Home
Can't decide what to ride on the CLR, after it gets back from Melvin.....new 3-9 conquest or a VXR 3-9 w/CDS? Of course, I'll have to find Talleys for the 30mm vxr, but which other will probably hop on a 243 encore, so be buying more 30mn, regardless. ????? Then again, the vxr could jump in another hunting AR build whenever I get around to it.
I've got 3 of Melvin's guns, 2 with one inch scopes and one with a 30mm, it just seems like the one inch scopes balance a little better on his guns...but it all boils down to personal preference, Melvin should have the 30 mm talley's if you go that route..
This is a VX-6 2-12 for load development on my Forbes 308. I will be switching to a VX-R 3-9 for hunting season.

[Linked Image]
I think I'm going to put a FX-III 6x42 Leupold on mine.
I've got another Big Sky 6x42, but just not a fixed junky anymore.

The Zeiss and Leupold are about the same size/weight, so I guess it's more of a coin flip.
I just got my flyweight Savage LWH back today. I put a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 on it. I couldn't be happier with everything about the Accupoint, balance/size included.
This will be my intro into Melvin's rifles, and (ideally) the CLR/Nula conversion will be my 'test bed', to refine my wants/needs for a full on M20/24.
After some comparisons tonight in fading and low light, the VX-R is going on my CLR....brightness/clarity were a coin toss. Ease of getting behind/eye box was VX-R, hands down. My eyes and my 16yr old son: both of us preferred getting behind and looking through the Leupold. The Zeiss is great glass, that will ride a 243 I have just fine. The 4" eye relief seemed critical on box....4" ONLY, shade more/less/out of center, and it was a no go. With the VXR, it was just like my other Leupolds: throw it up anywhere close, and you're good to go. Just my take. I love 'shooters' as much as anyone, but if it's not fast also, it's just not as versatile to me. If I can't live with the 30mm tube and balance/looks on the CLR, I'll go back to the drawing board of 1" scopes.
© 24hourcampfire