Home
So for most of the family plinking rifles I usually put Vortex Diamondbacks on them and call them good. They do the job and they are reasonably priced. I've been putting together a varmint rifle to try and thin a Coyote boom we are having lately and settled on the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40. After spending some time with it the last couple days and even unmounting a Diamondback for side by side comparisons I'm a little underwhelmed.

The Leupold has much better color and contrast, the glass is a little clearer, but after sunset where the Leupold is supposed to shine with low light I can't tell any difference with them side by side on the same magnification. Supposedly the Diamondback has 92% light transmission and the VX-3i is 98% but I wouldn't believe it. Also the VX-3i has a small field of view which I didn't think would bother me as much as it does.

Am I asking too much from the VX-3i?

Diamondback HP's......?

have two 2-8's & one 3-12......all DBC's

love 'em.......call Doug at Cameraland...big sale this weekend
The Leupie is head and shoulders above the Diamondback. Not even close.
Everyone's eyes are different. For me the the Leupold is much better.
Leopold vs Diamondback; Glass quality is a win, low light about the same, and FOV not even close.

It's my first Leupold, and I'm not upset about it, just doesn't fill the need I have. I needed something to bust coyotes with from just before dark to after dark and thought that's what I was getting.

Just wondering how a Viper HS would compare in low light since they are about the same price.
I have no experience with Diamondback scopes but love my VX3 3.5-10X40 scope. You mention FOV the Vortex wins but never mention what scope you are using. Looking at all the current offerings from Vortex, the diamondback lineup all has a better FOV listed than the VX3i you bought. I never believe light transmission claims, not unless an independent laboratory has done the testing.
Have had several units from both makers. While Vortex does make models that compare to the VX III, their Diamondback line is not among them. You'd need to go Viper, Razor, etc.

The 'everyone's eye sees differently' line does not cut it here. Everyone can perceive 4 cylinder Japanese cars differently, but anyone who can't discern between a stock Corolla and a Subaru WRX STI has not driven both.
WingsFan
I'm like you I have a bunch of Leupold. I bought a Diamondback 4x12 ao an its clearer than my VX 3s. I have been a leupold snob for a long time but, There is a new kid on the block and the Vipers are better yet. Buy a Vortex warranty is good as gold.
I have come so close to buying vortex a few times but always go with leupold
So to those who have both how is low light on the Viper HS vs the VX-3/VX-3i? They are the about the same price.

Talus, I'll totally agree that the Leupold has better glass than the diamondback, I said as much in my first post. Just hoping that the VX-3i lived up to the low light hype and marketing.
Can't say about the HS, but the regular Viper and the VX3 are very similar.
You still haven't told us what diamondback scope you are using.
I have several diamondback models (no HPs) on various rifles.
Wings,

Re low-light hype -- All the scopes I have ever owned would allow me to shoot well after legal shooting hours. That's a few minutes after. Which is not as impressive as it may sound, because lots of light is left then (many times).

I have had Vortex scopes and Leupolds perform this way. The Vortex was a Viper, though.

Of all the scopes I've ever owned, the Leupy holds on a little longer in the VX III class, as well as the 6 x 42 with the better glass.

But live up to the hype? No. None of them do that. They still do far better than my eyes. I have tested this throughout my hunting career, though, which includes many years with better eyes. Lowlight performance gets worse as your eyes get older.

Good Shooting,

Jeff

BTW, I now own an illuminated scope and have never used it after legal shooting hours, so cannot comment on it. If I predator hunt at night, which is legal here, I will.
Thanks Talus. Because I'm shooting coyotes to protect the livestock there is no legal shooting hours, and from their activity it'll mostly be 1-2 hours after sunset which there is still some light out.

Just trying to find a scope that will gather every last little bit of light that won't break the bank completely.
Can you change the zero on the custom CDS dial or do you have to order a new dial? For instance, if you wanted to change from a 100 yard 0 to a 200 yard 0?
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze
Can you change the zero on the custom CDS dial or do you have to order a new dial? For instance, if you wanted to change from a 100 yard 0 to a 200 yard 0?

I think someone posted in the wrong thread.
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze

Just move the dial to 200 yards. But, the zero stop will still be at 100. If you want, you can drill a small hole and insert a ball bearing for a zero stop, just like the factory does. That would save $65 for a new dial. The ballistics and trajectory will be the same, whether you have a 50 yard zero or a 350 yard zero.
If you have a custom yardage dial, that won't work. The MOA dial will, but not yardage.
Originally Posted by KenMi

.... If you want, you can drill a small hole and insert a ball bearing for a zero stop, just like the factory does. That would save $65 for a new dial.....

This is what I did, and here is what I used Chrome balls on Amazon. Just be sure not to drill the hole to deep... I almost did. smile

Leupolds may have smaller fields of view because they give more eye relief than many other scopes. If you shoot something that kicks, you will appreciate the extra 1/2 to 1 inch distance.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
If you have a custom yardage dial, that won't work. The MOA dial will, but not yardage.

Please explain as to why.

If you move the dial to 200 yards, and double check your actual zero, all the further distances will still work with the trajectory. You will still have a 100 yard marking, and can either dial down to that, if needed, or replace the zero stop bearing, as described above. You can't sight in at 200 with the dial zeroed at 100 though, or the everything would be high.
I'm sorry KenMi, when you explained it the way you just did it will work. I was previously thinking you meant to say zeroing the rifle at 200, but still using the 100yd zero stop would work, which it won't. Sorry I screwed that up.
You can also make a multiple position zero stop by drilling and tapping the underside of the turret and installing small allen set screws. Just back out whichever one you want to use, so it hits the stop. (100, 200, etc.).
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
The Leupie is head and shoulders above the Diamondback. Not even close.

I agree!, the Viper may be comparable but the VX3 has better glass than the diamondback.
© 24hourcampfire