Home
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Budget Spotting Scope? - 05/01/16
I'm looking for a low cost spotting scope to use at the range. This scope is not going up and down mountains being exposed to freezing rain. I need something to keep with my range gear that will allow me to see .243 holes in targets at 200 yards and impact splashes on metal plates at 400 yards. What are your recommendations?
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Budget Spotting Scope? - 05/01/16
The 60 mm spotters are the usual size. The variable power ones are in.

While my eyesight is good I found them just short of the best resolution on some shots at 200 yds.

The Konus 80mm spotter I got is excellent and superior in resolution. Of course its big and heavy and not for carrying in the field.

Konus spot 80

[Linked Image]

$229.
Posted By: Dre Re: Budget Spotting Scope? - 05/01/16
I have a minox md 50 angled and love it. I do use shoot n see targets. But I also use this to go in pack while hunting.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Budget Spotting Scope? - 05/06/16
Many thanks! Any other recommendations?
I'm happy with my Theron. .22 holes at 200 against light target are visible for me; against a black bullseye not so much.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Budget Spotting Scope? - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by Dre
I have a minox md 50 angled and love it. I do use shoot n see targets. But I also use this to go in pack while hunting.
I have one of these, as well. Last year at Quemado, some of the guys did a comparison of several scopes ranging from cheap to expensive and mine was judged second only to one of the high end European scopes. I haven't used it in the field yet, but will have it in the daypack while hunting Coues whitetails this fall. Still trying to get used to quickly getting on a distant object under field conditions. I have used only straight scopes for over twenty-five years until buying this one.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Budget Spotting Scope? - 05/12/16
Really like my MD 50. Call Doug and see if there are any open box sales.
© 24hourcampfire