Home
Posted By: BobinNH What Do You Get....? - 04/14/16
For a 4 year old grandson who seems intent on bringing his binoculars? He is using them, too.

His father has had him looking through my unmounted rifle scopes and he is fascinated with the optics.

I don't know what this pair is but I bet they are blister pack jobs and I am thinking something 5-6X power, light weight ergs to be managed by small hands and decent optics. Something solid and good, but not Alpha money either.

Grandfathers can't resist pandering to any outdoor interest demonstrated by grandsons. smile

I am not used to looking for bins for kids. What do you guys think? Any suggested make/models? Advice appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bellydeep Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/14/16
Check out the cheap Leupolds that Mule Deer likes. I bought a pair on his rec and they are very good. 6X. I can't remember the model. And after a couple 7&7's, I'm too lazy to walk down to the basement and see what they are. IIRC they retail around $100 and are made for people with a shorter distance between their pupils.
Posted By: bellydeep Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/14/16
These:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/289800/leupold-bx-1-yosemite-binocular-30mm-porro-prism-armored
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/14/16
belly deep thanks!

Great suggestion. I was thinking Leupold. Gotta think small eyes and heads, too!

He loves trains and jets as well as looking at the wild life.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/14/16
I got my Yosemite 6x30 for $56 on a Black Friday sale two years ago, and wish I had bought several!

Make no mistake, the 6x is the right choice - best for kids (I have a BUNCH of grandkids) and for hunting, especially when weight is an issue.
Nice Czech. Thanks! Nothing like first hand experience. Trey is my first rodeo (oldest) so all new to me.

Gracias!
belly deep thanks i will look on Midway.
I let my boys use my swarovski's. There tuff and they ain't hurt them yet. Swaro also has a great warranty if the do damage them.

Of course now my kids refuse to use anything but Leupold scopes and swarovski bino's.

Dink
Posted By: pointer Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
I'll also recommend the Yosemite's. Santa brought by two boys each a pair. Might want to check into a shorter strap or harness. The one that comes with it is a bit too much for my youngest.
Posted By: SKane Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Bob,
Like numerous folks above have stated, the 6x30 Leupold Yosemite is terrific.
You might as well order two to save yourself the shipping when you decide you want one of your own. wink
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Dink you know I will probably go there eventually. But he is not quite 4 years old.

At his age the risk of losing them is higher than the risk of damage. I learned this the hard way with my own son.... smile Plus i am not with him 24/7 to keep an eye on everything.

Just want him looking through decent optics right now and no eye strain. His anther told me this morning he is taking the bins with him a lot and likes using them.

Smart kid... wink
Posted By: ingwe Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Another +1 for Yosemites, and get them in a 6X...easier to acquire a target with for kids. Yosemites were designed to get the eyepieces closer together, specifically for children.
Caveat, don't try them yourself, or buy one for the grandkid and one for yourself. They are impressive!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
The Yosemite's are great glass for not much money.

Bob,
I'll second the others, get 2 because you will like them too wink
Posted By: CasualShooter Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Yosemite's are great glass for the money as previously stated many times!!!!!!!

I bought the 6x and love them.
Ingwe/MM/Casual: OK I am sold!

Ringing endorsement from you guys is all I need! Trey will be a happy camper and he gets the benefit of all this experience.

He doesn't know yet how lucky he is..... wink
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Our house binocular is a 6x model. Do a Goggle search for them and check prices.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
I bought Leica 8x20's for the kids and never regretted it. I'd not let them out the door,with wares I'd not use myself and the last fhuqking thing I'd use is Snoopy Binoculars.

[Linked Image]

And learn 'em to shoot both eyes open,even with empties flyin'.

[Linked Image]

Empties are waftin' to starboard here,with 40's enroute.

[Linked Image]

Double Tap lands tight and snuggerish and Iggle in the tree likes the Show.

[Linked Image]

Trigger time goes a long ways,towards honin' skeelz.

[Linked Image]

Both eyes open,is key...for all pursuits.

[Linked Image]

Hint.......................

Damit Larry I knew you were coming! LOL! grin
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
My kids really like the Yosemite 6X. Like others have posted, I wish I would have bought 2 or 3 more when they were on sale.
Posted By: beretzs Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
The Meopta MeoPro's aren't bad either Bob, I believe they can be picked up relatively inexpensively.

Cool pictures Stick! Kids shooting and glassing warms my heart!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
You ain't much of a grandfather if you don't get him these...

These are the latest binoculars by Leica, introduced in late December 2015. These are very compact and unbelieveable viewing. Brand new in the original box, they list for $1950.00. Get them now for $1799.00

[Linked Image]
Shrap if i bought him those, he'd never see them...... grin

Great buy though I gotta admit!
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
My kids all have the 6x Yosemites.... I've been known to swipe them on occasion myself.

No better kid glass exists....

My son William has taken to the old Nikon Manarchs in 8x too.... he prefers them over the 6x Yo's..... though I think it's because they look more like dad's glasses....

Coastal Blacktail hunt this past fall....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
dog shooter thanks! I was gonna say that doesn't look like Eastern Colorado to me !

LOL!
Posted By: kingston Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Two suggestions:

The cheap - pick up a pair of Steiner Champs on eBay

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=381598299115

The >$200 option - Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x30

...There are also either of the two Shrapnel has FS.

Posted By: Dogshooter Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
No prob Bob..... at the end of the day, they don't care what glass it is nearly as much as we do. And the "Wow, my own binocs..... Thank You!" is worth EVERY penny.
Posted By: Brad Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
The Yosemite's are the way to roll Bob... Bellydeep got it right first.

Most of the first couple posts on any topic have it right, and the rest are superfluous...
Posted By: mtcurman Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You ain't much of a grandfather if you don't get him these...

These are the latest binoculars by Leica, introduced in late December 2015. These are very compact and unbelieveable viewing. Brand new in the original box, they list for $1950.00. Get them now for $1799.00

[Linked Image]

I'll be sending that to both my grandfather's...... laugh
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Bob,

I've given several kids Yosemites, but have my own and use it quite it bit. It's a long story, but ended up using the 6x30 Yosemite when hunting bears in Alaska in 2009, and it was no problem finding the grizzly/brown I killed at a mile. (Grizzly/brown because in the area I hunted SCI calls them grizzlies, but B&C calls them browns, even though it's over 150 miles from any coast.) Of course, some people would never consider a 6x30 Yosemite is "enough gun" for grizzlies....:-)
Posted By: EdM Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Bob,

IIRC when we met at Cabelas your son/DIL were expecting. Is that little whipper snapper their creation? Time sure flies. Oh, yes Yosemite's. We own four of them.
John that's a riot how good some of these bins are today for the money . I can live sort of vicariously outfitting grandkids now LOL!

I remember that bear you shot. He was a nice one!

Ed yes Trey is the little guy who was born in Austin, and was only a week old or so old when we met at Cabelas Budda He has caught his first few bass....loves being outdoors.

He has grown into a bright little guy, very curious and interested in everything around him. Hard to believe he will be 4 years old in August!
Posted By: 4th_point Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Bob,

I bought the 6x30 Yosemites for my kids several years ago, now 4 years and 8 years old. Optically, they are pretty dang good like previously mentioned. However, I lost track of how many eye-cups we busted. I'd drop them off at the Leupo lobby and get a new pair in the mail. The replacement would last a little while and then we'd bust an eye-cup. They always gave me a new pair, but the last replacement pair got sold.

That said, the IPD and image are good for the kids. The focus wheel was a little stiff on all the pairs we owned if the binos sat awhile. Once exercised, it moved freely. Now I just give them my personal binos. They actually like the laser rangefinder even better grin

Pic below is Jake with the Leupo 6x30 at 2-1/2 years.

Jason

[Linked Image]
4th point thanks! If they will work for Jake they will work for Trey! grin

Kids do love them. I was not ever exposed to bins at that age.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
+1 for Bob and parents/grandparents that encourage little ones to get out. I might have to buy a couple pair of those Yosemites myself. <Grin>

[Linked Image]
Bob go for it! Fun watching the kids learn.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Another vote for the 6x30 Leupold Yosemite. Hard to beat for the money kid or grown-up. I have a pair I bought on sale for a song (on many member's recommendation) that bounce around in the truck 24/7. Use them often when hunting close, but as MD suggests, they can be pressed into service in any situation. I've used them pretty often when "better" bins were forgotten on a local foray.

I'd think they would be about the best compromise for bringing a kid along, considering money and quality.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
Another vote for the Leupold Yosemite in 6X as the clear best choice. Nothing wrong with the 6X Katmai as child size with good ergonomics but getting to be expensive enough that there are equally good or better at the higher price point.

To that I would add an eye test for the child as I wonder how good his unassisted vision might be. I'm prejudiced as when I asked my own mother for glasses she said don't be silly you're much too young to need glasses but it wouldn't hurt to know.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: What Do You Get....? - 04/15/16
The 8x version has lived in my truck for years now. Mostly used for spotting waterfowl in fields when spotting but have been loaners for big game several times. Not sure there is a better value for their price.
Clark good suggestion and I believe his parents have had his eyes checked. Will ask about that. He seems to have keen unaided vision.

Bob, I'm actually looking for a pair for my boat though I've seen them in Cabelas and Scheels now for well north of a C-note; probably will get one though.
Posted By: JBARTRAM Re: What Do You Get....? - 05/01/16
whatever you get him, add a baseball cap with a stiff bill to aid steady holding. (Mule Deer's idea I think)
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What Do You Get....? - 05/01/16
Good idea!
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I bought Leica 8x20's for the kids and never regretted it. I'd not let them out the door,with wares I'd not use myself and the last fhuqking thing I'd use is Snoopy Binoculars.

fwiw,
Concur in total. No reason hobbling the boy from the beginning with junk. For a couple more C notes you can find pristine 8x20 Leicas...

Regards, Matt.
© 24hourcampfire