Home
Posted By: romad97 Best Rings for Magnum Rifle - 04/14/16
I am purchasing either a 7 mag or a 300 win mag Tikka this weekend. I already have a Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16X50 rifle scope that I plan on topping this rifle with. I have two other Tikkas that I have talley 1 piece lightweights on and I really like them. They are however much lighter recoil calibers. I have never owned a magnum so I don't know how the talleys would hold up under recoil compared to a weaver style base and a set of burris signature zee's or something similar.
I've got Talley two piece fixed rings and bases on all my magnums and never experienced any scope slippage. However, their lightweights should work just fine on 7mm or 300 mags also. 7mm and 300 mags can't really be called hard kicking in normal weight rifles.
Talleys work on my magnums just fine.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Best Rings for Magnum Rifle - 04/14/16
Or go with the new style Warne Tikka rings, and avoid using screws to hold the bases on. They have an improved recoil lug now, and with 4 screws on each ring, a 458 wouldn't make a scope slip.

That's what I put on both mine. 280 AI and 300 Win Mag.
Check out DNZ Game-reapers also.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Best Rings for Magnum Rifle - 04/15/16
I have a Kimber Montana (light weight) in 300 WSM and the Talleys keep the scope in place just fine with handloads at max and 180gr bullets.

Use the Talleys with confidence if Talleys are what you would like.
When I first saw the topic, I thought "magnum" in something like a 375 H&H or up. I can't imagine lightweight Talley's have any trouble holding true on something like a 7 Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag.
For "steel" rings that are still fairly light weight, nicely profiled and nearly bomb-proof and at a reasonable cost... its hard to beat the Weaver Grand Slams. Their silver rings are really nice on stainless rigs. Though I do like the Warne steel bases better than the Weavers.

So, Weaver Steel Grand Slam rings on Warne steel bases.

Phil
DD's..... smile
I use steel rings for most of my magnums. Something with a cross slot design. My 375 H&H uses the Leupold PRW. However, my 338 win mag wears a set of Talley lightweights because I wanted to keep the weight below 8 pounds. They seem to be holding up well. If that changes, I'd probably opt for something like Bobin suggests ("DD's")...

Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Best Rings for Magnum Rifle - 04/24/16
Talley LW's have worked great on a very light .325, a light .338 Win mag, a very light 7 WSM, and a host of lesser kickers as well.

I'll believe they break when I break one <g>.
Conetrols. End of story.

A little tricky to mount until you get the knack, but STRONG, extremely attractive & not very heavy.

MM

Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Conetrols. End of story.

A little tricky to mount until you get the knack, but STRONG, extremely attractive & not very heavy.

MM

That or Sako Optilocks.
Posted By: toad Re: Best Rings for Magnum Rifle - 04/25/16
Leupold in Talley LWs on a 8# .375 RUM. dunno what the round count on this combo is, but it's 200+

[Linked Image]

and another, but lighter

[Linked Image]
Have S&K's on a 270 Weatherby and a 300H&H; no problems
I'm running DNZ on my .300 wsm extreme weather M70 with a 2.5-10-40 elite 4200 seems fine as do the multiple sets of talley LW I have just don't farmer tight them use a torque wrench. I have the Warnes on a tikka 338 federal and they seem tough as well. Been wanting to try some Burris Signature rings at some point. I like the design of the DNZ from a strength standpoint but they are the prettiest things out there. DNZ also offers a two piece set Up like talley LW . I have a set of those in 30mm on a custom 25-06......no test of recoil but they look pretty tough. Hope this helps...goodshot
© 24hourcampfire