Home
Posted By: abbyfireguy Scope for a Remington M600 - 04/26/16
Howdy all,
New on here for posts,been reading lots of info .
I have a real nice Remington M600 in 350 Remington Mag.
I am currently at the stage of scoping it.
I have a Leupold Dual dovetail base and new Leupold medium rings to fit.
The question I have is the scope that best maintains a lower profile with a small enough objective to fit the medium rings. My preference is either a Leupold 2-7 x33 or a Zeiss Terra 2-7 x32. Any thoughts from any of you that have similar rifles.
This is an all original rifle with the vent rib on top.
Took me 10 years to find one in pristine shape like this one..
I have two that both wear Vari-X III 2.5X8X36. Looks, feels and shoots right for me.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 04/26/16
Welcome

I have a 600 350 Mag. The scopes you'd choose sounds good. I have chosen a 1.5x5 Leupold. I had a 1x4 Weaver. Nothing wrong with the Weaver either. I like the lower powered scopes with this rifle. When I come across a FX 2 in 2.5 power, I'd be tempted to put that on my 350.

I like my 350 for hunting in the woods where elk may be 20 yards away and 100 yards would be an unlikely long shot.

Leupold VX2 2-7x33 or VX3 2.5-8x36. The 350 Rem Mag is a game cartridge and I like heavy reticles on my short/medium range games rifless, so either of those Leupolds with a heavy duplex reticle would be my choice.

I have 2-7x and 3-9x scopes on my Remington 600/660 rifles.
Posted By: cervus Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 04/26/16
I have a 600mohawk Im looking to scope shortly. Looking to put a kahles cl 2-7x36mm on it.

The other scope I did consider was a 1.75-6 leupold.....
Posted By: grovey Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 04/26/16
I'd be considering GOOD eye relief as a need too.
I have a Leupold FX-II 4x on my 660 350 mag.
Posted By: toad Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 04/26/16
2x in an old Redfield FrontIER mount on mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Leupold 2-7 has always worked for me, seems like a good fit. However a 3-9x40 or 6x42 would be good too.........

[Linked Image]
Mohawk/Shilen 8 twist .22-250 with VX-3 1.75-6x32 with added CDS. Works well for fast shots and at full power for long shots. 80 gr. VLD's shoot half inch or better at 3K.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Mohawk/Shilen 8 twist .22-250 with VX-3 1.75-6x32 with added CDS. Works well for fast shots and at full power for long shots. 80 gr. VLD's shoot half inch or better at 3K.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that.... What's the barrel length?
Redfield 2-7 on the 'Doose'.....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mtcurman

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that.... What's the barrel length?

22" #2 CM Shilen.

DF
My 660 Mohawk with a 20" 7mm-08 barrel and Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9.

As you can see, the 4200 looks a little big for the rifle, but when you put it up to your eye, all is forgotten but that beautifully crisp view.

On the other hand, I never seem to get it off 6x...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by czech1022

As you can see, the 4200 looks a little big for the rifle, but when you put it up to your eye, all is forgotten but that beautifully crisp view.

[Linked Image]

That may be a Fire phenomenon, too much exposure to the 6X fixed crowd.

So, next move, that 4200's got to give way to a Leupold 6x36 or 6x42.

That would be uber Kosher... cool

DF

[Linked Image]

That may be a Fire phenomenon, too much exposure to the 6X fixed crowd.

So, next move, that 4200's got to give way to a Leupold 6x36 or 6x42.

That would be uber Kosher... cool

DF

That'd just be UBER in general.... grin

Or a 6x42 SWFA... whistle
The SWFA may be a tad big and bulky for a 600, IMO.

For 6X, I'd probably go 6x36 on that gun.

I like my 1.75-6. I like low power for fast shooting. I know, I know, people make close shots on fast moving targets with the 6X. Maybe I'm not as good as they are; I like more FOV and less power for that kinda shooting.

And, at 6X with the CDS, I can utilize the full potential of my fast twist .22-250.

Different strokes...

DF
Posted By: ingwe Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 04/27/16
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Redfield 2-7 on the 'Doose'.....

[Linked Image]

My sentiments exactly. On that size rifle the 2x7 red field fits nicely.

just put one on a Seven CDL....
If you haven't bought one yet, the alloy bottom metal that CVMW, Coquille Valley Machine Works, makes it a great improvement to any 600/660 rifle. The nylon/plastic trigger guard assembly is the weak link in the design and Willie's alloy unit is a drop-in fit replacement.

Call Willie Manning at 541-260-6246. Tell him that you saw this on 24HCF and he may even give you a discount.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you haven't bought one yet, the alloy bottom metal that CVMW, Coquille Valley Machine Works, makes it a great improvement to any 600/660 rifle. The nylon/plastic trigger guard assembly is the weak link in the design and Willie's alloy unit is a drop-in fit replacement.

Call Willie Manning at 541-260-6246. Tell him that you saw this on 24HCF and he may even give you a discount.

I have Willie's bottom metal on my two walnut stocked 600 Mohawk rifles. Willie's bottom metal is superb.
Another vote for CVMW. His work is on my 7mm-08 (in pic above).
I have a Leupold 2-7x28 on a 660 and it is a great setup.
Another vote for CVMW. His work is on my 7mm-08 (in pic above).

I had seen his bottom metal before. But, seeing it again, I ordered one. It's now on the gun posted above. Great quality. Too bad Remington couldn't have seen fit to offer something like that to begin with.

I had to open up the area around the trigger to accommodate the Timney. Not a big deal.

DF
A pristine 600 in .350 is a heirloom piece to be passed on ! Thinking a mint 2.5-8x loopy would be a great fit !
Posted By: PBR Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 05/14/16
For the last couple of years I've used the FX3 3x scope on mune. Like it alot. Prior to that had the standby 6x36 which was fine as well.

Paul

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bhemry Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 05/15/16
Beautiful picture of your rifle, PBR.
Posted By: PBR Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 05/15/16
Thanks - these little 600's always seem to look best when they're in a pine forest.

Paul
Originally Posted by cervus
I have a 600mohawk Im looking to scope shortly. Looking to put a kahles cl 2-7x36mm on it.

What caliber is your Mohawk? .308?
Posted By: cervus Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 05/16/16
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Yes it is 308, Im a bit of a mohawk nut and I own 2 of them both in 308...1 is a hunter the other is a safe queen in very original condition.. They are scarce as hens teeth in NZ!!
Posted By: bangeye Re: Scope for a Remington M600 - 05/16/16
The Leupold 2x7 is never a bad choice on a hunting rifle. The only con to them is they are a bit short for long action rifles. Ditto for the 2x7 redfield.
PBR,

That gun has the nicest looking custom bottom metal I've seen. I love the lines and the way the trigger sits at the back of the trigger guard.

Some of the McM 600 stocks (M-7), with the turned around 700 ADL trigger guards, look sorta weird, the trigger sitting way forward in the trigger guard. This one looks like a custom 600 should look.

I like the stock, too.

DF
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Yes it is 308, Im a bit of a mohawk nut and I own 2 of them both in 308...1 is a hunter the other is a safe queen in very original condition.. They are scarce as hens teeth in NZ!!

My lovely Bride inherited her Mohawk 600 in .308 after her father's untimely demise from a heart attack in 1988. He was only 50 years old. He bought that for her. It's scoped with a Leupold 3-9x40 that he purchased for it before he died. Her rifle was the economy model. No vent rib and a synthetic trigger guard and magazine floor plate. It looks much better now. I purchased some nice bottom metal (real metal) for it and installed it. I really like the portability of the rifle. She hunted with it while growing up, and she uses it now when she gets a chance to deer hunt in a state that trusts it's citizenry with center fire rifles.
All my 600s are highly modified but I feel Leopold's 2.5-8 is the perfect size and weight scope for a Rem600.
VX-2, 2-7x33 may be a bit more compact than the VX-3, 1.75-6x32, pictured above on my Mohawk. The 2-7 can be had, IIRC, with the CDS, the 1.75-6 has to be sent back for
CDS retrofit.

The new VX-2 series is pushing the VX-3 in glass quality from what I've seen.

DF
© 24hourcampfire