "height-over-bore" (commonly overlooked when using 50mm obj scopes) when properly mounted in Leupold rings and mounts.

I'd also invest in a Timney trigger (especially if your rifle has the newer crap X-Pro Rem on it).
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
Pick whichever one you can get in the reticle you like best.
Posted By: SKane Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by Royce
If there is a bad choice in that assortment, I can't see it. I guess I'd go with the 2.5 to 8, because it's got magnification enough for anything, a good low end, and is light.

Yep, same here.
But still, there are no bad choices.
Posted By: JPro Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
Originally Posted by NTG

Why? It will cover the most hunting scenarios possible given that we don't know what and where you'll be hunting with it.

Yep. That reticle will work well with the chambering.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
My choice would depend on where you hunt. Since I hunt mainly in the woods, At times in really tight cover, I need a good low end. I do like to use higher power for evaluating loads at the range and for seeing through the trees at moderate ranges. If I hunted the wide ooen spaces, one of the 6Xs would be just fine.

If price ever ceases to be a factor for me, an illuminated duplex VX-6 will end up on something. The 1-6 I looked at was really sweet.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
VX3 3.5-10x40 is what rides on my 270 m700.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
I'm partial to variables. I prefer having a wide field of view when still hunting in thick stuff with the option to crank it up for long shots which are not uncommon in the area I hunt.
If weight was not a consideration, the 3.5-10. If weight is a consideration the 2.5-8 is never a bad choice.
If I were stand hunting the 6x would be an option but I find that much magnification does not work for some of the situations I hunt in although it may suit your needs fine.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
All the scopes will work well. I posit your choice should be influenced by whether you prefer fixed or variable, the type of rings you prefer, the reticle you like, and a gloss or matte finish.

I like fixed scopes.

I dislike Talley Lightweight rings on most rifles and Leupold Dual Dovetails on a Rem 700, but I like Talley Screw Lock and Fixed rings. For my preferred sight picture I need an extended front base when using a Leupold 6x42 and 2.5-8. 3.5-10 and 6x36 perfect sight picture without extended base.

If you want a Boone and Crockett reticle you'll have to pick a variable. Heavy Duplex? 6x42. Long Range Duplex? Either the 6x36 or 6x42.

My choice would be a 6x42 matte finish with Heavy Duplex in Talley Screw Lock rings with an extended front base. Second 6x36 LRD, no extended base. Third 3.5-10 B&C reticle. 2.5-8 eliminated in my mind.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
Hookset: I have a 3.5x10 Leupold on one of my 270's.
I have a 4x12 Leupold on another and my third 270 has a 6.5x20 Leupold variable on it.
I am a firm believer in having PLENTY of scope power available on my 270's.
If you are choosing among scopes you have on hand then I would definitely opt for the 3.5x10 Leupold.
If not I would seek out a Leupold 4x12 with adjustable objective and fine Du-Plex reticle.
What types of game will you be Hunting?
That would help us help you, me thinks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
Have had a Leupold M8 4x with a Duplex reticle on my 270 since 1981, have never wanted or needed anything else....
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
Both my 270's have a 6x36 LR.

Pretty much the sub 420 yard combo.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
All look good to me. If I had to do it over I would put the FX3 6x42 on my 270.
Posted By: Dre Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
I just got a burris c4 with 270 turrets from natchez fro 139. I think the clarity is very good for that price. I have few nikon's and vortex's and I would say it is better than my prostaffs which cost more and same or better than the diamondback. Its not a viper or monarch, but close. for the money its the beez neez
Posted By: specneeds Re: Scope my .270 - 07/28/15
I'd go 2.5-8 since I like to sneak through the thick stuff and reach out across canyons and that works well for both.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Scope my .270 - 07/29/15
2.5-8 on mine.
Posted By: Hookset Re: Scope my .270 - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
All the scopes will work well. I posit your choice should be influenced by whether you prefer fixed or variable, the type of rings you prefer, the reticle you like, and a gloss or matte finish.

I like fixed scopes.

I dislike Talley Lightweight rings on most rifles and Leupold Dual Dovetails on a Rem 700, but I like Talley Screw Lock and Fixed rings. For my preferred sight picture I need an extended front base when using a Leupold 6x42 and 2.5-8. 3.5-10 and 6x36 perfect sight picture without extended base.

If you want a Boone and Crockett reticle you'll have to pick a variable. Heavy Duplex? 6x42. Long Range Duplex? Either the 6x36 or 6x42.

My choice would be a 6x42 matte finish with Heavy Duplex in Talley Screw Lock rings with an extended front base. Second 6x36 LRD, no extended base. Third 3.5-10 B&C reticle. 2.5-8 eliminated in my mind.

Thanks for the good gouge. Why don't you like the Talley lightweights? I have no experience with them but they seem pretty popular around here.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope my .270 - 07/29/15
For years, I was opposed to anything made from AL-U-MINY-UM on any of my rifles, including the scope tubes. Now, of course, you'd be hard pressed to find a steel-tubed scope anywhere but on Ebay. A few years ago, I replaced the steel bridge mount and 4x Leupold on my M70 with a VX-II (I think) 3-9 mounted in the lightweight Talleys. They match the matte scope and matte receiver very well and look fine. I like that they allow you to flip the bases around for flexibility in mounting and also the simplicity.

The best part was that they lined up so well that I could literally have taken the rifle hunting without touching the adjustments. To me that demonstrates quality machining of both rifle and mount. Others might attribute it to a horseshoe located in my nether regions. I think I finally ended up moving the adjustments about an inch.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Scope my .270 - 07/29/15
Originally Posted by NTG

This would be my choice as well. For a long time I'd have suggested the 2.5-8X instead.

Basically, I'd stick a 2.5-8X on a short action or a 3.5-10X on a long action. .270 ... long action, so ... there y' have it.

I have both, both on Kimber Montana rifles, one in .257 Roberts, the other in .280AI. Both with B&C, both in Talley ringmounts.

I catch myself picking up the .280 to look at my .257 targets to spot my bullet holes. Says something.
Posted By: NTG Re: Scope my .270 - 07/29/15
That does say something. I'm still wanting to own the VX3 3.5-10, but it's a bit out of my budget.

I have a x14 that is the only rifle scope I have that adequately reads bullet holes at 100 yards.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Scope my .270 - 07/29/15
I've have a couple of older 2.5-8X36's and like em well enough. But anymore I wouldn't pay the difference to get one over a VX-2 in a 3-9X40. The difference between magnification at either end is negligible. The quality on newer VX-2's is amazing. My new production VX-2's are much better than the 7-8 year old VX-3's in 2.5-8X36.

I'm sure the newer VX-3's are better still, but if I wanted to spend that much I'd be looking at something else.

In fact this scope has me interested.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Instinct8482-Euro8482-Riflescopes/1216808.uts

It is made by Meopta and sold under the Cabelas brand. The 3-9X40 is supposed to be a reincarnation of the popular, but discontinued Zeiss Conquest in that power. If so that is a darn good scope.
Posted By: powdr Re: Scope my .270 - 07/29/15
VX3 3.5-10 FOR SEVERAL REASONS. Better glass, wider range in magnification, excellent low light capability. Reticle is not important to me as long as it's not the wide duplex. powdr
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Scope my .270 - 07/29/15
2.5x-8x

Because you can mount it low over the receiver, because you will have a great field of view at 2.5x and enough magnification for longer shots. It will carry easier, and it isn't top heavy.

Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
I have the 6x42(LRD) on my 270 and really like it.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by Hookset
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

I like fixed scopes.

Thanks for the good gouge. Why don't you like the Talley lightweights? I have no experience with them but they seem pretty popular around here.

I just don't like how they look. Nothing against their performance or Talley. Talley is a great company and I most prefer their Screw Lock rings and signature bases.

And Leupold Dual Dovetails overhang the ejection port opening on a Rem 700, not preferred for me.
Posted By: ghostrider272 Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Have a Swarovski 6x42 on one of mine and a Kahles 2-7 on the other. I see no need to get anything bigger...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by NTG

This would be my choice as well. For a long time I'd have suggested the 2.5-8X instead.

Basically, I'd stick a 2.5-8X on a short action or a 3.5-10X on a long action. .270 ... long action, so ... there y' have it.

I have both, both on Kimber Montana rifles, one in .257 Roberts, the other in .280AI. Both with B&C, both in Talley ringmounts.

I catch myself picking up the .280 to look at my .257 targets to spot my bullet holes. Says something.

Good advice...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
I've only own a few 270's in my lifetime and they've either been 6x36 or 6x42
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
For a .270 any of those scopes will work, as long as you have the Leupold Custom Shop paint it pink.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
And the Poobah smiled......
Posted By: NTG Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Some say it's not uber cool unless it's rainbow stripped...just saying.
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
If you lean towards variable, go to the store and play with them. I went in tryibg to buy a 2.5-8 or 3.5-10, but the VX-2 3-9 was MUCH easier to maintain a sight picture on. The glass is pretty good. I walked in wanting a vx-3, I left with a vx-2.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
NTG,

Would pink and aqua stripes work?
Posted By: Hookset Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Looks like the 3.5-10 gets the most votes in this highly scientific study. The fixed 6x guys seem to recommend a fixed 6x, surprisingly enough. The VX2 to VX3 comparison worked its way into the thread and of course we got several posts about other scopes that weren't even in consideration.
Based on advice from a highly respected gun writer, I'm just going to get a can of pink Krylon and upgrade the Burris FFII 3-9x40 that's already on it.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by Hookset
Looks like the 3.5-10 gets the most votes in this highly scientific study. The fixed 6x guys seem to recommend a fixed 6x, surprisingly enough. The VX2 to VX3 comparison worked its way into the thread and of course we got several posts about other scopes that weren't even in consideration.
Based on advice from a highly respected gun writer, I'm just going to get a can of pink Krylon and upgrade the Burris FFII 3-9x40 that's already on it.

You're screwed now and let the cat out of the bag. Ingwe's favorite scope is the Burris FFII 3-9x40... He'll be pissed if you don't just paint that one pink and keep using it as is... wink
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Sell the M700 as is.

Look at rifles with M70 type three position safeties, CRF, and well attached bolt handles.

Some of my current favorites are Kimber 8400 and 84M, Ruger 77,
custom rifles with mauser actions.

Awhile ago a topic asked what the 'best' factory rifle was and some chose the Brno 21 or 22's made long ago.

I found this one with a half stock and had a three position safety put on. Another model has DS triggers and a full stock with a 20" barrel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Here is one with a full stock on GB if your into that sort of rifle.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Sell the M700 as is.

Look at rifles with M70 type three position safeties, CRF, and well attached bolt handles.

Some of my current favorites are Kimber 8400 and 84M, Ruger 77,
custom rifles with mauser actions.

Awhile ago a topic asked what the 'best' factory rifle was and some chose the Brno 21 or 22's made long ago.

I found this one with a half stock and had a three position safety put on. Another model has DS triggers and a full stock with a 20" barrel.

[Linked Image]
Your eyes must be brown,cause you're so full'a schit. crazy
Posted By: NTG Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
NTG,

Would pink and aqua stripes work?

Ahh, I don't bat for that team...just happen to see them on the rare chance I turn the TV on.

On second thought I saw a gal with aqua hair at Walmart yesterday, so maybe it does work.

Really, I'm just guessing. You better go find an authority on it, Lol.
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: Scope my .270 - 08/01/15
Tasco 3-7x20 is all you will need
© 24hourcampfire