Home
In all my years of shooting, this is the first time I've had a scope fail. Zeiss Victory Diavari. I sent a description of the faillure to Mule Deer, along with target images and he surmises Erector Failure. I was on my McMillan stocked Model 70 in 300 H&H. I KNEW I should have used a Leupold! smile
so your erector failed, eh?
Maybe his Zeiss Erector needs little blue pills
Had to send in an HT bino for a focusing issue. Been hit in the head plenty, so we haven't ruled that out yet...
I've had Leupold fail me twice and a Mark 4 that won't track Go figure.
Easy to figure out; ALL scopes can fail..

No different than people. Some just do it more than others.

I had a Conquest that shot 3" high when lowered all the way. I didn't think it was the gun, so I sent the scope back. It was the scope, because when it was returned it was fine. Apparently the reticle was not properly aligned or something.
I've got same issue with one of my VX3s right now. CS/warranty is just as important as QC....cuz they'll all break.....and why I can't completely buy into selling out for supposed toughness over known glass quality: even supposedly tough scopes break. Why not have good glass, anyway? laugh
Been full circle on scopes, from Swaro Z6s to Zeiss' (duh), Nikon, leupold, Meopta, Khales, etc. I'm sticking w Leupolds, with Meoptas if the scope fits the application.
Jorge, do you know if Zeiss will fix a problem scope if the registration card was sent in by another owner? powdr
powdr-Yes, they will.
Haha, I've broken two Zeiss scopes...they should stick to spotters.
haha? WTF/
Thanks a bunch Tommy. powdr
Hello Jorge,

I agree every scope can fail. First of my quality scopes to fail was a Schmidt & Bender 1,25-4x20. Made in 1991. I had it from new. After around 700 .375 H&H rounds from my Win 70 pre-64, the thin hair of the Nº 4 reticle brokes. It was a mechanical reticle, not glass. I send to Hans Bender (1998) and I ask for a glass reticle if possible. He said yes. Came fixed and cleaned. Then I sold it to a friend (to buy a Victory 1,5-6x42 for the .375, one of the first of that series)who is using it with total satisfaction.
The second one was a Kahles Helia C 1,5-6x42 I bought used a few years ago (2011). In 2013 after a short time in one of my 7x57 I found the focus shift when change powers. A call to Kahles and a helpful girl tell me quikly most probalby was a problem inside the erector tube. Fortunately next month I was in Europe visiting three of my son. Took 20 days to send and receive the scope fixed and cleaned to and from Austria. After that and many 7x57 rounds, no problem. Great scopes, both, indeed.
Anyway, my most battered and knocked and used scope is still working GREAT as the first day! It is a Zeiss Diatal DA 4x32 Ret Nº1 i bought new in 1972. Fantastic scope! One of the best in optics and mechanics I ever had!!! And survived some brutal use in his life....It is a non centered reticle...
My two Victories (1,5-6x42 R4, from the first made, and a 2,5-10x50 R4 from the last batches) are still in one piece. The 1,5-6 on that same .375 is OK after 300 rounds. The 2,5-10x50 is perfect after 300 rounds from a .30-06 standard weight.

Good luck with yours!

PH
Muchas gracias, Patagonia. Hopefully Zeiss will make it right and it will stay that way. j
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hello Jorge,

Good luck with yours!

PH

Jorge,

You see our buddy PH is from Bariloche? You know how envious I am! Got to get there soon.
Originally Posted by tomk
so your erector failed, eh?

My erector failed years ago...but my scope is fine.

its a Leupold.
I guess since I've broken (at least) two Leupolds, that they should stick to binos?

confused
I'll take your word for it--please, no pictures...:)
Hi hatari,

Are you coming here...for hunting or fishing? I will be glad to help you whatever you need! Call me if you want! I will be out from March 21th to 29th.

Regards

PH
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I guess since I've broken (at least) two Leupolds, that they should stick to binos?

confused

No, everything leupold is junk.
That's why Chris Kyle only could only shoot 2100 yards with his 338 Lapua. If he would have had another scope he could have easily hit center mass on a towel covered head at 2500.
Chris Kyle used a Nightforce for that shot and most of his others!
On the 300 Mag, yes. On the 338 Lapua, nope. Pictures in his book show it also, and Leupold confirmed it:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/01/17/american-sniper-chris-kyle-rifles/
My mistake Ken.
Ken, if you'd actually read that article, you'd realize Kyle was a Nightforce fan. One could assume that leupold on his Lapua was simply part of the package he received.

You clearly don't shoot a lot. Failed leupold erector assemblies, and tracking issues aren't fiction.
Maybe he was a NF fan, but seems he made LR shots with a Loopie. It's OK dogcatcher. Some things are out of your control. mtmuley
some grapes will always be sour to some. Their loss
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

confused

Where you born stupid and obnoxious, or just something you picked up after years of losing your lunch money at school?
I love the optics forum......

Peace, love, and understanding reigns here.
Originally Posted by hatari

Peace, love, and understanding reigns here.

Which thread in the archives is it hidden in?

Ed
Jorge, I was a lot smarter before I had the misfortune of reading your posts. You should try taking that old dust covered gun of yours out shooting sometime. You might learn something.
Easy in your case, when all you have to go is "up", but on the gun,Ok, I will..
That is where the trouble started in the first place. He got his gun out and discovered an erector problem
Not really...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KenMi
On the 300 Mag, yes. On the 338 Lapua, nope. Pictures in his book show it also, and Leupold confirmed it:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/01/17/american-sniper-chris-kyle-rifles/

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

confused

Where you born stupid and obnoxious, or just something you picked up after years of losing your lunch money at school?

Nothing brings out the LDS better than posting evidence proving that Leupold Scopes work.

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Jorge, you must be rich........
ouch... smile
grinning

get plenty of rest...
I need it...
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hi hatari,

Are you coming here...for hunting or fishing? I will be glad to help you whatever you need! Call me if you want! I will be out from March 21th to 29th.

Regards

PH

No plans to be down that way in the next few months, but I love your country!!!!

Many thanks for the kind offer and I hope we can rendezvous soon.
Fuggin Krauts, just got off the phone with Zeiss and the scope went back to "die Vaterland", so about 12 week turnaround... Should have stuck with Leupold...
That's what happened to my buddy's spotter when the focus knobs went down......4 month turnaround.
Fuggin Krauts, just got off the phone with Zeiss and the scope went back to "die Vaterland", so about 12 week turnaround... Should have stuck with Leupold...

Need a loaner?
I'm good Ed, but thank you very much. Did you ever get my PMs RE: taxidermy in Africa?
Been full circle on scopes, from Swaro Z6s to Zeiss' (duh), Nikon, leupold, Meopta, Khales, etc. I'm sticking w Leupolds, with Meoptas if the scope fits the application.

I've had more Leupolds fail than any other brand. What are you going to do when your leupold fails? It will inevitably happen...
Well, when a Leupold goes tits up, I'll report it then. How's that?
I'm good Ed, but thank you very much. Did you ever get my PMs RE: taxidermy in Africa?

Yes I did Jorge. Looks like I will have delivery to Houston and drive over as you did to save that last bit of shipping.
In all my years of shooting, this is the first time I've had a scope fail. Zeiss Victory Diavari. I sent a description of the faillure to Mule Deer, along with target images and he surmises Erector Failure. I was on my McMillan stocked Model 70 in 300 H&H. I KNEW I should have used a Leupold! smile

Had you mounted it on a 270 or 30-06 it would have lasted forever but nah you had to use that macho 300H&H grin

PS hope you get it sorted out I like those Diavaris
Ed: are you having the stuff mounted over there, then shipped? I was very happy with their work. Elk: I took the Z-6 of my 340 and I'm going to put it on the 300 H&H. When the Zeiss gets back, I'll put it on the 340.
And they will make it right (Leupold that is), without sending off to Taiwan or Swaziland for 8 weeks. Have also heard of certain instances where in a pinch they send a replacemnt as soon as you put a scope in the mail. Obviously, requiring a card number for backup.
They didn't offer that. They just told me 10-12 weeks auf Deutschland
© 24hourcampfire