Home
Posted By: RDFinn Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
Here are some of the new models of SWFA SS scopes

[u][color:#000099][size:14pt]SWFA SS NEW MODELS[/size][/color][/u]
Pretty cool finally seeing the light with sfp reticles. I wish they offered the 3-15 model in the moa/moa configuration. That would be an awesome long range scope.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
Nice! I just bought 3-MOA/Mil dots. I wish they had a 3-15 MOA/MOA as well.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
I was really hoping to see the 3-9X42 with a low profile, capped windage turret and zero stop.

Probably not going to happen, but I can dream.
Posted By: Forest Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I was really hoping to see the 3-9X42 with a low profile, capped windage turret and zero stop.

Well.....Hope in one hand and SCHIT in the other. [bleep] idiot. Nobody wants to talk about your stupid SCHIT. Do you know a single [bleep] thing about rifles. Didn't think so! I also figured out who you are. Larry!
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15

As long as we're dreaming let's get some more eye relief and illumination.

David
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
So the advantage of the SFP would be relative reticle coverage at different magnifications? Would it affect the DOPE corrections, meaning only useful at certain magnification?
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
Maybe still try to score a 6x for a 22LR, wondering about the SFP 3-15× MQ for a 243 and subtensions
Originally Posted by Forest

Well.....Hope in one hand and SCHIT in the other. [bleep] idiot. Nobody wants to talk about your stupid SCHIT. Do you know a single [bleep] thing about rifles. Didn't think so! I also figured out who you are. Larry!

Yep, I'm Larry Root. You solved it, Sherlock.
Originally Posted by Canazes9

As long as we're dreaming let's get some more eye relief and illumination.

David

That would be nice as well
Posted By: atse Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Maybe still try to score a 6x for a 22LR, wondering about the SFP 3-15× MQ for a 243 and subtensions

Don't mess around with it. Get the 3x15 ffp. That way you can use your reticle for windage holds at all powers, not just one power in a sfp. That goes for verticals holds with the mil quad as well. This is the best reticle I have ever used in a hunting and target combination.
Posted By: deflave Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
That 10X MOA version should cause all sorts of excuse making.

Travis
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Pretty cool finally seeing the light with sfp reticles. I wish they offered the 3-15 model in the moa/moa configuration. That would be an awesome long range scope.

What is it that scares you about the Mil/Mil version ? So long as the reticle matches the adjusters it just a different form of measurement.
The world I live in thinks in inches and feet. I was out calling some coyotes the other day. decided to pull out my 243 ai with nightforce MOAR NXS scope on it. found a rock at 995 yards and took some cracks at it. The rock was approx 4 moa by 4 moa. so its a 40" rock roughly. quick easy and no math in my head. if your spotting for a guy with a pair of binculars in your hand isn't it easy to say 8 inches right? of course it is, are you seriously going to figure out mils by at 850 yards?

just as you said its simply another unit of measurement. I think in inches and feet. use what works for you.

I would also liked to seen a capped windage 3x9, These SFP scopes they have come out with are going to be alot more useful that most think. your going to get a reticle that works great on LOW power.
Posted By: atse Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
He'S had the benefits of a ffp scope explained to him a hundred times. He isn't going to get it. Save your breath.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
I'm still trying to figure out how he knew the rock was 4 moa x 4 moa......... grin
Posted By: Boxer Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/20/15
Someone needing multiple "cracks" at a 4MOA target inside 1000yds,with a Modern scoped boltgun,REALLY should be asking questions,instead of giving "answers".

Hint.

Now whether mil/mil,moa/mil or moa/moa...your "daunting" 8 inch correction at 850yds,is still only 8 fhuqking inches. Sliding the reticle that "much",with any of the lot,is a literal fhuqking breeeze.

The "BIG" fhuqking difference comes in with the .25MOA erector increments,as opposed to 1/10Mil(.36MOA) erector increments. The .25MOA erector will require 4-fhuqking "clicks" and the 1/10Mil 3-fhuqking "clicks". Hint.

Laffin'!

The middle is always the fhuqking middle and folks stumped by that,should hold pat with Tiddlywinks.

Pass the MQ Fixed Fhuqkers,their more tactile adjustments(as opposed to their MOA/Mil versions) and inherent unerring simplicity,conjoined with static subtension that is without limits in it's application...be it near or far.

Just sayin'.
Posted By: aheider Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/21/15
Anybody run the fixed 10X? I'm not sure I want that much magnification when something suddenly appears at less than 40 yds.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/21/15
The 10X Mil Quad is funner than heck in open country. Even on a slow poke Creedmoor it was good for a friggin' mile with a 20 MOA base.
Posted By: double tap Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by aheider
Anybody run the fixed 10X? I'm not sure I want that much magnification when something suddenly appears at less than 40 yds.

The fixed 6x is the answer to that dilemma! :-)

Either that or I reckon you could run the 1-4X and just keep it on 4x...

Chris
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by aheider

I have them on an AR10, .223, and my 300 WM. Can't explain it but it has a better FOV than they should! If my shots on norm would be closer ranges than the 6 would suit you better IMHO.
Posted By: lazi Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/22/15
I was thinking about a 10x SS for a .22 rifle. Looks like a winner...
I have 10X MQ on a 22 and like it.
I'm going to sneak in a 3-15 for Christmas.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by hunting1

Those of us stuck in the city are shooting at 100 yards where 1" = 1 moa.

My millirad scopes are worthless to me. The turrets are in .31" clicks or something.

All those mili reticles are useless too.

I don't know anyone and have never met anyone who wants this millirad stuff, or this first focal plane stuff that makes the reticle disappear for close running shots.
What?
Posted By: atse Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by hunting1

Those of us stuck in the city are shooting at 100 yards where 1" = 1 moa.

My millirad scopes are worthless to me. The turrets are in .31" clicks or something.

All those mili reticles are useless too.

I don't know anyone and have never met anyone who wants this millirad stuff, or this first focal plane stuff that makes the reticle disappear for close running shots.

What an ignorant comment spoken by someone who shoots 15 rounds a year. Brilliant!
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
What?

Huh ?
Posted By: deflave Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/23/15
Que?

Tony
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/23/15
SayWhat?
Originally Posted by atse

What an ignorant comment spoken by someone who shoots 15 rounds a year. Brilliant!

Isn't that a mixed metaphor?
Going from "ignorant" to Brilliant"?
Clark,

Your shots are under a 100 yards and you're even commenting about adjustments?

?
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by atse

Isn't that a mixed metaphor?
Going from "ignorant" to Brilliant"?

It is not metaphor--it is sarcasim.

If you are stuck in the city shooting 100 yards, this is probably not the best topic for you to comment on.
Posted By: atse Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/23/15
Perhaps a pop gun, complete with cork and string. (only a little sarcasm)
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Clark,

?

I am at the South end of Mercer Island using the Issaquah range for 11 months a year.
One month a year I stay in Eastern montana for deer, antelope, and elk.
Sometimes two months a year when I go in the spring for prairie dogs.

I sighted the 6.5-06 Dumoulin I built this year to 100y and worked up loads at Issaquah. Then in MT I made marks on the turret to 600 yards before hunting started. I then shot a doe at 629 and 250 yards with that rifle. The 300WM Mosin I built was sighted in to 500 yards in MT and shot a buck at 250 yards. The 6mmRem I built never got past Issaquah.

I typically build 3 rifles a year, but I buy a lot more scopes than that.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/24/15
You buy more than three scopes a year...and you haven't found what works yet?
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
You buy more than three scopes a year...and you haven't found what works yet?

How good IS your reading comprehension?
Clark,

?

I typically build 3 rifles a year, but I buy a lot more scopes than that.

Is this not an accurate quote?
Out of context.
I am at 100 yards for 10 to 11 months of the year.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/24/15
Out of context.

Only cause you won't drive an extra 45 minutes up I-90 to Stampede Pass..... there's all kinds of LR shots to be had there. But you won't find a covered concrete bench, coffee pot and snack bar, or a bunch of wankers in a circle jerk over Fred's new Cooper.... all of which seem more desirable to you than field fired empirical dope or reliable scope adjustments.
Posted By: deflave Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/24/15
Who is Fred?

Travis
Clark's life-partner with a new Cooper.....
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/24/15
Holy crap! Today's posts in this thread made my day.
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Out of context.

Only cause you won't drive an extra 45 minutes up I-90 to Stampede Pass..... there's all kinds of LR shots to be had there. But you won't find a covered concrete bench, coffee pot and snack bar, or a bunch of wankers in a circle jerk over Fred's new Cooper.... all of which seem more desirable to you than field fired empirical dope or reliable scope adjustments.

Isn't that a red herring fallacy?
What ARE your standards?
Clark's life-partner with a new Cooper.....

Dogshooter, please leave me out of your publicly displayed homosexual fantasies.
What ARE your standards?

I like first round hits at... at 1/2 mile via 12x SS....

Of course, that requires actuall shooting.... and use of the wares in question.

[Linked Image]
Dogshooter,
I am sure you are proud of you shooting, but the standards I am talking about are for forum decorum.

Before you post, edit your post.
Check that it is helpful and polite.
Edit out any bragging, insulting, logical errors, or extraneous information.
What ARE your standards?

I like first round hits at... at 1/2 mile via 12x SS....

Of course, that requires actuall shooting.... and use of the wares in question.

[Linked Image]

Dogshooter,

I was looking at the 10x and 12x. Leaning toward the 12x now.

Have you had a chance to compare the two?

GB
They 10x is as high as I would go. The 12x isn't bad, but comprised in comparison.
GB.... Once again, I concur with Form. 10x is best on most rigs, and seems a bit brighter side by side. A buddy of mine has a half dozen 12x SS's scattered from T3s to Steyers to AR10s to a 15lb Long Range 7 Rem... and loves them all... to each their own.

I've been running the 3-12 LRHS lately, and it's awesome.... but a guy could have three Super Snipers for the dough.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/25/15
SWFA reticle subtensions link.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-reticle-subtensions_topic32312.html
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/25/15
the 20% off seems interesting, not sure why I need 15 power where I hunt but I do like the looks of the MilQuad DM thing.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/25/15
Clark,

?

Lol....I had to read it twice myself. I couldn't believe someone who shoots 10-11 months a year at 100 yards is even in a discussion like this. Then again that's how the net goes it seems.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/25/15
Kaleb
Lol....I had to read it twice myself. I couldn't believe someone who shoots 10-11 months a year at 100 yards is even in a discussion like this. Then again that's how the net goes it seems.

Kaleb, I probably know some things about this topic that you don't.

I got a SWFA super sniper scope when Chris Farris his first picked some components from an Asian factory catalogue and imported his own brand. That was a long time after Gale McMillan did that and sold them to the marines. Any email I got from Gale was many computers ago.

I told Chris light transmission was terrible.
I have not measured it. I am not an optics engineer, but I have worked with them on attack helicopter night vision 15 years ago. I put in a lot of effort to get 120 db of dynamic range without any flicker at the bottom of night mode. I worked direct, contract, consultant, and firm fixed price contract under a statement of work. All the optics calculations were first time for me, and not a conditioned response. That was real work, doing new math.

I knew Chris from his ads in SHOTGUN NEWS and his posts on the shooter's forum in the 1990s when the WWW gun forums got started.

My father was chief engineer of a military and gun designing fortune 500 company. He mostly subcontracted the fire control [not the trigger like a Rem700 gunsmith would call it, but the aiming system] to Hughes Corp. But he did make an anti backlash split gear in an aiming system. You can't afford that in your scope nor your guitar tuning keys.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/25/15
Clark, not sure this is a comment on current SWFA scopes regards the light transmission?
What does any of that have to do with you saying that mil rad scopes are worthless to you because you shoot at 100 yards?
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/25/15
Absolutely bewildering...
1 moa = 1.05" at 100 yards (rounded nearest 1/100th)
1/4 moa = .26" at 100 yards (rounded)

1 mil = 3.6" at 100 yards
1/10 mil equals .36" at 100 yards.

So, zeroing at 100 with 1/4 moa leaves a max mechanical error or 1/8 moa, or .13".

Zeroing at 100 with 1/10 mil leaves a max mechanical error of 1/20 mil, or .18".

That's a difference in precision of .05" at 100 yards, or .5" at 1000 yards.

That's what all the fuss is about? It's such a small difference it is irrelevant for all practical purposes. That small difference is lost in the wind, your pulse, etc.

I'm migrating to mils, because I prefer the system of tenths.

Posted By: RDFinn Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/25/15
Some folks just want to share a word or two.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/25/15
You don't have to convince me. .. .. grin
And if one zero's with the mechanical error to the left, spin-drift will walk it back toward center on the way downrange.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
1 moa = 1.05" at 100 yards (rounded nearest 1/100th)
1/4 moa = .26" at 100 yards (rounded)

1 mil = 3.6" at 100 yards
1/10 mil equals .36" at 100 yards.

So, zeroing at 100 with 1/4 moa leaves a max mechanical error or 1/8 moa, or .13".

Zeroing at 100 with 1/10 mil leaves a max mechanical error of 1/20 mil, or .18".

That's a difference in precision of .05" at 100 yards, or .5" at 1000 yards.

That's what all the fuss is about? It's such a small difference it is irrelevant for all practical purposes. That small difference is lost in the wind, your pulse, etc.

I'm migrating to mils, because I prefer the system of tenths.

Could you please explain the max mechanical error! It seems to be 50% of the click amount and something about that seems wrong. Not disagreeing, just trying to understand.
Well, chances are your scope clicks will not fall dead on at 100 yards. But the most you could be off is half of one click value. If it was over half value, you would go one more click, and be within a half-click value.

Here's an example of 10 shots at 100 yards. Group is .664" wide, about 2/10 mils.

The center of the group is about 1/20 mil right of center.

I adjusted windage left 1/10 mil, putting the center of the group about 1/20th left of center, leaving spin-drift to bring bullet a little to the right.

[Linked Image]
I didn't think there could be that much error per click! I hadn't read much about the amount of error so you forced me to do some searching. I found this

[Linked Image]

form this article http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/08/13/tactical-scopes-mechanical-performance-part-1/

Thanks! I should have searched first! Sorry!
I wasn't referring to mechanical error in the scope itself.

I was trying to relate the fact that the zero on paper most likely will not be EXACTLY on the aim point.

So if you are within 1/2 click value you are about as close as mechanically possible. If you adjust a click toward point of aim, you will cross center and be off on the other side more than 1/2 click value.

If you are off between 1/2 and one full click value, it would make sense to adjust one more click to be within 1/2 click value from point of aim.
I got ya! I misread your post! Sorry!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Some new SWFA SS scopes - 11/26/15

Kaleb, I probably know some things about this topic that you don't.

I got a SWFA super sniper scope when Chris Farris his first picked some components from an Asian factory catalogue and imported his own brand. That was a long time after Gale McMillan did that and sold them to the marines. Any email I got from Gale was many computers ago.

I told Chris light transmission was terrible.
I have not measured it. I am not an optics engineer, but I have worked with them on attack helicopter night vision 15 years ago. I put in a lot of effort to get 120 db of dynamic range without any flicker at the bottom of night mode. I worked direct, contract, consultant, and firm fixed price contract under a statement of work. All the optics calculations were first time for me, and not a conditioned response. That was real work, doing new math.

I knew Chris from his ads in SHOTGUN NEWS and his posts on the shooter's forum in the 1990s when the WWW gun forums got started.

My father was chief engineer of a military and gun designing fortune 500 company. He mostly subcontracted the fire control [not the trigger like a Rem700 gunsmith would call it, but the aiming system] to Hughes Corp. But he did make an anti backlash split gear in an aiming system. You can't afford that in your scope nor your guitar tuning keys.

That is one tractor trailer-sized load of bullsh**.
© 24hourcampfire