Home
JG,

Seems like I remember a post a while back where you used some Kroil to loosen up some stiff adjustments on a rifle scope. I believe some folks were concerned with long term effects of using the penetrating oil on the optics, predicting possible dire outcomes. How's that working out for you?

I've got a couple of SWFA SS 3-9x42's with very stiff magnification adjustments, been considering options. A couple drops of Kroil seems like an easy fix!

Thanks,

David
David, I wonder if a silicone lubricant would work?

Might be a little more scope friendly?
Yes it was me David. I tried it out on a sticky power adjustment ring on one of my VX6's. It worked great, but wouldn't last much more than 6 weeks, so I switched to Tri-Flow, a teflon lube that Sam O somewhat alluded to, and it has worked very well. The power rings are slick and smooth. Hope that helps, and hope you guys had a Happy Thanksgiving.
Sam/JG

Thanks for the responses.

David
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9444141/1
David,

The Oil That Creeps might be compatible with the o-rings and might not be. Silicone is usually used for assembly, lubrication, and protection.

On our hydraulic fittings at work we use o-ring lube. Not Kroil, PB Blaster, WD-40, etc. There's a product for the job. And if a penetrating oil were the solution, I'd imagine that all the scope manufacturers would use it grin

But, I'm all for experimenting! Let us know how it goes. Kroil might be compatible after all.

If I were daring and wanted to take a wild ass guess, I'd use an oil meant for airgun o-rings. At least it's compatible with some o-rings.

Jason

Some other ideas...

Hobby stores sell silicone lube and oil for R/C cars.

ATF is generally safe for o-rings and has seal conditioners. These seal conditioners might work against you though as anecdotal reports from some buddies claim that the seals have swelled and stopped leaky countershaft seals on 2-smokes.
4th, since I first tested that Kroil about a year ago, and have had no problems with it and o-ring compatibility, IMO it's safe to assume it's use is no problem. Tri Flo works even better though. No further experimenting necessary IMO.
On things like this I prefer to let others blaze the trail. I'll take your word for it JG.

😀

David
I'll send you some tri flow if you want to try it out. Just say the word.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'll send you some tri flow if you want to try it out. Just say the word.

is this the stuff?

[Linked Image]

David
JGR,

It's possible that the seals are Viton and actually very resistant to chemicals (usually not good in cold temps though). But there are several different material types for o-rings and seals that I have no idea what Leupold uses.

It might be that Kroil isn't compatible with the seals in a scope but the small amount used just dilutes the existing silicone just enough to get the desired effect with no side effects.

Who knows what happens over longer periods of time though. I'd be interested to hear how the scope does over a few years.

Jason

David,

Just scribble something on the bottom of your scopes in case they end up on the SampleList someday. That way we know that they've got the luber-schlikum grin

Triflow states "solvents" but I haven't found the formula online.

I'd send an e-mail to Farris and ask him what lubes are compatible or at least what the seal material is.

I'd think pure silicone oil for $5 or less at a hobby store would be pretty safe.

J

I used Tri Flow on the stupidly stiff magnification ring on several Vari-X/VX 2-7 scopes--worked great. That was several years ago and the mag rings are still smooth.

Casey
I've got a couple secondhand contacts at Leupo. I'll try to find out what they use for their o-rings next week.
Jason,

That's a fair suggestion, I can shoot SWFA an e-mail. I'll take the tri-flow with me tomorrow on my way to the mule deer hunt.

Curious on your concerns on the o-rings - you think they would use Buna-n (or similar) on any scope other than maybe a bubble wrap special? I would think the expectation of solvents/bore cleaners in close proximity would dictate Viton or higher grade. Was assuming that's why they suck to turn when they get cold.

David
FWIW my lub'd VX-R power ring is smooth as silk a year later. I think I used CLP on it.
David,

I'd ask Chris directly as he should know.

My SWFA 3-9x also has a stiff mag ring. I just deal with it as it doesn't bother me, but maybe its not as hard to turn as yours. I've seen some Leupos that are really, really hard to turn.

Not sure on the o-ring material and don't even want to guess. I've always heard that the problems in cold temps were due to the silicon gelling but o-ring getting stiff would make sense.

I reckon there are simple explanations for these issues and the answers are just clicks away.

Jason
Jason,

I sent an e-mail to SWFA, I'll post the response. My 3-9's are stiff, but not horrible. I just added a set of Aadmount flip up scope caps to the 3-9x42 on my Montana and they interfere a little with getting a good grip on the magnification adjustment ring.

SWFA sells something to assist with adjusting the magnification, but it looks overly bulky and obtrusive to me. I wish they offered a little cat tail like the 3-15x42.

Regards,

David
I hear you Jason. David, yes that's it alright.
Follow up from SWFA as promised:

David-

The grease that we use was designed for extreme temperatures. However when it is cold out, on a new scope, I can understand what you mean.

However I have noticed after working the power selector ring back and forth it will free up.
I do not think that a little lubricant will harm anything. You could apply a few drops and see if that will help.

We offer a lifetime warranty on the scope that covers workmanship and manufacture defects. If it continues to be cumbersome to operate, you are welcome to send in to our Return dept. to warranty and we will be happy to inspect it for you.

Please let us know if there is anything that we are able to assist you with.

Best Regards,

Skylar McMahon
5840 E. US Hwy 287
Midlothian, TX 76065
Latitude : 32.442314 | Longitude : -96.920542
O: 972.726.7348 Ext. 8334
F: 972.617.1647

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2015 7:43 PM
To: SWFA <[email protected]>
Subject: Suitable lubricant for SWFA SS 3-9x42 magnification adjustment?

The magnification adjustments on both of my SWFA SS 3-9x42's is stiff and gets worse in cold weather. I would like to add a few drops of Tri-Flow or similar penetrating lubricant but am concerned about damaging associated o-rings and/or voiding the warranty.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

David
We use Kroil at work as a penetrating oil. When Kroil dries it will leave a very hard tough film that will literally act like a glue. It is a wonderful product for freeing up rusty parts and bolts. It is not a good long term lubricant.
old post but still relevant. interesting posts and thoughts above.

what about whale oil, sperm oil, clock oil? too oily? i like the needle type dispenser. maybe synthetic clock oil? remoil with teflon if you can find it(theres two kinds of remoil)? i have a weatherby scope that has tight windage/elevation adjustments
Interesting, old thread that I had forgotten about. However, I've continued to use Tri Flow in these circumstances and it's worked great with zero issues.
Great old thread and I just ordered a bottle to try on a stiff as hell power adjustment ring on my Vortex Razor LHT.
© 24hourcampfire