Home
I'm looking at buying a spotting scope.
Never owned one.
Use for hunting only sparingly.
Mostly at the range 100-400 yards.
Angled or Straight?? please school me on this.

I buy a lot of Leupold.
Don't want to spend more than $500.
Any good scopes to be had for this or less and is one of these Leupold's a good choice?

Leupold SX-1 Ventana Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm Armored Black

Leupold Golden Ring Compact Spotting Scope 15-30x 50mm Shadow Gray

thanks.
The last time I looked at them, the Konus 20-60x80 was the best "cheap" spotter. Thats what I would go with if its just for casual use.

I have owned a Bushnell Elite with mil reticle (awesome until it broke and they wouldn't fix it), a Sightron that was immediately returned, and a Vortex Viper HD which I still own.

I think the Vortex Viper's run $600+ but I have been very very pleased with it. I've used it to spot with for 600yd and 1000yd matches and used it on the range. For a "shooters spotter" its a great optic.

As for angled vs. straight, I prefer angled.
Gota retail $600 Bushnell Elite on ebay new for $150 over 10 years ago, been very pleased. range use only
I just picked up an Athlon Ares 15-45x65 and am impressed. I would put the optics at our just above the Viper, the size more compact, and very solid feeling. I think retail on this size is right around $500.
Nick
I just picked up an Athlon Ares 15-45x65 and am impressed. I would put the optics at our just above the Viper, the size more compact, and very solid feeling. I think retail on this size is right around $500.
Nick
Posted By: BH63 Re: Spotting Scope Recommendation - 05/17/16
I bought the Leo Compact and so far I love it. Very lightweight and optics seem just as good as the Leo scopes.

I have never used it in wet or extremely cold conditions though, so time will tell.

BH63
I have a Leupold Compact also. I use it mostly at the range but took it on a moose hunt in Maine a few years ago. Easy to pack for hiking around looking over clear cuts, it came in handy and we looked over a few bulls with it that we were able to determine weren’t shooters.
Typical Leupold quality. I think it would be fine for the ranges you’re talking about.
Used 12-40x60 Leupolds come up now and again for ~$600.
I have the Leupold 15-30 compact GR and like it. You can find it within your budget.
I have two spotters

Both Leupold but t are miles and miles apart

The crap.....Sequoia

The best....12-40x60 Gold Ring....love it
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11214117#Post11214117
Not Leupold but not bad and you can't beat the warranty
© 24hourcampfire