Home
They have them up on their website now.
Site?
cite.
Not much change at all... And not less expensive!
From Leupold's website, the description of the VX-3i: (bold black done by me for emphasis, and red bold text added by me)

Originally Posted by Leupold Website
Versatile magnification ranges and an attractive new look make the Leupold VX-3i riflescopes ideal for virtually any hunting situation. The aggressively redesigned power selector is easy to grasp and turn and allows the shooter to quickly verify the power setting even with gloved hands. I can't say that I see anything that "aggressively different" than before, at least not in the single image they offer of the scope The Xtended Twilight Max lens system delivers the highest average light transmission in all colors for exceptional contrast and low light performance in all conditions. Edge blackened lenses reduce diffusion and glare to improve resolution and contrast. Second generation Argon/Krypton gas more effectively resists thermal shock and the dual spring precision adjustment system ensures match grade repeatability and strength. well now ... I guess these are more than ok for competition level benchrest scopes Top it all off with DiamondCoat 2™ external lens coatings for scratch resistance and you can see why the VX-3i is the first, last, and only name in riflescopes. As always, each Leupold Gold Ring riflescope is factory tested to be the ultimate in ruggedness, reliability and absolute waterproof integrity. Covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.

On a more serious note, I agree with the post above ... they appear roughly the same as the older VX-3 line ... the internals may be re-engineered or just beefed up, I don't know. As time goes by, we can always expect gas fillings to be improved, as well as lens coatings, so that's no big deal there.

I'm really wondering if these are practically the same thing as the VX-6 line, but w/out the internal magnification system that allows a really huge range (ie: 3.50-10x vs. 2-12x). I mention that only because I'm trying to figure out what makes the VX-6 so appealing vs. the VX-3i, unless you simply MUST have a scope w/ a huge magnification range.
The 30mm have side focus
Man is this state of the art or what...........

-Quantum Optical System

-Ze-max® design software

-Leupold’s Zygo® Interferometer

-Xtended Twilight Max Lens System

-Index Matched Lens System®

-DiamondCoat 2™ ion-assist lens coating

-2nd Generation Argon/Krypton Waterproofing

-Twin Bias Spring Erector System

-Match Grade repeatability
I don't know, but I am hanging on to my cache of the old version. All the buzz words look the same as before, but the cost cutting steps are not highlighted. Glad there are other brands like Bushnell Elite.
And they can't upgrade to a fast focus eyepiece like the rest of the scope manufacturers did 10 years ago?
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
The 30mm have side focus

The previous VX3 Long Range (the 30mm version of the VX3) had side focus as well.
Originally Posted by LEUPOLD Cyte

The aggressively redesigned power selector....
...easy turn power selector....

Tactile-X-Selector?
Originally Posted by Ghostman
And they can't upgrade to a fast focus eyepiece like the rest of the scope manufacturers did 10 years ago?

You say that like it is a bad thing.
Looks like the only 6.5-20 that you can get is the 6.5-20x50!
Natchez has the 3.5x10x40 duplexes for 399.99

http://www.natchezss.com/vx-3i-3-5-10x40mm-matte-duplex.html
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Man is this state of the art or what...........

-Quantum Optical System

-Ze-max® design software

I was thinking more like the Twilight zone myself!
A while back some studies were done in the pharma industry showing greater excitement over drug names that contained x, y, and z. It looks like Leupold found the study ...
Ole George Herter had nothing over Leupold..
Did they drop the post & duplex reticle altogether? I don't see it in the thumb nails.

That would suck.
Every model but the 6.5-20x50mm gets a duplex reticle. If by post reticle you mean a #4, it is only available in the 1.5-5x20mm. This is according to there catalog.
"there sight".....

sight, cite, site....

[Linked Image]
Be nice if they had a 1" tube scope with illuminated reticle - even if just the Firedot.
no gloss finishes?
The VX3I appears to be much "hoopla" about nothing IMHO. VX3 glass is already on par with the Conquest, and both get you way past legal shooting light.
The conquest seems to be a hair better than the vx3 in low light. Maybe this surpasses it. Even my old vx ii is adequate in legal shooting light. Just not quite as bright.
Originally Posted by TXRam

Look at the retail prices from Midway. They are in fact quite a bit cheaper.
Originally Posted by ingwe
"there sight".....

sight, cite, site....

[Linked Image]

grin
And they're in stock and for sale on at least one site I shop.
Those cds w/windplex are priced right!
Originally Posted by ingwe
"there sight".....

sight, cite, site....

[Linked Image]

I was simply not understanding the post.

Using the wrong homonym is hardly a grammatical error. It was a legitimate question, not a rhetorical one. wink
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by TXRam

Look at the retail prices from Midway. They are in fact quite a bit cheaper.

The 2.5-8x36 isn't any cheaper. Others are though. Noticed it right away.
The 4.5-14 30mm CDS side focus is $473 at a few places
I have something to say about you two with the Grammar Nazi thing...tha's just too much to watch between two guys like you.
On another note, I had a Leupold VX3L 3.5-10x50 waiting for me in the custom shop. I was saving my last bit of money to get it, and saw the posts today and returned to Leupold site....there is no sight of my scope. It disappeared! WTH!Submitted an email, waiting to see their reply. I saved all my pennies for this thing, and now it's gonzo!
Originally Posted by NavyManDM
I have something to say about you two with the Grammar Nazi thing...tha's just too much to watch between two guys like you.

They're neither here nor there with their corrections. People don't have anything to lose with loose spelling.
Originally Posted by NavyManDM
On another note, I had a Leupold VX3L 3.5-10x50 waiting for me in the custom shop. I was saving my last bit of money to get it, and saw the posts today and returned to Leupold site....there is no sight of my scope. It disappeared! WTH!Submitted an email, waiting to see their reply. I saved all my pennies for this thing, and now it's gonzo!
Consider yourself lucky
Originally Posted by RDFinn

-Quantum Optical System

-Ze-max® design software

-Lifetime warranty to fix scopes people actually use

I am glad they have a great service department.
I'm leaning towards a VX-3i 6.5-20x40mm. It will save me a few hundred $$ over a VX-6 3-18x44mm. The VX-6 comes with the CDS coupon but i read you get it added to the VX-3i for $90. I think I'll shoot it for a while and then see if it's a necessary upgrade.

Cost of VX-3i is $582.66
Cost of VX-6 is $844.79

Since this thread is a few months old, does anyone have an update on their VX-3i?
Bought 2 of the same model earlier this year. VX3i 4.5-14x40mm CDS 30mm Windplex. Shot one, and the other gun is not completed yet. The first one tracks excellent, very crisp image, and happy with the reticle and all features. Haven't tested it in low light or hunting situations yet, but will in September.
I have some of each. I can't tell any difference
© 24hourcampfire