Home
Posted By: 1tnhunter Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
Guys need some opinions on this scope.

I'm going to be returning a Weaver to Midway due to a damaged crosshair and may want to go with the Burris.

Hows the glass, clearness, brightness?

Are they durable? I can be a little ruff on my stuff at times.

How are they to deal with as far as warranty issues?

Tried the search but did come up with what I was looking for.
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
I can't comment on the newer ones made over seas, but I have a 3x9 made in America and it ain't going anywhere. Crystal clear glass
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
I've had a number of them...I think they're the best value scope under $175. I thought a few of them had some excess parallax at over 200 yards and I sent them in and Burris took care of them very quickly. They track good, they hold a zero, and are plenty clear for the Money.
I have 3-9x50 E-1 ballistic plex . very clear , great in low light.
I have it on Ruger American using DNZ mounts.
I have 3 of these.. Two are fine for clearness.. The other one I could never get it adjusted. I called Burris all I got was the runaround...Never happens with Leupold!!
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
Originally Posted by kraky111
I've had a number of them...They track good, they hold a zero, and are plenty clear for the Money.

+1
405wcf
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
I have really good luck with the FFII on everything from a .22/250 to .340 Weatherby. The ones I have used have tracked trued, held zero and the glass is more than plenty good for hunting use.
Posted By: efw Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Originally Posted by kraky111
I've had a number of them...They track good, they hold a zero, and are plenty clear for the Money.

+1
405wcf

+2

I bent a tube sent it in & they replaced it no questions asked. Seemed like ok service to me tho a lot slower than Leupold.

I like their BP a lot better than the LRD too.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
In my opinion the FFII's are one of the best values in "affordable" scopes.

When Burris switched production of the FFII to the Phillipines I got a 3-9x40 and compared it in every way possible to my last American-made 3-9x40. The Phillipine scope was just as good overall, and more finely finished in small things, such as the threads on the turrets and turret caps. I've owned several of the Phillipine-made scopes since and haven't had any trouble with any, and had a 2-7x for quite a while on a .300 Weatherby.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
Gentleman, thank-you all!!!! One more question they list the scope @ 13OZ, is that accurate?

Mule Deer I have a question. I read your article in American Rifleman and you mention some scopes can be damaged during mounting. Well I mounted a Weaver K4 in a set of Talleys LW's, after it was mounted I noticed the top crosshair (vertical) was disconnected from the others.
I tighted them with the allen wrench supplied by Talley and, IMO, I didn't "lean" into them. I didn't notice the issue before I mounted the scope and don't notice it now that its not mounted. Could I have damaged it during the mounting? If so how do I avoid it?
Midway its going to exchange the scope, so im thinking of the Burris. I'm a little gun shy of the Weaver now, so to speak.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
Bought a USA model a while back because Mule Deer spoke highly of them.

I now own 4(all 3X9), 2 USA made and 2 Phillipine made. I see no difference in clarity between them and would have to again agree with Mule Deer in his post above about fit & finish.

Last one I bought I don't even have on a rifle yet, but when you can get that kind of quality in a scope for $100(after a $50 dollar rebate), it's to hard for me to say no.

1tnhunter, I just weighed that scope that isn't on a gun yet on my daughters diet food scale and it actually comes in a hair under 13 ounces.

Laffin, and I'm sure there will be more of them in what little future I have left.
Originally Posted by wink_man

1tnhunter, I just weighed that scope that isn't on a gun yet on my daughters diet food scale and it actually comes in a hair under 13 ounces.

Wink man......Thank-you!! I think I can the additional 3OZ of weight between the Weaver & Burris
Posted By: wink_man Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
My pleasure, and trust me, my daughters diet food scale is right on the money.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
I'll agree with other posters. Excellent scope for the $$$ and it IS durable. I currently own four of them in the 3x9, a couple of which have seen heavy use.
Good stuff!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/24/15
1tnhunter,

Probably the Weaver's reticle was already damaged before you mounted it, maybe even at the factory. Hard to hurt scopes with the little wrench included with Talley LW's!
Thanks fellas for the advice. Merry Christmas to you all!!
Posted By: 31 bertram Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
I've had one for 15 years of more on my 257 wby and it has been tougher than nails. If it dies tomorrow it won't owe me a thing, it's been used and abused put thru the wringer. I like the old standard plex it's nice for my aging eyes in low light.
Posted By: john843 Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
tnhunter, wink man is right dead on with the weight. Mine comes in at 12.9ozs or about 1.5 ozs more than a Leupold 3-9X40. Currently on a pre-64 mod.70, it has never hiccuped and a great deal for the $.

John
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
Which reticle do you guys have? Ballistic Plex or Plex?
Posted By: wink_man Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
I personally think you would be crazy not to get the Ballistic Plex, it's totally unobtrusive and it works. You can even call Burris if you work up a load other than what they show and they'll run the numbers for you.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my opinion the FFII's are one of the best values in "affordable" scopes.

When Burris switched production of the FFII to the Phillipines I got a 3-9x40 and compared it in every way possible to my last American-made 3-9x40. The Phillipine scope was just as good overall, and more finely finished in small things, such as the threads on the turrets and turret caps. I've owned several of the Phillipine-made scopes since and haven't had any trouble with any, and had a 2-7x for quite a while on a .300 Weatherby.

Muledeer, I agree with you. However, I noticed the coatings on the glass are different. I don't really notice a difference in clarity or "brightness" when comparing the 2. I've had to send 1 Burris FFII (Phillipines made) back and they fixed the problem with no questions asked and they were quick at sending it back. As far as reticle choice, I've always loved the ballistic plex reticle. It is damn near perfect for the type of hunting I do. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ocular that turns with the power adjust ring. I've gotten used to it and don't use buttler creek covers on that end anyway. The Burris FFII has always seemed like a very well built, affordable, clear and useable scope. I like them and use them quite often...I'd also like to mention a scope I have used for years that is my "proven" scope. It is an American made FFI (3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle). I've had it since around 2000 and it's been on 9 different rifles I've tested for accuracy. It's always held poi and zero very well and even though it's been on so many rifles, has never failed me...
Posted By: javman Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
Have a Fullfield ll mounted on a M77 7mag and has held up well w/o any problems. Very clear glass.
Posted By: atse Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
I have an old 3x9 with the electro dot.
Good scope. Mine did developed a point of impact shift from 6 to 9 power of about 2 inches at 100 yds about 8years ago. I sent it to them and they fixed the problem quickly,no questions asked. I have checked for the problem several times since and it has not appeared. I really like the adjustable electro dot.
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
It's easy to predict the hitting points of almost any of the ballistic hashmarks. At full power they are set at 1.5 4.29
7.2 10.5 moa. You can run almost any ballistic program that you can find on the internet and wherever you're zero brings up a match to those numbers should theoretically match the yardage. The key of course is always to go to the range and verify that it's working out that way.
I mentioned earlier that I sent a few of them in for what I thought was a little bit of excess parallax at yardages of 200 and over. As long as I was paying the dime to send them in I also sent along $40 and had them add the elevation turret marked in moa. I'm not sure what they charge today but I figured it was sure worth the $40 back then and they're pretty nice theyre low profile and come with a nice cap.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
I've had several never had a problem. Actually never had a problem with a Burris scope period. The Burris FF, Weaver Classic V, and Bushnell Elite is about all I use these days. Did just buy a Sightron though and am impressed. we'll see how it holds up.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/25/15
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Which reticle do you guys have? Ballistic Plex or Plex?

I have one of each. As wink man says the Ballistic Plex is unobtrusive and it works, at least for my purposes: I have it, in a 3-9, on my .22 Hornet. zeroed about an inch high at 100 yards the first mark below the crosshair is right on the button at 200 when on 9x. Under still conditions the rifle will group into about 1 1/2" or so at that distance, so I can hit be confident of hitting a rabbit in the head holding dead on with that mark.

On bigger game, with a bigger rifle, it'd work to longer distances, provided you had put in the time to work out the distance at which each line is on the money with your rifle and load - preferably confirmed on target rather than relying on calculation.

I've had my two FF IIs for a few years, and agree with the consensus here that they are really good value for money.

Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/26/15
Just ordered it w/ the ballistic plex
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/27/15
You're gonna like it. As others have said it is also my favorite sub $300 scope. It might be just as good or better than a VX-2 costing $350 with dots.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/29/15
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Just ordered it w/ the ballistic plex

Good choice. We have 2 with the BP and one without, I really like how the Ballistic Plex works and agree with what the others have said about how well it works. I had one 2-7x35 come loose inside pretty quickly on a 35 Whelen but Burris sent a brand new one which went on my wife's 6.5x55. The new one works great and my wife has forbidden me from replacing it smile The others have had a lot of use and work well, in fact the other 2-7x35 has spent lots of time on a 35 Whelen and even a 358 Norma Mag. Currently it sits on a 30-06. The 3-9 x40 with the standard cross hair is the spare scope right now but has proven to be reliable.
Posted By: Stevil Re: Burris Fullfield 3X9 - 12/29/15
Burris make a good product, Ive had 7 or 8 now and none has failed. 2-7 Blastic plex is my favorite, great light transmission, good Field of view.

Just works
© 24hourcampfire