Home
I went to Cabela's this week and looked though alot of scopes
and ended up purchasing one of their scopes with their name on it, its a 6-18x50 Outfitter,I was very surprised to see how good the glass is for such a cheap scope 329.95, he told me that Nikon makes the scopes for them, but the more I look into it looks like Meopta is making this scope.
I hope it works out for me.
Don't bet on the manufacturer based on the clerk's info. I asked the same question and was told Leupold. Personally I don't believe either. Sorry for the hijack blush . I hope the scope works out for you. The glass did look really good. I simply walked off when the clerk said Leupold.
I bought a Cabelas outfitter 3x9 from our own JB here on the fire and have been pleasantly surprised with it. John had it on half a dozen guns for testing and Ive had it on three...currently on my "truck" gun. I like the damn thing, even though it doesn't say "Leupold" on it! grin

[Linked Image]
The way I found out that Meopta is making this scope is because of the reticle is a Meopta EXT, and reticles are a patent item .
Sales clerks are like used car salesmen, sometimes the only thing they know, is the price of the car.
Meopta huh?

Maybe I'm more Hi-falutin than I thought! laugh
If it says "made in Japan" on it, it is not a Meopta.
Damn!

But on the other hand, if it says anything...its a talking scope! grin
Thats not true, they don't make any rifle scopes here in the USA, they are all made over seas.
Looks like Meopta is made in the USA or Czech Republic....
They started from Czech and do the assy of spotters and binoculars here in the USA , but the rifle scopes are assembled over seas and china .
No matter! I still like mine! grin
Actually I believe Cabelas had the rights to the EXT reticle. They have used it on many scopes down to those in the $100 price range, nothing wrong with them but I have very serious doubts they have sourced from Meopta at those price points.

It looks like to me that Meopta has sourced out assembly to china to make these scopes cheaper for Cabela's
Originally Posted by Outbackandy
and ended up purchasing one of their scopes with their name on it, its a 6-18x50 Outfitter,I was very surprised to see how good the glass is for such a cheap scope 329.95, he told me that Nikon makes the scopes for them, but the more I look into it looks like Meopta is making this scope.

Doesn't look like a Meopta to me, Looks like a Bushnell .
I don't think that jumping up and down will have any effect on how the scope works, so you can relax and just stand still.
My previous post was not to say anything negative about this scope so back on topic these scopes are impressive for the money. I've had a couple of the older Alaskan guide scopes and they were heck for stout and adjusted well.
The Euro Scopes are made by Meopta, it says Meopta on the scope and the box. I work the gun counter at Cabela's and mount all scopes when I'm at work. Who makes the rest of the Cabela's scopes is a closely guarded secret so the guys who say Nikon or whatever are talking out of their rears. I think it is Nikon, Bushnell or some combination of the two but I'm just guessing. No way is it Leupold.
cdb - talk to me about the adjustments on the scopes. Which was does "R" move and which way does "U" move on each adjustment? Thanks.

Look at the paper work in the box, where do you send it to for warranty work? Not Meopta USA
I can tell you for certain, if it says Japan, China, or anything else on it, it isn't a Meopta anything. Meopta makes the Cabelas Euro/Instinct stuff and that's it.
Ok, mr know it all...
Originally Posted by 5sdad
cdb - talk to me about the adjustments on the scopes. Which was does "R" move and which way does "U" move on each adjustment? Thanks.

I used to have it written down because my Meopro's are the same way. Got tired of it finally and called Meopta. They sent me normal turrets so I threw away what I had written down.

Concerning warranty work I assume you would bring it to Cabela's. I've only sold one in the year I've worked there and have never had one come back so I don't know.
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I used to have it written down because my Meopro's are the same way. Got tired of it finally and called Meopta. They sent me normal turrets so I threw away what I had written down.

Concerning warranty work I assume you would bring it to Cabela's. I've only sold one in the year I've worked there and have never had one come back so I don't know.

Yes,Cabela's will replace warrany work with a new replacement scope.
I have done some sub-contract work in my past and with the money and the clout they have, they could go to any of the big manufactures and have them make a scope just for them.
I believe the cabelas line is built by Barak's and then the price is inflated several hundred to times over
I bought an Alaska Guide scope 3.5-10x50AO 30mm back in 2001/2. Made in Japan. Glass is good but its a heavy sum a gum. I recall what I paid for it but back then I doubt I would have paid more than $300 for a scope. I had it for 2 years on my ABolt 3006 but replaced it. I put the scope in a box in the closet and there its been since. I think I will give it to my younger cousin forva few drinks and a steak dinner at deer camp as he was bellering about a 50mm AO last year. I tried to tell him to tell him he should get 40mm but you cant train then at that age they have to have what their buddies all have. Probably how I rendered the decision to get it in the first place.
Ok, mr know it all...

A simple "thank you" would have been more appropriate. He's giving you good information
Ok, mr know it all...

Well, he does know more than you do apparently. The "Instinct" and "Euro" models are/were made for Cabelas by Meopta.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Ok, mr know it all...

Well, he does know more than you do apparently. The "Instinct" and "Euro" models are/were made for Cabelas by Meopta.

True, but the OP has the Cabelas outfitter model which is not made by Meopta
My mistake as I should have said those two were the only Cabelas scopes made by Meopta.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
My mistake as I should have said those two were the only Cabelas scopes made by Meopta.

No problem , I didn t want to take the role of Mr Know it all either grin
I honestly can't believe this post is still rolling. That scope is NOT made by Meopta, and anyone that says that is not being insulting. It is a good scope for the money so I'm sure it will work out just fine for you.
I'm curious now, will look at them when I get to work tomorrow.
It looks to me that the Cabela's Instinct/ Euro ( Meopta )
made line has better glass in it then the Cabela's Outfitter line of scopes,CDB if you put a Euro 6-18x50 and a Outfitter 6-18x50 side by side they look the same but the Euro is 1.5" longer and weights more.
I've never seen the Outfitter line, but the Instinct/Euro line are basically he same as the Zeiss Conquest (the original Conquests) scopes.
We don't carry the Outfitter at our store so I cannot compare, but that makes sense. Looks like the only Meopta at the store is the Euro.
© 24hourcampfire