Home
Posted By: 300MAG Who uses a Swarovski Z6 scope?? - 02/08/16
I usually use Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender scopes but I just ordered a Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 scope with the plex reticle.

I wanted a good low-light scope to use in heavily wooded areas where I hunt with shots mostly under 200 yds. I liked the simplicity of this particular Z6 and its excellent reviews for its glass.

Share your thoughts on the Z6...good, bad, or ugly.

Thanks!!
You have owned 2-3 Z6's yourself. Heck, I bought one from you. Remember?

4 & 7 is better for low-light, the plex is ultra thin and difficult to see in low-light/dark timber.
Bought a Z6 to replace a PV on one if my go to rifles, great glass, a bit less weight and liked the side focus; but compared it to my late manufacture(2008)Swaro PV 4-16x50 and could not see much difference optically. Actually preferred the BR reticle on the PV. Sold the Z6 and saved myself about $1500.
Originally Posted by slg888
You have owned 2-3 Z6's yourself. Heck, I bought one from you. Remember?

4 & 7 is better for low-light, the plex is ultra thin and difficult to see in low-light/dark timber.

I have bought 2 of them before but never used them...sold them before rifle was done or before rifle got to the range for first time...never shot behind one. I was going to PM you.....could not remember which reticle was better..the plex or 7A??
4, 7, or brh reticle.... plex sucks for hunting IMO. For low-light dusk hunting I've found the 3-9 Trijicon/green dot is the way to go.....dropped 4 nice bucks last year on evening hunts.
I don't have that specific scope, but I do own a Z6i 1.7-10X42 with the illuminated Circle Dot reticle. It's superb, as I would expect from an optic with its price tag. My only criticism (apart from price) is the illumination switch is a bit too easily turned on accidentally.

I don't personally care for the plex, BRT and BRH reticles, but that is a personal thing. I love the CD reticle I have in mine, and I love the more subdued, very well controlled amber/orange illumination.
4, 7, or brh reticle.... plex sucks for hunting IMO. For low-light dusk hunting I've found the 3-9 Trijicon/green dot is the way to go.....dropped 4 nice bucks last year on evening hunts.

Stoney:

Looking at Swaro's website...the Plex and 7 reticle look very much alike except for the larger middle crosshairs on the 7....what makes this better than the standard Plex?? Not disagreeing with you here at all, just picking your brain cause you have used them out in the field.

Thanks!!

Thicker middle crosshairs don't "fade" into dark objects in low light as badly as thin crosshairs.
Supposedly Swaro has thickened up the original plex in 2015 due to all the complaints. The original plex I owned was fantastic for daylight hunting/target shooting, but got easily lost in the evening hunt.

Check with Euro or Jay at Sport Optics to see if Swaro made the change for 2015.
Originally Posted by jowens
Thicker middle crosshairs don't "fade" into dark objects in low light as badly as thin crosshairs.

I could be mistaken, but I thought I read crosshair thickness was the same on Plex and 7 reticles?? They are just "spread out" further on the 7 reticle???
Supposedly Swaro has thickened up the original plex in 2015 due to all the complaints. The original plex I owned was fantastic for daylight hunting/target shooting, but got easily lost in the evening hunt.

Check with Euro or Jay at Sport Optics to see if Swaro made the change for 2015.

Thanks for help Stoney!!
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Originally Posted by jowens

I could be mistaken, but I thought I read crosshair thickness was the same on Plex and 7 reticles?? They are just "spread out" further on the 7 reticle???
Unless Swaro changed it in 2015, the 4 & 7 were thicker....similar to a Zeiss #20 or Leupold standard duplex.

Here ya go Jeff

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8603534/Re_Swarovski_Plex_reticle
Called Swarovski...since they had all the complaints about their plex reticle, they have changed them over to a heavier plex reticle. As long as your scope is new 2015 model, it should have this heavier plex installed in it.

Thanks again for all the help!!
Super scope, but like others have stated, plex reticle negates any advantages in light transmission. Buy a Meopta and you will not notice the difference.
I have a couple of them in #4 reticle, both illuminated and non-illuminated. Perfect scope for what I need. I would also look at the the Meopta that Jorge recommends. I may buy one just to compare. I suspect they are very close with the Swaro having a somewhat more sophisticated illumination system.
Originally Posted by atomchaser
I have a couple of them in #4 reticle, both illuminated and non-illuminated. Perfect scope for what I need. I would also look at the the Meopta that Jorge recommends. I may buy one just to compare. I suspect they are very close with the Swaro having a somewhat more sophisticated illumination system.

Look thru an R2 and a Z6 and tell me what difference there is except 1k or more. The R1 I have has a great illumination system, the r2 is better. The gold standard is not Swaro but S&B .
Received my new Z6 with the heavier plex reticle....really like it so far (not mounted yet though).

Glass makes things "pop" and the plex reticle is simple and easy to see in low light!!
© 24hourcampfire