Home
I used to say that it was a Weaver Classic V9 for $130...but now that that is discontinued??? Maybe a VX-1 at $199??? What do you think?
VX-1 3-9x40 Matte, Duplex, for $199 or less.

If you factored in inflation, this scope is significantly less expensive than its great-grandfather, the Vari-X of the 1960s, and much improved optically speaking. One of my older Leupolds is a 3-9x40, #88911, that has traveled back to Oregon once, when some of the internal lens coating began to flake off, but is still a pretty serviceable rifle sight at least 43 years after it was originally sold.
Will throw in for consideration a Burris Fullfield II.
No doubt
Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Can buy New on Ebay for $175.00 shipped or less.
watch on here for people selling the bushnell elites. i have bought both the 3200 and 4200 for less than $200. natchez had the 3200 on closeout a few years ago for $139 for the 2-7x32 and $149 for the 3-9x40 so i bought a couple of each for guns i was upgrading. the 4200 is especially nice.
Save another $50 and get the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with or without the CDS, if you pay attention they are popping up occasionally for that in the gun forum classifieds. I was in one of the big box stores recently and they had them for that price also. The VX-2 is a much better scope than the VX-1.

drover
How is the VX2 a MUCH better scope than the VX1 ?
Save up another $100 and get an original Zeiss Conquest 3-9X on closeout from Euro Optics. Or a 3.5-10 Meopta for $299.00 (free shipping) from CameraLand. Mucho better.
Bob
Originally Posted by kenjs1

^^^^^^^ One of my favorites. I'd also go ballistic plex reticle...
Originally Posted by bcraig
How is the VX2 a MUCH better scope than the VX1 ?

How much better is the VX3 vs the VX2? whistle
Originally Posted by drover
Save another $50 and get the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with or without the CDS, if you pay attention they are popping up occasionally for that in the gun forum classifieds. I was in one of the big box stores recently and they had them for that price also. The VX-2 is a much better scope than the VX-1.

drover

I bought five VX 2 3-9x40 matte/duplex scopes for $1,090 a couple of weeks ago and felt that they were a good buy at $218 per unit.

I was working my way (and Karen's) through college in the mid-1960s. I went to college in the morning and worked in a large gun shop from noon until ten at night (and restocked after).

The pay was $1.00 and hour and I was danged glad to have it. My neighbor was freshly graduated from college and he was making $175 a month.

At the gun shop, we discounted the Leupolds. The 3X9 was @62.99 and the 2X7 was $54.99.

DuPont powder was $2.88 a pound and I had a keg of "4350 Data Powder" (original H-4831) behind the counter that I sold for .49 cents a pound in a brown paper bag.

By any measure, today's Leupold 3X9 is one heck of a value.

Blessings,

Steve

VX1 at $199 is it now. The Weavers were very good at the price when they were around. Why anybody would stop making a 3-9 in the U.S. market is beyond me.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-1-riflescopes/

But Op asked about scopes under $200.00

Vx1 and Vx2 do not compare to VX3

But the VX2 and the VX1 are I think enough.YMMV

I can see well enough to shoot a deer at 30 minutes after sundown EASILY with the VX1 3-9x40 and my eyes arent very good at all.

Not sure but think the VX3 is a one piece tube as well,if that matters

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeHunter
VX1 at $199 is it now. The Weavers were very good at the price when they were around. Why anybody would stop making a 3-9 in the U.S. market is beyond me.

Exactly! 3-9x40s are the most popular scope in the U.S., which is why Leupold sells their's for less than comparable scopes. Because of the volume, they can make them for less, sell them for less, and still meet their profit margin goals. While I generally prefer Leupold 2-7x33s, I'll suck it up and go with a 3-9x40 if the difference in price is significant. $218 seemed like a good price and if I don't find a use, I can always get my $$ out of them.
Me, I'd find a Elite 3-9 for around $200. Much greater chance you won't have to start a thread here telling how great your "customer service" experience was.
And if you catch a auction on Ebay you can often pick up the VX1 for $150.00 or less New,Shipped
$150 would be a great price, since it is less than small dealer wholesale, which runs around $165 (plus shipping) for the 3-9x40 matte duplex style.
Yes it is a great price !
Go to Ebay and check out some of those prices.
Check out a seller doddssportinggoods
I have 3 scopes in front of me I bought used off of the Fire. Burris FF II w/ dots, Leupie VX 2 3-9, and a Leupie VX3 3.5-10. The VX 2 3-9 will not focus to my 62 yr old eyes. The other two are bright and clear. I may have gotten a Leupie VX 2 that needs to be serviced. The Burris is damn good for the money but the eye box is lacking compared to Leupie. I know the Conquest smokes all of these, gave 2 to my buddy for his rifles as a gift. The Burris was about $135 used.
At $199 the Burris FF-II is my hands down choice in this range. If you can actually get a VX-1 for that price then it is about a tie. Most of the VX-1's I'm seeing are $220ish.

And if you catch a auction on Ebay you can often pick up the VX1 for $150.00 or less New,Shipped

If that VX-1 is made 2012 or newer it is a bargain. If it is pre-2012 not so much. There were huge upgrades then. The easiest way to tell is the adjustment knobs. On older scopes they were friciton adjustable. In 2012 the glass was not only upgraded but they went to click adjustments. Be wary buying used or old stock.
If you go to Ebay and do a search you can see for yourself

The one from doddssportinggoods is a 2015 model
Originally Posted by JMR40
At $199 the Burris FF-II is my hands down choice in this range. If you can actually get a VX-1 for that price then it is about a tie. Most of the VX-1's I'm seeing are $220ish.

If that VX-1 is made 2012 or newer it is a bargain. If it is pre-2012 not so much. There were huge upgrades then. The easiest way to tell is the adjustment knobs. On older scopes they were friciton adjustable. In 2012 the glass was not only upgraded but they went to click adjustments. Be wary buying used or old stock.

This.

Not long ago, the local Bass Pro were advertising VX1 3-9X40s for $179. That was the cheapest I had seen them so drove over to get a couple and upon closer inspection they were old stock VX1s with friction adj. and the tan colored dials. Not really a bargain.

John
Originally Posted by JMR40

And at $133.99 (for the FFII 3-9x40), it is almost a "no brainer".... My most tested and tried on every rifle is an older American made FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. I just so happened to install it on yet another rifle yesterday. Getting ready to go and test said rifle and loads here in a bit if the wind dies down...:

[Linked Image]

This scope has tested out 9 different rifles now...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362167417/leupold-vx-1-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm?cm_vc=ProductFinding

$199.99 and free shipping
A leftover Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 for $130 (which used to be Monarch UCC, with the added ballistic reticle)
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
A leftover Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 for $130 (which used to be Monarch UCC, with the added ballistic reticle)

Damn good for the money. As are the Elite 3200 bushnells in the price range the OP specifies....
Just ordered a Weaver V10 2-10x38 for 119,00 $ at Natchez. They seem to be wanting em out.

3-9x38 Weaver V9 already sold out... for 234 $.

I bought a vx-1 a couple years ago and ended up sending it back because optically it SUCKED compared to every other scope I own in that general price range, including Several Weaver Classics, a Bushnell Elite 3200 and a Nikon Pro-staff. I thought maybe I just got a bad one until just recently my brother ordered a new vx-1 and after comparing it side by side with the same scopes as before his absolutely SUCKS too. I came to the inescapable conclusion that internet optics experts on these hunting forums don't know their azz from a hole in the ground or are blind as fugging bats.
Brand loyalty, some people like anything their company puts out
New, sealed box, post 2012 VXI on ebay seems like as good a scope for the money as you'll find. I got one for $163 delivered a couple of months ago.
Originally Posted by Ready
Just ordered a Weaver V10 2-10x38 for 119,00 $ at Natchez. They seem to be wanting em out.

3-9x38 Weaver V9 already sold out... for 234 $.

V10, 2-10x38, is the worst model, post-ElPaso, Weaver scope that I've ever owned.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
V10, 2-10x38, is the worst model, post-ElPaso, Weaver scope that I've ever owned.

How so?

I just got done mounting Ready's, and was wondering if your observations mirror my preliminary findings.

Thanks,

FC
Like looking through a paper towel cardboard tube. The worst Weaver I've ever used was an ElPaso V8 with the external windage/elevation and the funky 3 vertical/horizontal reticle.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

How so?

I just got done mounting Ready's, and was wondering if your observations mirror my preliminary findings.

Thanks,

FC

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Ready
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

How so?

Thanks,

FC

[Linked Image]

Sharing my experience so that others might choose not to waste their $$ on this POS. Lots of better options. LOTS!
Thank you. I appreatiate it.

You're welcome.
I've used a Weaver V10 for nearly 20 years on a 300 Win. The view is different but you get used to it. I bought one of $119 close outs just to have. Use it before you decide. My wife loves hers on her 243, and my brother has put a few miles on one on a 270.
I am wondering if the current V10 is the same as the old one with the narrow field of view and tunnel effect. If it is I will stay away. I was looking for a Weaver 3-9x38 and didn't realized they were discontinued.

I like the Redfield Revolution as much as the VX 1.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I've used a Weaver V10 for nearly 20 years on a 300 Win. The view is different but you get used to it. I bought one of $119 close outs just to have. Use it before you decide. My wife loves hers on her 243, and my brother has put a few miles on one on a 270.
I've had one on a 243 for 16 years and like it fine. As you say, the view is a little different but it's clear, bright, holds zero year to year and the actual field of view is just as wide as the other scopes I own in it's power range. In other words, the so called "tunnel effect" amounts to doodly squat.
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Brand loyalty, some people like anything their company puts out

I'm loyal to what I know works and doesn't leave me stranded.... I've had too many leupolds take a chit on me to trust them... You learn after you get burned a few times... Or at least you should.. wink
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've had one on a 243 for 16 years and like it fine. As you say, the view is a little different but it's clear, bright, holds zero year to year and the actual field of view is just as wide as the other scopes I own in it's power range. In other words, the so called "tunnel effect" amounts to doodly squat.

That's a good summary. Mine has never lost zero, even riding a 300 shooting full power loads.
Redfield (made by Leupold) is the best bargain I have found lately.
I have a pair of 2-7s
Burris FFII is a great scope for under $200
Those of you who think that a $200 VX1 is a good scope that that price point need to look through more optics. They are pathetic. The FF-II is twice the scope at worst. The Weavers and Nikon Prostaffs are better, there are myriad chinese scopes better...
Good lord ,next thing the we will be hearing is that Barskas and Tascos and all the clam shell packaged scopes that Wally World sell are better scopes than a Leupold VX1 !

Funny stuff here !
I've got a nib burris c4 3-9 with the cds type system if sell for $200. It was a package deal through cabelas a few years back and comes with their $65 tactical rings.

Bb
For the guys who keep on quoting $200.00 and more for the VX1
You are Mistaken.
Here are just a few recent completed listings from just one seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEUPOLD-VX-...W-2015-/201411113792?hash=item2ee509b340
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEUPOLD-VX-...W-2015-/171899052958?hash=item2805fb639e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEUPOLD-VX-...W-2015-/161796410697?hash=item25abd14d49
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEUPOLD-VX-...W-2015-/161796152148?hash=item25abcd5b54
Burris FFII.

An added plus is that that IMO, the Burris ballistic plea is the best drop compensating reticle out there (if only talking about the basic ones). I like it much more than the Leopold B&C or LRD and the Buckmasters (those large circles are absolutely horrible) or even Vortex.
I have a couple of Burris FFII and a couple of Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes, and I rate both as excellent value for money.

One of the Burris scopes has the Ballistic Plex reticle and, while I'm not usually a fan of these types of things, it does seem a good one of the type: nice and simple, and not trying to do too much. It is in the 3-9 on my Brno Hornet, and under still conditions it really does make it easy to stretch that accurate little rifle out a bit.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

That's a good summary. Mine has never lost zero, even riding a 300 shooting full power loads.

I find the tunnel vision issue with the V10 to be distracting, so it is a non-starter for me. If you don't mind that aspect of the V10, then it might be a good choice for you. I don't directly own any shares of any business related to the firearms industry, so I don't have any hidden agenda regarding my dislike for the Weaver V10. IOW I'm not trying to sell you anything, for any reason.

I have several recent production V16s and think that they are an excellent scope for a rifle with minimal recoil. I have them installed on 17HM2s, 17HMRs, 204s, 223s, and 22-250s. I also have a few RV7s around, but only one installed, on a CZ 452FS in 22LR. Also have several K2.5 and K3 ElPaso Weavers installed on 30-30 and 35 Remington woods rifles.

All of which reminds me that I need to start selling the superfluous "stuff", as neither of my kids are interested in shooting or hunting and it would be a PITA for them if I was to die and leave them with all that "stuff" to dispose of.
I think (I don't know) that sometimes certain optics just don't work well with certain eyes. I also think (I actually know this because I have seen it) that sometimes people pick up a scope, look through it and make their determination right there in the store without adjusting the scope that it's not a good scope. I think some scopes just make a better marriage with our eyes than others.

A scope is one of those things that has to be used to see if it is really good. Use it in bright daylight. Use it on a cloudy day. Use it 25 minutes before or after sunset. Use it 25 minutes after sunset with the last of the day's light to your back. Unfortunately, until you use one, you really won't know how good it is.

If I were looking for the best $200 scope, I start with a VX-1. Mine (old style) is a good one.
Sightron sii. Should get one for around $200. Better than a VX1 IMO.

In need of a scope for my wifes Ruger American 7mm08. Thinking of Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 plex, also was looking at the Leupold Rifleman for her, any thoughts on the rifleman scopes?

Originally Posted by pymi
In need of a scope for my wifes Ruger American 7mm08. Thinking of Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 plex, also was looking at the Leupold Rifleman for her, any thoughts on the rifleman scopes?

The price is so close to the VX1 and the Redfield Revolution...I think I'd get one of those instead of the Rifleman if I went with a Leupold.
Comparably speaking, The Rifleman is not worth the price, nor close.

After owning/using multiples of most every scope mentioned, I have concluded that the new model VX1 is not only the best scope value today, but maybe one of the best ever. I now own 4 of them.

I have always liked my Weaver Classic 3-9x38s (NOT the 2-10Xs) and they remain a solid value IMO. As do the Redfield Revolutions.

I still own 2 FF2s. Both with LRS. But I'll never buy another, as 3 have failed.

But for myself, it's easy. If I'm in the market for a "cheaper" scope, the VX1 will get the nod every time now. You can't get more for less..........

To me a scope should be a long range proposition...meaning I'm going to keep it a long time. The VX1 may be a good value but nothing beats the VX2 when one considers longevity, value, warranty and brightness/clearness. At $50 more amortized over 20 years it's a whopping $2.50 a year. powdr
How many times has a Redfield Revolution been mentioned?

Note, the Redfield parallax can be re-set by anyone just like the Leupold, have one set to 50 yards and sitting on top of a Benji Marauder.

But 200 would be just as easy.
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
Burris FFII.

An added plus is that that IMO, the Burris ballistic plea is the best drop compensating reticle out there (if only talking about the basic ones). I like it much more than the Leopold B&C or LRD and the Buckmasters (those large circles are absolutely horrible) or even Vortex.

I agree 100%
Thank you for the replies I'm going to take her out to the gunshops and have her look through some different scopes and see what works for her.
Originally Posted by kenjs1

^ big time.

VX1 is a good one also.
Thank you for the replies I'm going to take her out to the gunshops and have her look through some different scopes and see what works for her.

Best way to do it.
Looking through scopes on a rifle is different though, regarding critical and noncritical eye relief. If buying new, I vote Revolution. If used, Vx-II/2 series for $220-250. Used Leups don't scare me.
Burris FFII, that I got a year ago for $149. Put it on my 7600, great scope for the money.
Redfield Revolution that I have on my .308. Another good deal.
What other scopes have a long forgiving eye relief akin to the Leupold or Red Revo ?
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

The price is so close to the VX1 and the Redfield Revolution...I think I'd get one of those instead of the Rifleman if I went with a Leupold.

I have never been able to understand the market niche for the Rifleman series, as the small dealer wholesale price is either equal to or within just a couple of dollars of the VX-I/1s and the VX-I/1 is clearly a superior scope. In fact, the VX-1 3-9x40 matte duplex if often priced lower at wholesale than the comparable Rifleman, sort of like selling a Buick for less than the comparable Chevy.

I have a five Rifleman series scopes, all 2-7x33s, that were purchased for around $125 per unit. One of them has been installed on a DPMS Sportical since 2010 and has worked flawlessly.
Burris FF II gets my vote. Been using one for many years.
I recently picked up a bushnell 4200 3-9x40 for $190 shipped off our boards. Tough to beat imo.
I have few nikons and really like them for the money.
I had couple redfields, didn't care for them. Only have one left.
Entry level vortex, over rated, besides warranty.
Burris is my latest purchase and very impressed. $139 from natchez for 3-9x40 C4 with CDS.
I will be switching to CDS over BDC.
Bought a Burris 2-7 FF II with Ballistic Plex last year for a muzzle loader. Nice scope, should have been perfect for that application - had to take it off and it sits on a shelf. Eye relief is not adequate for something with a fair amount of recoil.
VX-1 3-9x40 Matte, Duplex, for $199 or less.

If you factored in inflation, this scope is significantly less expensive than its great-grandfather, the Vari-X of the 1960s, and much improved optically speaking. One of my older Leupolds is a 3-9x40, #88911, that has traveled back to Oregon once, when some of the internal lens coating began to flake off, but is still a pretty serviceable rifle sight at least 43 years after it was originally sold.

this......
and the sightron s1.....

stay away from fast foucus eyepeices
look for lockring eyepeices
a lot of the fast focus eyepiece models have a shifting reticle image if the eyepiece housing has movement
just look thru it and attempt to wiggle the eyepeice

the sightron has fast focus eyepiece and absoloutly no movement
good solid scope
midsouth shooters supply has some for under 120
Originally Posted by m77

very comparable
lupys lines are better
not as blocky looking as the s1 imo
have got both
aint no issues with either one

I bought a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 last year and I've been very disappointed. Adjustments are mushy as hell and the optics don't do it for me. I much prefer the two Burris FF II 3-9's I have. If I had it to do over again I would have spent the extra $100 and bought the VX-2 or saved $50 and bought another FF II (online sale at the time for $150).
Originally Posted by Petro
I bought a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 last year and I've been very disappointed. Adjustments are mushy as hell and the optics don't do it for me. I much prefer the two Burris FF II 3-9's I have. If I had it to do over again I would have spent the extra $100 and bought the VX-2 or saved $50 and bought another FF II (online sale at the time for $150).

The Leupold 3-9x40 VX-1 has to be the best choice in the
under $200.00 price range. I have tested it against some
others, and it does very well.

Not sure what you have seen, but Burris, never tried one
and won't. What about the Burris do you like ?
Originally Posted by MarcH
Bought a Burris 2-7 FF II with Ballistic Plex last year for a muzzle loader. Nice scope, should have been perfect for that application - had to take it off and it sits on a shelf. Eye relief is not adequate for something with a fair amount of recoil.

I wasn't happy with the Burris FFII 2-7 either, but this thread is about 3-9 scopes. The Burris FFII 3-9x40 scopes with the ballistic plex reticle have been some of the most durable scopes I've owned.
It has to be or you want it to be? I guess I don't understand how it's the best in it's category if you've only tested it against some others and if you're unwilling to try the Burris...

I'm not an optics expert so hear it goes with my best attempts to not bungle the lingo or offend the sensibilities...To my eyes, the Burris is much clearer, does better in low light, does better into the setting or rising sun, and the adjustments aren't spongy or erratic. The view is clear to all but the very edges and the color is very warm and the least dissimilar to my actual view as all but my most expensive scopes. The Leupold's view seems distorted at a closer distance to the center of the lens and the color is just lacking. I lost the ability to shoot about ten minutes earlier with the Leupold last year. I've had the FFs since 2002 and 2004, and the Leupold since last year. 10 years, more marketing, and new technology and I still like the optical and mechanical quality of the Burris over the brand new Leupold. The view through the Leupold is very "white" and washed out. Into the setting sun I lose a lot, with the sun at my back the image is very bright, but to a point of losing contrast and the ability to resolve small details.

I won't make any comments as to the ability to hold zero for either on hard kickers because I've had them on relatively light kicking guns (.223, 243 (Win and WSSM), 7/08, 270 Win, 7mmRM) but they have always held on those. The 243 WSSM Burris was mounted in August of 2004 and hasn't been touched since, the other is a very mobile scope as it's been on 6 or 7 guns due to being convinced I needed to spend more money on a scope and then realizing I have to spend much more to get any appreciable difference.

I love the ballistic reticle in the Burris, which didn't cost me more (they may now) and it's very usable in low light while not obscuring too much or being too busy. The Leupold BR is $50 more and the standard Leupold reticle is very thin and easy to lose in low light.

The Leupold is very light, I think I measured mine at 10 oz, but it feels and looks less sleek than the Burris. I like the power adjustment knob on the Burris because it's quick and easy to turn with gloves or cold hands, but it's still tight and resists movement. The Leupold's adjustment ring feels very crude, not as tight, and is small and is difficult to adjust with gloves or cold hands.

I own the following scopes
Leupold 6x M8 - ca 1985
Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40, 1.75x6x32, 1.5-5x20
2 - Burris FF II 3-9x40
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12x40
Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50
Leupold VX -1 in question
Leica ER 2.5-10x42
There are a few others but I can't remember now and I just got the 8 week old asleep and don't want to move to the garage.

The only scope I regret purchasing is my VX-1. Wish I had bought the VX-2. I'm not a Leupold basher and will own more, but not another VX-1.

I don't throw my guns in salmon streams or have to fend off bears. I don't ride miles on horseback with them in a scabbard or twist turrets to get way out there. But I don't baby them either.

I have had LASIK surgery (12/2004) so my eyes may see things differently than those with glasses or contacts.

Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, I'm on an I phone with a cracked screen.
Add $49 and you can get a 2014 (maybe 2015) Leupold VX2 3-9x40 CDS.

I picked up 4 last week from Cabelas.

P
Petro:

I was referring to the newest version of the Leupold
VX-1. Improved over the earlier model. That may be
the one you have.

Lots of discussion on those changes on the site.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

This!!! - I bought three of the 3-9 VX-1 from Cabelas last winter when they had them on special, after opening up the first one I packaged them up and returned all three. A few months later they put the 3-9 VX-2 CDS on sale for $249 with free shipping, I bought three of them and could not be happier. The crisper, sharper view is worth more than the extra $49 more. The current VX-2 was the VX-3 until 2012 when the Leupold scope line was rebadged and the difference between the VX-1 and VX-2 is obvious in a side by side comparison.

Caveat - my eyesight is 15/20 on good days and 20/20 on bad days and my visual acuity is excellent so perhaps I see things that are less obvious to others depending on their eyesight.

drover
The Burris 3x9x40 Full Field II is a great value and a very good scope.
The current VX-2 was the VX-3 until 2012 ...

Do you mean VX-III rather than 3?

Even so, they wouldn't really be the same. While the index matched lens coatings may be shared, the underlying optical system designs are different.
How so ?
The type and shape of lenses. The VX-2 optical system is a descendant of the Vari-X II with incremental coating updates. Same as the VX-3 is a descendant of the Vari-X III.

Putting fancier coatings on a Vari-X II doesn't turn it into a VX-3 any more than putting Rainguard on it turns it into a Bushnell.

P

This!!! - I bought three of the 3-9 VX-1 from Cabelas last winter when they had them on special, after opening up the first one I packaged them up and returned all three. A few months later they put the 3-9 VX-2 CDS on sale for $249 with free shipping, I bought three of them and could not be happier. The crisper, sharper view is worth more than the extra $49 more. The current VX-2 was the VX-3 until 2012 when the Leupold scope line was rebadged and the difference between the VX-1 and VX-2 is obvious in a side by side comparison.

Caveat - my eyesight is 15/20 on good days and 20/20 on bad days and my visual acuity is excellent so perhaps I see things that are less obvious to others depending on their eyesight.

drover

It is not surprising the VX-2 is better than the VX-1.

The OP was asking for scopes under $200.00
Originally Posted by mathman
The type and shape of lenses. The VX-2 optical system is a descendant of the Vari-X II with incremental coating updates. Same as the VX-3 is a descendant of the Vari-X III.

Putting fancier coatings on a Vari-X II doesn't turn it into a VX-3 any more than putting Rainguard on it turns it into a Bushnell.

Ok. I wasn't sure what you were getting at. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the actual grade of glass itself between them either. I know that I bought a VX2 4-12 from SWFA a little over a year ago and I am happy with the optics in that scope.
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

P

drover

My reading comprehension is just fine, however I was pointing out that by spending only $49 more he would take a major step up in quality. If he can afford $200 chances are he can wait another couple of weeks and spend another $49. Cry once.

drover
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

P

drover

My reading comprehension is just fine, however I was pointing out that by spending only $49 more he would take a major step up in quality. If he can afford $200 chances are he can wait another couple of weeks and spend another $49. Cry once.

drover

The question really has nothing to do with what I can afford, I picked $200 because once you get to $300 there are LOTS of great choices and a lot of the guys I know won't spend over $200 for a scope, I've usually recommended the Weaver Classic V9 in the past as it seams a lot of guys are stuck on 3-9 scopes and I still feel it was the best scope for the dollar out there period...unfortunately it is no longer in production.
This is a VX-1. It is the newest model.

I'd save for a bit longer and buy the VX-2 if Leupold was the first choice.
Originally Posted by Petro
This is a VX-1. It is the newest model.

I'd save for a bit longer and buy the VX-2 if Leupold was the first choice.

Petro:

The OP was about scopes under $200. Did you see that.

Go back and read some Leupold posts, the new VX-1, is
very close to the VX-2.
And I gave my opinion on a scope under $200. The Burris FF. You said you'd never used one or would ever use one.

You told me it couldn't be better than the VX-1 because it's the best out of a couple of tests (none of which involved the scope I was talking about).

I don't need to read about Leupold VX-1s. I own one. And like I stated I wouldn't own another, especially when I can upgrade many times over for $100.

I was replying to you because you thought I had an older version and I was confirming for you that I did indeed own the newest version.

I hope that clears everything up for you.
In that price range I'm liking the Redfield Revolution. Decent glass, easy to get behind. When sighting in, the adjustments aren't as crisp as some others, but the impact moves when you turn the dial and then stays put after it is set.

I briefly owned a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and didn't care for it much. The ones I had looked through in a store setting were nice, but the copy I had showed distortions when looking through it in the field that were distracting to me. So down the road it went.

I have tried the Burris and some Nikons in that price range and have just settled on the Leupold products for my hunting rifles. The 3-9x40 Leupold/Redfields are easy to use, light weight compared to other companies offerings and if you swap, trade and sell scopes like I do sometimes, they are known quantity backed by Leupold's warranty. (which I haven't had to use on a scope yet). And if you have a question or problem on any of their products, you can call and get someone on the phone. Try that with some of the other companies.

Having said that, I do have some friends who are pleased with some of the lower priced Vortex scopes, Crossfire II's and Diamondback's in particular and they come with a Leupold like warranty as well.

Bob.
VX-1 Period !!
Burris
Perhaps I'm lucky. I have at least a dozen Leupolds ranging from about fifteen to thirty years old, mostly variables 2.5-8, 3-9, and 3.5-10. I'm about to send my first one back to the factory. It is a M8 3X and I want a reticle change.

I also have other Brands that are satisfactory. Elite 4200 is great so far. USA made Burris FFII, good glass, but short eye relief. The eye box does not bother me. A Newer Redfield Revolution is surprisingly nice for the money. A thirty year old Zeiss is likely the hardest used one of the bunch and it is still ticking.

The Redfield makes me think the VX-1 may be a good enough scope. (I'm about to get over being a perfectionist.)

Edit: I might add that I got over the magnum stage of my life several years ago. The closest thing to a thumper that I now own is a 9.3x62. The magnums are all gone.

Jack

I saw in another thread where Grice has the Bushnell Elite 3-9X40, normally $299, for $199. With a 1 pc. tube, good glass and 6" of mounting space, I'll take that over a VX1 every time.

John
Originally Posted by john843
I saw in another thread where Grice has the Bushnell Elite 3-9X40, normally $299, for $199. With a 1 pc. tube, good glass and 6" of mounting space, I'll take that over a VX1 every time.

John

Or the VX2 as well.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by m77

very comparable
lupys lines are better
have got both

Are you referring to the Si or Sii?

Pieter
Funny how different people have totally different perceptions and experiences with the same scopes. I've had excellent service out of several brands, but generally prefer the Leupolds.

One other option is to sign up for either the Sportsmans Guide buyers' club or an Amazon card. Either will allow you to spread out your purchase over time with no interest. The Amazon card lets you pay for puchases of over $150 in 6 months with no interest at all. $500 and over can be spread over a year. Puts better stuff in reach in time for hunting season. You do have to exercise some discipline of course.
Originally Posted by m77
Originally Posted by m77

very comparable
lupys lines are better
have got both

Pieter

the s1
Originally Posted by m77
Originally Posted by m77

very comparable
lupys lines are better
have got both

Pieter

the s1

In my initial post I referred to the Sii. It seems like the Sii is about the same price as a VX1. Around here the Sii is quite a bit cheaper than a VX1.

Pieter
sightron makes good scopes
seems not many people know about them or of them
I ran a s1 on my ml
no problems at all
now have a vx1 on it
no problems at all

the s1 is now mounted on a mk11 savage .22
slumlord also has one mounted on his

they call the s2 here in the states the "bigsky" I think
and it does have cleaner lines than the s1

© 24hourcampfire